What is a standard serve of dehy food in grams?

Food topics, including recipes.

What is a standard serve of dehy food in grams?

Postby stellar » Wed 11 Nov, 2015 7:59 am

Hi all,

I have bought Back Country dehy mince, vegies and rice. I plan on combining them at camp to create my own meal and then adding my own spice and herb mix for flavour. I did this because these three packets have no preservatives, numbers or any artificial crap whereas the other meals are laden with them. Yes it will be bland but hoping my spice mix will improve things.

Back Country market them as a 'side serve' for 5 people. I need to make meals for 14 nights and I have bought 5 packets of each. The beef is 160g (serving size 112 grams once reconstituted), the rice is 160g (102g recon) and the vegies are 90g (88 recon).

Can anyone please tell me if this will be enough food for me? Do I assume the combination of these three serving sizes will equal how many kjs I'll need? What is the average weight per meal I should be aiming for?

I could buy more but don't want to carry extra if I don't have too. Hoping someone else has done this before an worked out how many meals per pack is realistic.

Thanks in advance.
stellar
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Region: Australian Capital Territory

Re: What is a standard serve of dehy food in grams?

Postby icefest » Wed 11 Nov, 2015 8:59 am

My home dehy meals are all around 100-110g per person per meal
Men wanted for hazardous journey. Low wages, bitter cold, long hours of complete darkness. Safe return doubtful.
icefest
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Victoria

Postby walkon » Wed 11 Nov, 2015 9:06 am

My standard serving weight for dehy stuff is 80-90grams rice/angel hair pasta and 60-80 grams for my bolognaise or veg + sauce mix. I've done the dehy backcountry thing like your doing and it works well if you get creative.

Your kjs needed all depends on how much exercise you are doing each day in your journey. I always lose weight regardless how much food that I seem to eat when hiking so now I just mix up the diet and always have a good scrog mix of nuts and things. Since I always seem to forget about adding more salt I throw in a few soup packets though you most likely wont like whatever they toss in them.

icefest is into UL and is most likely a really skinny buggar as well :D . So if you like to eat some food add a bit more to that.
Cheers Walkon

"I live in a very small house, but my windows look out on a very large world."
walkon
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Postby icefest » Wed 11 Nov, 2015 9:15 am

walkon wrote:
icefest is into UL and is most likely a really skinny buggar as well :D . So if you like to eat some food add a bit more to that.

:D

True on both counts. :p

The ul response here is to take some butter/oil to add for extra calories and to have a tasty dessert for those days where you need extra food.
Men wanted for hazardous journey. Low wages, bitter cold, long hours of complete darkness. Safe return doubtful.
icefest
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby corvus » Wed 11 Nov, 2015 3:47 pm

For a good burst of flavour I recommend the MASSEL brand of stock powders they contain nothing artificial and one teaspoonfull goes a long way.
Last edited by corvus on Wed 11 Nov, 2015 5:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
collige virgo rosas
corvus
Vercundus gearus-freakius
Vercundus gearus-freakius

Region: Tasmania

Postby stry » Wed 11 Nov, 2015 5:28 pm

Good suggestion Corvus.I use the Massel stuff at home but hadn't thought of using them walking.

I usually add some preground sea salt and pepper, plus some calorie heavy olive oil.

To the OP - this is one of those how long is a piece of string or suck it and see issues. We are all so different in what we need.

Dummy some up at home, try it and adjust quantity as you feel necessary.
stry
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby stellar » Wed 18 Nov, 2015 4:09 pm

Rad, thank for the suggestions.

Spices and stock cubes seem to be winners.

Next year I hope to get into making my own food. I've heard it's easy I just have to do it.

Packed up and almost ready to go...
stellar
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby icefest » Wed 18 Nov, 2015 5:40 pm

Have a great walk!
icefest
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby GraemeSpedding » Sat 23 Apr, 2016 8:38 pm

stellar wrote:Hi all,

I have bought Back Country dehy mince, vegies and rice. I plan on combining them at camp to create my own meal and then adding my own spice and herb mix for flavour. I did this because these three packets have no preservatives, numbers or any artificial crap whereas the other meals are laden with them. Yes it will be bland but hoping my spice mix will improve things.

Back Country market them as a 'side serve' for 5 people. I need to make meals for 14 nights and I have bought 5 packets of each. The beef is 160g (serving size 112 grams once reconstituted), the rice is 160g (102g recon) and the vegies are 90g (88 recon).

Can anyone please tell me if this will be enough food for me? Do I assume the combination of these three serving sizes will equal how many kjs I'll need? What is the average weight per meal I should be aiming for?

I could buy more but don't want to carry extra if I don't have too. Hoping someone else has done this before an worked out how many meals per pack is realistic.

Thanks in advance.

You might also like to try STRIVE FOODS in Hobart who will make up meal packs for up to 15 people. They make good dehyd meals ( or ingredients) and very happy to modify meals to suit diets and so on.
"Dare your genius to walk the Wild Uncharted Way" B. Courtney
GraemeSpedding
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Region: Western Australia

Postby CasualNerd » Tue 26 Apr, 2016 11:06 pm

GraemeSpedding wrote:You might also like to try STRIVE FOODS in Hobart who will make up meal packs for up to 15 people. They make good dehyd meals ( or ingredients) and very happy to modify meals to suit diets and so on.

Maybe I caught them on a bad day, but I requested meals without starch component, even offered to pay extra and they declined.
CasualNerd
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Tasmania

Postby zac150 » Wed 04 May, 2016 7:46 pm

Hi I home dehydrate but usually work on 125g of mince (raw weight) and 75g of dehydrated rice. I usually mix this with premixed seasoning I get from local markets or web sites like seasoning down under. These get you the spices to make great meals and I also look for preservative free.

My favourites are mango chicken, Moroccan lamb and I even did the stand up tacos on my last hike.
zac150
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Return to Bush Tucker