Freeze dried products from the USA

Food topics, including recipes.

Freeze dried products from the USA

Postby jjoz58 » Tue 25 Feb, 2014 10:40 am

I had to order more freeze dried and dehydrated fruit and veggies for the coming year so placed an order with the supplier I use in the states. I usually use settlers mince, http://settlersfoods.com.au/, for the protein component, and that's okay for a couple of days, but since we are doing some longer treks this year, with up to 8 days between caches, I wanted variety in the meat, I don't think we could go for 30 days with mince meat only meals. We've tried cans of chicken etc and that again is okay for a couple of days but the weight for 7-8 days trekking would be to much.

I have never ordered meat, from the states before, because of the perceived customs regulations about no meat, but for an exercise I ordered and got sent 16oz of both chicken and diced beef (= 56oz fresh). Both parcels, the meat was in a separate parcel from the veggies, hit customs on Monday. There was a hold, as per usual, and quarantine check, and both parcels were delivered today. The meat was in Mylar bags, with labels and the declaration was clearly marked freeze dried chicken 16oz and freeze dried beef 16oz. Both parcels came via DHL.

I still don't know what the regulations are, concerning meat, but since these came through no problems I am going to order more as well as their freeze dried sausage. Also I plan to order some actual meals and some of their bread mixes and see how they go.

For those interested I use http://www.packitgourmet.com/ If you have never done your own meals before try the http://www.packitgourmet.com/BeanVeggiePack.html or one of their other veggie packs. It contains some of just about all their varieties of dried veggies, both freeze and dehydrated. Its a good way to experiment with your recipes and decide what you actually like and make meals for your taste and to the size you require. I usually make up a one serve meal, we try it, adjust spices etc and then using that information I can make up 1, 2 or 3 serve meal packs. I do up a label with the date packed, what it is, servings and water needed for each packet, which is vacuum packed in a mylar bag .

Their charts and tables page,http://www.packitgourmet.com/trail-food-facts/fieldguide/charts.html, is excellent with all the nutritional info etc in excel files, so just add a column to convert ounces to grams, and your laughing. Hints - go easy with the amounts, one tablespoon doesn't seem like much but it can certainly expand in some cases and overpower a meal if you put in to much. The other thing is look at the dried to fresh table. My wife made a snack pack of 60 grams of Strawberry slices, they are great to munch on, and ate the whole lot (= 600 grams of fresh). Also made a stir fried mix and added a cup of zucchini slices (= 20 cups fresh).

I'll update you on how I go with future meat products and just for info, I have never had a parcel of fruit and veggies denied clearance.

JJ
JJ
jjoz58
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Queensland

Re: Freeze dried products from the USA

Postby jjoz58 » Thu 27 Feb, 2014 5:15 pm

Just after posting the original post I ordered 6 x 16oz packets of meat, 2 each of chicken, beef and sausage as well as 3 of their bread mixes (Cranberry Orange Griddle Scones and rasberry jam, Rustic Skillet Bread and Skillet Buttermilk Biscuits with honey) . They came by DHL again and are in Brisbane quick postage, stopped for a customs/quarantine check. Here's hoping they come through ok.
JJ
jjoz58
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Bubbalouie » Thu 27 Feb, 2014 10:46 pm

You may have some troubles with chicken. After a trip in NZ we had several meals left over which we decided to take home. Everything was allowed but the stuff containing chicken, I believe it had something to do with certain viruses being able to survive the freeze drying process.

Hopefully all goes well though.
Bubbalouie
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: South Australia

Postby jjoz58 » Thu 27 Feb, 2014 11:08 pm

Already got the first parcel through with chicken clearly indicated on the invoice, so you never know.
JJ
jjoz58
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Bubbalouie » Fri 28 Feb, 2014 9:21 pm

Huh, nice.
Bubbalouie
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: South Australia

Postby jjoz58 » Sat 01 Mar, 2014 5:21 pm

Cleared today for delivery probably on Monday. That's 2 out of two parcels of meat. Not making any assertions, maybe I'm just lucky.

Add On - Received it today Monday 3rd March no problems.
JJ
jjoz58
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Return to Bush Tucker