Desktop version
Food topics, including recipes.
Post a reply

Home de-hydrated food into tassie

Mon 13 Apr, 2015 5:49 pm

Just reading the travelers guide to Tasmanian quarantine........

It's says commercially dried food is OK........

We are hoping to de-hydrate our food prior which will include fruit and vegetables.......five of us, seven days of food

Do they allow home de-hydrated food through??

Re: Home de-hydrated food into tassie

Mon 13 Apr, 2015 6:09 pm

I've never had any problems with my own food.

You need to make sure there are no seeds that could sprout and that it's cooked.

Mon 13 Apr, 2015 8:26 pm

We've taken in home-dried food on a number of occasions with no problems. Got sprung by the sniffers once (think the curry was fairly aromatic) but were allowed through after the food was inspected and given the OK. From what they said, they get a bit concerned about anything that is not properly dried. Just make sure it's thoroughly dry and you should be fine.
Max.

Mon 13 Apr, 2015 8:54 pm

Thanks guys.............we have to first master de-hydration first got til Jan 16

Tue 14 Apr, 2015 5:06 am

G'day Weeds,
I know of quite a few people who have brought in their own dehydrated meals without issue. Hope the Defender is still going well :wink: .

Tue 14 Apr, 2015 5:22 am

simonm wrote:G'day Weeds,
I know of quite a few people who have brought in their own dehydrated meals without issue. Hope the Defender is still going well :wink: .

Sadly the defender is gone.....with hail damage and getting a company car it didn't make sense to keep her.

Tue 14 Apr, 2015 10:44 am

weeds wrote:Thanks guys.............we have to first master de-hydration first got til Jan 16

While your at it weeds don't forget to master re hydration too :wink:

Mon 20 Apr, 2015 5:34 pm

I had all the milk powder confiscated when arriving on an international flight via Melb! Also not told that it had been removed, only to discover by accident that my pack had been repacked. I guess white powder worried someone.

Sun 26 Jul, 2015 5:48 pm

I have recently invested in a cheap dehydrator. Trials so far have been:
1. Rice - white, brown, red and black. Yet to rehydrate
2. Risoni pasta - comes back well and in reasonable time
3. Pearl couscous - good. Fast recovery
4. Quinoa - yet to rehydrate
5. Canned mango - better than store bought!
6. Char grilled capsicum - tastes great straight out of the dryer.

And assorted other bits like mashed garlic and fresh ginger paste, steamed shredded chicken. Not worth repeating were the canned pear slices, while canned peach slices were ok, as were the fresh kiwi fruit slices.
On the list are puy lentils and shredded smoked chicken. Might also try some flaked salmon or tuna.

Sun 26 Jul, 2015 8:53 pm

gayet wrote:I have recently invested in a cheap dehydrator. Trials so far have been:
1. Rice - white, brown, red and black. Yet to rehydrate
2. Risoni pasta - comes back well and in reasonable time
3. Pearl couscous - good. Fast recovery
4. Quinoa - yet to rehydrate
5. Canned mango - better than store bought!
6. Char grilled capsicum - tastes great straight out of the dryer.

And assorted other bits like mashed garlic and fresh ginger paste, steamed shredded chicken. Not worth repeating were the canned pear slices, while canned peach slices were ok, as were the fresh kiwi fruit slices.
On the list are puy lentils and shredded smoked chicken. Might also try some flaked salmon or tuna.

Good selection just don't try Canned Tuna Slices :lol:
Post a reply