Jerky

Food topics, including recipes.

Jerky

Postby Son of a Beach » Sat 05 May, 2007 8:23 pm

I have two types of Jerky that I like to make. One is a south african 'biltong', and the other is based on my mother's steak marinade recipe. The one based on a steak marinade recipe is below, but to adapt it for jerky, use salt instead of brown sugar (and about half the amount). I also like to add some hot chilli sauce (Conimex Sambal Oelek). Of course game meat is best for any jerky. I usually use wallaby when I can, but lean beef will do (fatty meat should not be used for dehydrating).

Marinade for Steak

Ingredients:

⅓ cup soy sauce
¼ cup red wine
2 cloves garlic, crushed
2 teasp grated green ginger
2 tbsp brown sugar (use 2 tspn salt instead for drying as jerky)
1 tbsp BBQ sauce (use tomato sauce if you don't have BBQ)

Method:

Mix all together and soak steak of choice for several hours in the fridge or overnight.
Drain steaks, BBQ both sides until cooked to your satisfaction (do NOT cook if drying as jerky).

This also makes excellent jerky, using salt instead of brown sugar. Instead of cooking the steak cut into thin strips before marinading, dry in a food dehydrator, or in the oven on a very low temperature with the door slightly ajar. Do not cook.
Last edited by Son of a Beach on Mon 22 Oct, 2007 10:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
Son of a Beach
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Bit Map (NIXANZ)
Region: Tasmania

Return to Bush Tucker