Powdered potato

Food topics, including recipes.

Powdered potato

Postby mikethepike » Sun 31 May, 2015 10:28 pm

I've alwats taken dried potato powder on multiday walks for at least a third of night meals and up till last year, I could buy it at the supermarket. I can't remember who made it - Edgell I think. It's apparently no longer available. Yes I could dry my own of course and may have to in future but the commercial stuff was no bother. Does anyone know if you can still get this product?
mikethepike
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Re: Powdered potato

Postby icefest » Mon 01 Jun, 2015 12:05 am

Have a look at gaganis. They still import the pure stuff. Failing that can you replace it with deb?
Men wanted for hazardous journey. Low wages, bitter cold, long hours of complete darkness. Safe return doubtful.
icefest
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Victoria

Postby perfectlydark » Mon 01 Jun, 2015 7:48 am

Have no trouble finding it here in woolies or aldi stocks their own (a bit bland though). Funnily i prefer the powdered potato to regular mash!
perfectlydark
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Region: New South Wales

Postby Son of a Beach » Mon 01 Jun, 2015 9:25 am

You can get "potato flakes" at a lot of health food shops. These are much the same thing, but without all the extra rubbish added to them. In fact, you may want to add your own salt or butter, etc. They're great.

Edgell's powdered version is good though. Better than Deb!
Son of a Beach
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Bit Map (NIXANZ)
Region: Tasmania

Postby RonK » Mon 01 Jun, 2015 10:15 am

Son of a Beach wrote:Edgell's powdered version is good though. Better than Deb!

Pah! Deb with Onions - can't be bettered. :)
RonK

Region: Queensland

Postby icefest » Mon 01 Jun, 2015 11:46 am

If you're in Victoria, try Hindustan imports. They often have the pure stuff too.
Men wanted for hazardous journey. Low wages, bitter cold, long hours of complete darkness. Safe return doubtful.
icefest
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby mikethepike » Mon 01 Jun, 2015 7:12 pm

Thanks everyone. Your comments made me go back to Coles and practically insist they find it for me. I forgot the magic word -Deb! by Continental. Mashed potato and onion of course There it was, the only packet stuff in a sea of canned food.
mikethepike
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby keithy » Wed 27 Apr, 2016 8:21 pm

Sorry to bump this thread again, but I've only recently got into instant mash.

I met a guy in NZ doing the TA trail at a hut, and his nightly meal was cold instant mash with tomato sauce.

I've been meaning to try it out (hot and cold) on walks, and last week bought the Continental - Deb variety in the 100g bag. It's pretty good, quick and not bad cold. And doesn't use much water.

Has anyone tried the Coles branded version http://shop.coles.com.au/online/nationa ... ed-instant ? Any good?
keithy

Region: Other Country

Postby RonK » Wed 27 Apr, 2016 9:40 pm

keithy wrote:I've been meaning to try it out (hot and cold) on walks, and last week bought the Continental - Deb variety in the 100g bag. It's pretty good, quick and not bad cold. And doesn't use much water.

Deb with Onions is the best. Can't understand why you would to eat it cold for want of 500ml of hot water. Hard to believe it reconstitutes properly in cold water either.
RonK

Postby keithy » Wed 27 Apr, 2016 10:08 pm

RonK wrote:Can't understand why you would to eat it cold for want of 500ml of hot water. Hard to believe it reconstitutes properly in cold water either.

The guy I met didn't carry cook kit. Only had titanium pot/mug and ate cold food. I offered to share some of my dehy hot meal with him and he declined, but he did enjoy a hot cuppa though.

I've only tried the Deb standard one, and it is ok with cold water, but takes more stirring to get there (and maybe a bit more water than when hot). Not as nice as hot, but it works. I'm just wondering if the Coles one tastes as nice, or is bland. I'm going to look for some of those potato flakes as well to try them out.

Really just seeing what I can use if I have a cook kit failure when out. I have some ready to eat meals which are nicer hot, but have eaten them cold as well, and they were fine. And I normally eat cooked oats for brekky, but am trying cold oats (left in covered pot overnight) with some dehy fruit thrown in.
keithy

Postby Eremophila » Wed 27 Apr, 2016 10:22 pm

I did notice last week that Woolies here seem to have de-stocked the Edgell Instant Mash, and now only have Deb :? Haven't tried it out yet.

Since buying instant mash for camping trips, I've started using it as a thickener for stews & casseroles occasionally. Much easier than flour, doesn't go so lumpy. Someone also told me (a qualified chef) that it makes better tuna patties than actual mashed potato.

My "comfort" meal when bushwalking is: dehydrated peas - added to water when cold; bring water to boil; simmer peas for a couple of minutes, then add to instant mash. Stir in one or two triangles of Laughing Cow cheese. Pure stodge, warming and guaranteed to fill you up!
Eremophila

Postby Aidan » Thu 28 Apr, 2016 2:31 am

The Deb with onions is good but even better with the addition of one of those sachets of chilli'd salmon
https://www.woolworths.com.au/shop/brow ... tId=176246

Actually it was RonK who put me onto the Deb with onions quite a while back now and the addition of chilli'd salmon was my own experiment :D
Aidan
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: New Zealand

Postby Turfa » Thu 28 Apr, 2016 5:12 pm

Eremophila wrote:My "comfort" meal when bushwalking is: dehydrated peas - added to water when cold; bring water to boil; simmer peas for a couple of minutes, then add to instant mash. Stir in one or two triangles of Laughing Cow cheese. Pure stodge, warming and guaranteed to fill you up!

Add some Bacon Bits and that is a winner !
Turfa
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Australia

Postby Strider » Thu 28 Apr, 2016 6:13 pm

I like to add some diced green capsicum too :)

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk
Strider
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby walk2wineries » Thu 28 Apr, 2016 7:16 pm

but am trying cold oats (left in covered pot overnight) with some dehy fruit thrown in.

Call it Bircher Muesli & the coffee shops charge $15 for it! :D
walk2wineries
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: South Australia

Postby RonK » Thu 28 Apr, 2016 7:21 pm

Another good option is instant couscous. There are many choices on the supermarket shelves, and it can also be flavoured with stock or soup mix and enhanced with foil packed fish or Jack Links beef jerky nuggets.
RonK

Postby walk2wineries » Thu 28 Apr, 2016 7:59 pm

Reminds me sometimes Aldi has very good buys on Jerky; wasn't bad.
walk2wineries
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby keithy » Thu 28 Apr, 2016 9:25 pm

walk2wineries wrote:Call it Bircher Muesli & the coffee shops charge $15 for it! :D

Haha.. I'm still putting too much water in for cold overnight oats though - I'm trying to gauge how much less water to add than when cooking the oats.

But back to the powdered mash - when adding hot water, I also put dehy peas into the boiling water before mixing the hot water into the powdered mash. For water I'm using 1.5 the amount of powdered mash and it works out ok, but when adding peas I have to go around 2 times the amount of water to powdered mash. Then I add black pepper which I carry a small ziplock bag of, and some cut up chunks of my diy jerky (more like biltong though).

walk2wineries wrote:Reminds me sometimes Aldi has very good buys on Jerky; wasn't bad.

They had that again the other week when they had their South African food theme. I bought 5 packs of their Mr Biltong again!
keithy

Postby keithy » Tue 24 May, 2016 10:03 pm

keithy wrote:Has anyone tried the Coles branded version http://shop.coles.com.au/online/nationa ... ed-instant ? Any good?

I eventually tried that Coles branded one. Bleh. Not even an excessive amount of black pepper helped.

It is cheaper, but definitely not as nice as the Deb / Continental one.

I have found an Indian store that has the potato flakes so I'll give that a try as well.
keithy

Postby paul_gee » Wed 25 May, 2016 11:28 am

Eremophila wrote:My "comfort" meal when bushwalking is: dehydrated peas - added to water when cold; bring water to boil; simmer peas for a couple of minutes, then add to instant mash. Stir in one or two triangles of Laughing Cow cheese. Pure stodge, warming and guaranteed to fill you up!

Holy-heck that sounds disgustingly good!
Crazy keen tramper / trekker / hiker. Former South Australian. Now, exploring the tracks around Melbourne and Victoria.
paul_gee
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby davidf » Wed 25 May, 2016 12:00 pm

I use brand name Deb. The home brand stuff is ordinary.

my two current favourites:

Slice and sear salami in pot, get some oil out flowing around the pot. Add water to pot and bring to boil. Throw in dehy chopped tomato and seaweed. Add herbs to liking. Once boiled add deb. Very little fuel used.

Pepper beef cupa soup mixed with deb.
davidf
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: New South Wales

Postby dopplershift » Fri 03 Jun, 2016 12:18 pm

We dehydrate our own and it's always worked well.

Very easy to make too. I just cook up a pot of mashed potato with some stock powder, milk, parmesan and plenty of butter! Sometimes I also add powdered milk to the mix. Then we dehydrate and put it in a food processor to make a fine powder.

It can rehydrate with cold water, but it takes a long time and lots of stirring. We usually heat some water (not to boiling) and add the hot water into the ziploc of powder, leave it to sit for 20mins in a pot-cosy and give it a squish every now and then. On the track, we usually eat it with homemade dehydrated chilli con carne and add fresh cabbage/brocoli/tomato. Yum.
dopplershift
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: Western Australia

Return to Bush Tucker