Bags for Freezer Bag Cooking

Food topics, including recipes.

Bags for Freezer Bag Cooking

Postby Kristin » Wed 22 Jun, 2016 9:27 am

Sorry if this has been asked before, but I couldn't find anything recent on this topic.

Has anyone had any luck with any bags that are available in Coles, Woolworths, etc that doesn't melt when you put in hot water? If so, are you able to share brand/make?
I've tried zip lock freezer/oven bags, but not with a lot of success. Perhaps I should be putting in warm water rather than boiling?

Any thoughts/feedback appreciated. Picking up my first (second hand) dehydrator tonight ... I suspect I'll end up doing a combination of freezer bag cooking as well as keeping with "cooked" meals (just dehydrated for myself).
Kristin
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: Queensland

Re: Bags for Freezer Bag Cooking

Postby dunamis » Wed 22 Jun, 2016 10:50 pm

I vacuum pack my food and the bags used (bought in a roll) are fine for boiling food in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
dunamis
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Tasmania

Postby Kristin » Mon 27 Jun, 2016 6:22 pm

Thanks!
Kristin
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby CasualNerd » Wed 29 Jun, 2016 12:21 pm

What sort of temperatures ? Double seal freezer zip lock bags have worked very well for me, but under 70 celcius in a controlled temp bath. Most butchers will cryovac something for you if you ask nicely enough, or a local restaurant if you know someone. Most cryovac bags will happily withstand boiling water, even if they're not rated to do so.
CasualNerd
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Kristin » Wed 29 Jun, 2016 8:48 pm

Thanks CasualNerd.
I have only just started to play with freezer bag cooking. I had assumed boiling water to "cook" cous cous, dehydrated meals etc ...but perhaps i only need the water warm enough to ensure that my meal is still warm after rehydrating.....
Kristin
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby CasualNerd » Thu 30 Jun, 2016 12:54 am

I thought you were cooking from scratch, I only use a water bath at home / work obviously, for meats and a few select veg. I assumed too quickly, I don't think cryovac will work for you as you can't reseal the bag.

I had a look at freezer bag cooking, and I think the trick would definitely be to use less than boiling water. Even the strong freezer ziplocs get very soft the hotter you go.
CasualNerd
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby carryless » Tue 12 Jul, 2016 10:55 pm

Hey Kristin, Woolworth's have - and I expect Coles probably do too, have microwave clip lock bags. Only one variety, one size and only one brand. It's in the same section as the others but usually low down and slightly away from the main ones. I think the brand is Multix or something but will confirm tomorrow when I'm not in bed. They're basically heavy duty clip lock bags. I pour boiling water in them and never had an issue.
carryless
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby lawrence » Wed 14 Sep, 2016 5:14 pm

carryless wrote:Hey Kristin, Woolworth's have - and I expect Coles probably do too, have microwave clip lock bags. Only one variety, one size and only one brand. It's in the same section as the others but usually low down and slightly away from the main ones. I think the brand is Multix or something but will confirm tomorrow when I'm not in bed. They're basically heavy duty clip lock bags. I pour boiling water in them and never had an issue.

Checked 2 woolies for these and couldn't find them. They show up on Google (https://www.woolworths.com.au/Shop/Brow ... -20cmx20cm) but it seems as though Woolies has taken them off their site.

Did they stop stocking these? Tried using GLAD Snap Lock's but they get real soft when I put boiling water in there and I'm kinda paranoid.
lawrence
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: New South Wales

Postby jensnell » Sun 25 Sep, 2016 11:56 am

I cook in Glad Snap Lock's all the time and, personally, haven't had an issue with them. Agree they do get soft, but I've never had one get a hole. When I first started cooking in them I was worried they wouldn't be study enough, so also tried the ziplock mircowavable steam bags, but in my view they're overkill (heavier, harder to eat from, don't pack down as small etc).

I'm not boiling the bag though for context - just adding boiling water and leaving it in there for 20 mins while food rehydrates.
jensnell
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby Stew63 » Thu 29 Sep, 2016 8:15 pm

jensnell wrote:I cook in Glad Snap Lock's all the time and, personally, haven't had an issue with them. Agree they do get soft, but I've never had one get a hole. When I first started cooking in them I was worried they wouldn't be study enough, so also tried the ziplock mircowavable steam bags, but in my view they're overkill (heavier, harder to eat from, don't pack down as small etc).

I'm not boiling the bag though for context - just adding boiling water and leaving it in there for 20 mins while food rehydrates.

Thanks Jen - I might give this a crack. Could save a few grams here by decanting the BackCountry meal into the plastic freezer bag and leaving the 'satchel' at home in the recycling bin.
Stew63
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Other Country

Postby tom_brennan » Thu 17 Nov, 2016 11:37 am

I've had Glad Bags start to disintegrate in water at 80 degrees, but over a longer period (10 hours - sous vide). YMMV

Vacuum seal bags are designed for those sorts of times/temps.
Bushwalking NSW - http://bushwalkingnsw.com
tom_brennan
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby WalkGirl84 » Sat 11 Feb, 2017 9:33 am

We've been using the regular bags from Aldi without issue. Still paranoid one will get a hole so I sit the bag inside my cup while it's rehydrating. Then when it's done I just roll the top of the bag over the rim of the cup and eat straight out of it. That way you don't need to handle the hot bag either which helps.
WalkGirl84
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Return to Bush Tucker