Dehydrating AND rehydrating yoghurt?

Food topics, including recipes.

Re: Dehydrating AND rehydrating yoghurt?

Postby gayet » Wed 03 Jun, 2015 11:37 am

The agitated incubation will have the greatest impact. To get a set rather than "curdled" milk, it needs to be still.
gayet
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Region: Victoria

Postby Orion » Thu 04 Jun, 2015 7:30 am

So I tried it, following the instruction on this web site.

At the suggested temperature it took a long time to dehydrate. By long I mean over 24 hours. It quickly turned into a sort of gummy fruit leather but getting it to a drier state was so very slow. Removing the result from the fruit roll-up sheet was also a lot of work. The blade coffee grinder made quick work of it, turning it into a sticky powder.

The web site suggested 2:1 or 3:1 ratio of water to powder but this was way too runny. I ended up using something closer to 1.3:1. I waited and waited for it to fully dissolve but a certain grittiness remained even an hour after mixing it with cool water. But it was kind of like yogurt in consistency; maybe a cross between yogurt and thin hummus.

The taste? Oh, well, it wasn't that good. The overwhelming feature was a kind of tartness that was not so pleasant. The sweetness was hard to discern and the vanilla flavor was only a memory.

Now it could be the yogurt I chose wasn't appropriate. The web site mentions that some yogurts work better than others. I prefer runnier yogurts than what used to be standard yogurt. In fact, it is sometimes referred to as "Australian style" yogurt, which is ironic now that strained, so-called "Greek" yogurt has taken over most of the shelf space in supermarkets, including in Australia. Also, I eat non-fat yogurt and that may have also had an important effect. And since it was a vanilla flavored yogurt there was added sucrose. The ingredients were nonfat milk, sucrose, vanilla and cultures. Anyway, that's what I started with, a local organic yogurt that is wonderful when fresh. Dehydrated and reconstituted it was like the instant coffee of yogurt.

I won't be doing that again.
Orion
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Other Country

Postby cam_mcd » Tue 16 Jun, 2015 9:16 pm

FYI this is on sale again at Kogan. Just bought one.
Link is for a mobile site, otherwise just google Kogan Dehydrator
https://m.kogan.com/au/buy/kitchen-cout ... or-deluxe/
Edit: I think I meant to post this in the other post re Dehydrators
cam_mcd
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: Victoria

Previous

Return to Bush Tucker