Shipping food parcels with empty zip loc bags

Food topics, including recipes.

Postby JohnStrider » Sat 28 Nov, 2015 10:45 am

Hi all,

I wasn't sure where to put this but considering it's food related I thought I would put in the Bush Tucker section.

Okay so I am sending a food parcel over to NZ in the next couple of weeks to be picked up at a later stage on my hike at the end of the year. All food is going to be pre-packaged so as far as I am aware there are no issues there, however I will also be sending over some empty Zip Loc bags for me to put my food in when I pick up the package.

Does anyone know if sending over plastic zip loc bags internationally is allowed or not?

Might sound like a silly question but both the Aus Post and NZ customs website isn't exactly clear on this.

Kind regards,

JS
JohnStrider
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Victoria

Re: Shipping food parcels with empty zip loc bags

Postby Mark F » Sat 28 Nov, 2015 11:06 am

There are no issues with shipping plastic bags. The only hiccup would be the food.
"Perfection is attained not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing more to remove".
Mark F
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Australian Capital Territory

Postby JohnStrider » Mon 30 Nov, 2015 9:22 pm

Mark F wrote:There are no issues with shipping plastic bags. The only hiccup would be the food.

Do you know if there is limit on the amount of food that can be sent via a parcel? Myself and three others are sending over about 10-12 kilos of food.
JohnStrider
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Strider » Mon 30 Nov, 2015 9:26 pm

Regardless of quantity, you will need to check with NZ Customs whether they will actually allow you to take food into NZ.

Why not just buy bags when you arrive?

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk
Strider
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby RonK » Mon 30 Nov, 2015 9:33 pm

JohnStrider wrote:Okay so I am sending a food parcel over to NZ in the next couple of weeks to be picked up at a later stage on my hike at the end of the year. All food is going to be pre-packaged so as far as I am aware there are no issues there, however I will also be sending over some empty Zip Loc bags for me to put my food in when I pick up the package.

Isn't that like shipping coal to Newcastle? Pre-packaged back country food is available from almost any supermarket or grocery store in NZ.
RonK
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Region: Queensland

Postby north-north-west » Tue 01 Dec, 2015 5:20 am

RonK wrote:Isn't that like shipping coal to Newcastle? Pre-packaged back country food is available from almost any supermarket or grocery store in NZ.

There are better - and cheaper - alternatives to Back Country. If I was going over I'd stock up on Strive.
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Social Misfits Anonymous
Region: Tasmania

Postby JohnStrider » Tue 01 Dec, 2015 8:12 pm

north-north-west wrote:
RonK wrote:Isn't that like shipping coal to Newcastle? Pre-packaged back country food is available from almost any supermarket or grocery store in NZ.

There are better - and cheaper - alternatives to Back Country. If I was going over I'd stock up on Strive.

Which is exactly what I am doing.

I've had BC before. Not a fan.

Not shipping a heap of stuff over, but just stuff - like Strive - that you can't get over there.
JohnStrider
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Return to Bush Tucker