A Tip for Taking Frozen Leftovers Bushwalking

Food topics, including recipes.

A Tip for Taking Frozen Leftovers Bushwalking

Postby Son of a Beach » Wed 18 Mar, 2009 8:21 am

As wobbly and spider also mentioned in another topic, I sometimes take fresh or frozen leftovers for dinners. This way I get excellent food, with not much effort required to prepare it at camp. Of course it's heavy so only suitable for short walks or for the first night or two of longer walks (or it might go off).

In the past, I've sometimes had problems where frozen leftovers haven't thawed in time which results in two problems: Firstly, it is difficult to reheat, as you cannot stir a frozen lump very well, and secondly, when using a small billy, you may not even be able to get the frozen lump into the billy without breaking it into pieces (eg, using a rock) beforehand (which can have other negative results which I don't need to go into here).

For the BWT 2nd anniversary walk this weekend I'll be using this small billy and I'm planning to take frozen leftovers for both nights' dinners, with the first one being left over spag-bog from last night.

My wife came up with the clever idea of freezing it in the billy itself (in a plastic bag), which I did. This morning, I was able to pull it out of the billy, still in its plastic bag, nicely frozen and I know that it will fit easily back into the billy when it comes time to reheat it, whether it's still frozen or not.

I'll be doing the same thing with the Saucy Bacon and Chicken Casserole we're cooking on Thursday night for the second dinner on the weekend.

I guess this is probably obvious to some people, but it only just clicked with me last night.
Son of a Beach
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Bit Map (NIXANZ)
Region: Tasmania

Return to Bush Tucker