Thermos + pasta + boiling water + 20min =...

Food topics, including recipes.

Thermos + pasta + boiling water + 20min =...

Postby quill » Sun 05 Apr, 2015 5:44 pm

Hi guys

I did a search and found nothing (here or even really in the wider web), and there is no way in heck I'm the first to think of this. So I thought I'd share in hopes someone can help improve the technique or offer anecdotes haha.

I love pasta and if boiling it weren't so fuel-intensive, the combination of very low weight, high caloric density and the fact it will survive nuclear winter make it an attractive option for bushwalking. It's also a perfect way to make a little sauce go a long way.

Anyway, I just half-filled my Thermos with pasta, topped it off with boiling water, left it for 20min with the occasional swirl. Opened it up, perfect pasta.

Again, I know this is probably an accepted and widespread technique but I thought I'd share anyway. I myself am very pleased, as is my 1/4 Italian blood haha. :)

Quill
quill
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: South Australia

Re: Thermos + pasta + boiling water + 20min =...

Postby Orion » Mon 06 Apr, 2015 9:20 am

Insulating the food with a pot cozy so it stays hot isn't a new idea. A thermos is kind of heavy though. Are you sure the fuel to keep the pot at a low simmer doesn't weigh a lot less?
Orion
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Other Country

Re: Thermos + pasta + boiling water + 20min =...

Postby Tortoise » Mon 06 Apr, 2015 7:22 pm

You might be committed to wheat rather than rice based pasta. But I use rice vermicelli or flat rice noodles, which take only about 2 minutes sitting in boiling water, now using a pot cosy.
Tortoise
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Tasmania

Return to Bush Tucker