Food & water for dry camping

Food topics, including recipes.

Food & water for dry camping

Postby rebeccalk » Fri 18 Dec, 2015 12:19 pm

Hi all,
I always camp near a water source when I hike, but for my upcoming trip to the Western Arthurs we will spend one night without water (Parks Tasmania tells me that it's very unlikely there will be water at High Moor campsite next week), so I'm hoping for some tips on dry camping and cooking.
My group is currently debating how much water to carry from the camp at Lake Oberon to last us through that day of hiking, the night at High Moor, until we reach camp at Lake Haven. We're also debating over the pros & cons of eating a dehydrated dinner that night vs eating no-cook style food (wraps, salami, etc).
Any thoughts or advice?
rebeccalk
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Region: Victoria

Re: Food & water for dry camping

Postby north-north-west » Fri 18 Dec, 2015 8:31 pm

The water at High Moor can become low but I've never heard of it drying up completely. There was plenty there a week ago, and given the rain and snow last weekend it won't be drying out that quickly.
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Social Misfits Anonymous
Region: Tasmania

Postby Gadgetgeek » Fri 18 Dec, 2015 10:17 pm

I'd go for a no-cook meal. the weight penalty is minimal considering you save water in the cooking and cleaning. Two full days without water is tough. Depending on terrain and distance I'd be thinking 3L+3L+1Lspare with no cooking water. And then sharing the load of about 0.5L per person as an emergency backup. In normal conditions that would top me out over my load limit, something to consider. Extra water carried is extra water expended in sweat. its a rocket fuel trade off.
Gadgetgeek
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Queensland

Postby rebeccalk » Sat 19 Dec, 2015 8:00 am

north-north-west wrote:The water at High Moor can become low but I've never heard of it drying up completely. There was plenty there a week ago, and given the rain and snow last weekend it won't be drying out that quickly.

That's very heartening to hear! Maybe Parks are just being overly cautious by telling us that we can't rely on the water there? Hopefully we meet someone coming the other way for an update.
rebeccalk
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby rebeccalk » Sat 19 Dec, 2015 8:08 am

Gadgetgeek wrote:I'd go for a no-cook meal. the weight penalty is minimal considering you save water in the cooking and cleaning. Two full days without water is tough. Depending on terrain and distance I'd be thinking 3L+3L+1Lspare with no cooking water. And then sharing the load of about 0.5L per person as an emergency backup. In normal conditions that would top me out over my load limit, something to consider. Extra water carried is extra water expended in sweat. its a rocket fuel trade off.

My partner is adamant that a dehy meal makes more sense, his reasoning is that the water you carry to rehydrate the food will be be equivalent to the water contained in the no-cook food and that you need to drink to digest it. So he thinks dehy vs no-cook won't make a difference to the weight of our packs, but we'll get a nicer meal with dehy, basically. But we wouldn't clean the pots :wink:
rebeccalk
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby walkon » Sat 19 Dec, 2015 8:32 am

rebeccalk wrote:
Gadgetgeek wrote:I'd go for a no-cook meal. the weight penalty is minimal considering you save water in the cooking and cleaning. Two full days without water is tough. Depending on terrain and distance I'd be thinking 3L+3L+1Lspare with no cooking water. And then sharing the load of about 0.5L per person as an emergency backup. In normal conditions that would top me out over my load limit, something to consider. Extra water carried is extra water expended in sweat. its a rocket fuel trade off.

My partner is adamant that a dehy meal makes more sense, his reasoning is that the water you carry to rehydrate the food will be be equivalent to the water contained in the no-cook food and that you need to drink to digest it. So he thinks dehy vs no-cook won't make a difference to the weight of our packs, but we'll get a nicer meal with dehy, basically. But we wouldn't clean the pots :wink:

+1. you need to get the water from somewhere. With dehy meals you dont have any waste water.
Cheers Walkon

"I live in a very small house, but my windows look out on a very large world."
walkon
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Postby Gadgetgeek » Sat 19 Dec, 2015 8:45 am

Water in is water in, so in that case I suppose you are right.
Gadgetgeek
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Queensland

Postby Mark F » Sat 19 Dec, 2015 8:49 am

I agree with
walkon wrote:My partner is adamant that a dehy meal makes more sense,

Another argument in favour of this approach is that you will carry the extra water in the no cook meal for several days before consuming it, rather than just the one day. To me no cook only makes sense in TFB periods or for the first dinner on on the trip.
"Perfection is attained not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing more to remove".
Mark F
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Australian Capital Territory

Postby rebeccalk » Sat 19 Dec, 2015 9:17 am

Mark F wrote: Another argument in favour of this approach is that you will carry the extra water in the no cook meal for several days before consuming it, rather than just the one day. To me no cook only makes sense in TFB periods or for the first dinner on on the trip.

Good point, I hadn't thought about that!
rebeccalk
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Return to Bush Tucker