Food topics, including recipes.

Postby sarge » Thu 18 Oct, 2007 1:25 pm

We ran into a hiker earlier this year who was trialling hiking without a stove and relying only on food that didnt need to be cooked. His main meals consisted of muesli, dehydrated milk, dried apples and custard. (This led to us nicknaming him 'apples and custard' which he seemed to like, strangely).

He managed a 5 day hike with this menu and did admit that was a little monotonous but can proved it be done!
sarge
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby under10kg » Mon 22 Oct, 2007 8:13 am

Yes I tried a non cook weekend food bushwalk a while ago.
The big problem for me was at night when we camped and my walking companions started cooking and the smells washed over me! Aaahhhh!
under10kg
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: New South Wales

Postby Speculator » Mon 22 Oct, 2007 9:57 am

under10kg wrote:Yes I tried a non cook weekend food bushwalk a while ago.
The big problem for me was at night when we camped and my walking companions started cooking and the smells washed over me! Aaahhhh!

I know what you mean, my first overnight walk was a non-cooking one. I didn't see the point, until I could smell other peoples food and see the steam coming of their dishes. Winter makes it even harder when your food is stone cold too....
---
Peak bagging points: 10. Peak bagging bagging points: 10000.
Speculator
Optimus Imago
Optimus Imago

Region: Tasmania

Postby Son of a Beach » Mon 22 Oct, 2007 10:47 am

hmmm... I've been thinking of trying this some time. Sounds like if I ever do it, I'll have to make sure I don't camp near anyone else. :)
Son of a Beach
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Bit Map (NIXANZ)

Postby Joe » Mon 22 Oct, 2007 5:33 pm

Speculator wrote:
under10kg wrote:Yes I tried a non cook weekend food bushwalk a while ago.

I know what you mean, my first overnight walk was a non-cooking one. I didn't see the point, until I could smell other peoples food and see the steam coming of their dishes. Winter makes it even harder when your food is stone cold too....

It really is amazing just how nice even 2 minute noodles become after a while in the cold. I quite often have tried to devise a menu of cold food but always given up. Jerky/biltong is great for that...and scroggin if its good (the chilli nut mix i take is my favourite...although its found its way into my work lunchbox...and im starting to tire of it.) But even a hot cuppa is justification enough to take the stove/billie for me.
Joe
in vino veritas
in vino veritas

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Stoney Creek Outdoor Equipment.

Postby Penguin » Wed 24 Oct, 2007 8:44 am

I agree with southern state wet guy, the idea of the cuppa is why I carry a stove. Even on some day walks I am carrying a stove. 100gm gas cannister, 70 gm kovea burner and a titanium billy does not weigh much, and the coffee is great. I have been usng coffee bags. Also I have discovered miso soup as a paste and that has been a good alternative on a cold day.
Penguin
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Cold Food

Postby norts » Wed 24 Oct, 2007 9:49 am

If it is cold, a hot meal and a hot drink before going to sleep is a perfect remedy for a cold night. Especially if you have been cold and wet all day.
Only problem these days is that hot drink before going to sleep comes back to haunt me at about 2 am, thats why the wee bottle comes on a walk.
Roger
norts
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Re: No Stove, No Cooking

Postby Natt » Tue 18 Dec, 2007 10:17 am

No stove - eek

sometimes the idea of something hot is the only thing that motivates me to keep moving!

I have been known to take a hexamine stove on short trips - fussy, but ok just for VERY basic stuff
Natt
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby Gippsmick » Sat 11 Oct, 2008 3:55 pm

Normally you wouldn't get me on the track without a morning coffee - hot of course. But you have certainly sparked my curiosity and I'm keen to give it a go. Think I'll start off small - maybe a two nighter - as a trial. 5 days - sounds like a long time without hot food or drinks. Going stove-less will save a bit of weight though.
Gippsmick
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Dave Bremers » Tue 03 Nov, 2009 1:14 pm

I think going without a stove will be one of those real 'wilderness connection' experiences, it's one of the few 'luxuries' that we all seem to take. Personally, the morale boost, and hike/life saving potential of a hot meal or even a hot soup more than makes up for the weight that it contributes.

Dave
Knights of Columbus!
Dave Bremers
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Return to Bush Tucker