Cheap and easy trail sauce (Cup-a-Soups)

Food topics, including recipes.

Cheap and easy trail sauce (Cup-a-Soups)

Postby quill » Sun 22 Mar, 2015 12:33 am

I like the idea of dehydes, but I'm a student and the cost of dehydrating in terms of bills is prohibitive. No complaints, very lucky to get anything at all but living on a total of $250pw not including rent or bills is difficult.

Anyway, having made and optimised Coke-can ovens, I found they're excellent with some tweaking. A simmer version may be made by adjusting the size of the vaporisation chamber larger - my simmer version stretches 15ml of metho to around 8min of low-velocity simmering goodness, including priming.

Add 300ml of water, and two packets of the Cup-a-Soup soup of your choice. Simply simmer, stirring, for maybe 7-10min, and you have reduced it into a very serviceable sauce for dehyde rice, topping for toast etc. Also excellent and nutritious with a tin of tuna. Add some more water and the dehyde rice directly for a one-pot meal with protein, carbs and a lot of taste for maybe $3, depending on if you buy your produce on sale. I can make it for $2 by stocking up on sale items.

Enjoy! I like Thai Laksa. :)
quill
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: South Australia

Re: Cheap and easy trail sauce (Cup-a-Soups)

Postby vicrev » Sun 22 Mar, 2015 8:10 pm

I think maybe too many phosphates for me.......... :shock:
vicrev
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Region: Victoria

Return to Bush Tucker