Food alternatives to red meat based products?

Food topics, including recipes.

Food alternatives to red meat based products?

Postby AWTtrekker » Sun 30 Oct, 2016 5:45 pm

I need some ideas. My go to lunch for hiking has always been a small salami and biscuits etc. However I have just been diagnosed with a meat allergy that limits me to chicken and fish after being bitten by ticks too many times :/ so I need to plan some other options for lunch and also for dinner as many of the prepacked rice meals etc have things like bacon or meat extract flavourings
AWTtrekker
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Region: New South Wales

Re: Food alternatives to red meat based products?

Postby Mark F » Sun 30 Oct, 2016 6:24 pm

For lunch try dehydrated hummus. There is a thread on here about a year ago. The recipe was also published in the Bushwalk Australia e magazine.

For evening meals I occasionally use various versions of tvp (textured vegetable protein) available from most indian food shops, mainly in currys, but tend to avoid the flavour sachets included with many of them. I suspect the flavour sachets are far more dangerous than real meat. :lol:
"Perfection is attained not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing more to remove".
Mark F
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Australian Capital Territory

Postby dunamis » Sun 30 Oct, 2016 8:49 pm

We dehydrate tinned fish mixed with mayo and mustard seed and also dehydrate hummus then rehydrate either in the morning or the night before for multi day hikes. These get gobbled down with vita wheat 7 seed crackers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
dunamis
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Tasmania

Postby walk2wineries » Mon 31 Oct, 2016 8:22 pm

I got some salmon jerky ages ago from the Tassal shop in Hobart but haven't seen any since. Wonder if its worth DIY? I very much liked it. On the Overland a number of people did use those small tins of tuna or I guess you could use the tinfoil sachets now available. Tins are always extra weight - in the car I keep the sardine-can-sized tins of smoked rainbow trout from Aldis
walk2wineries
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: South Australia

Postby kitty » Mon 07 Nov, 2016 9:38 am

Sirena have "Premium Tuna Fillet" in sachets which are nicer than the normal packet tuna.
For day one in colder areas - the smoked salmon in those vacuum sealed packs lasts ok.
Wraps/Crackers with tuna/smoked salmon, mayo and dedydrated cucumber/zucchini.
Deb with packet salmon and mayo is a strangely yummy combo :)
Dinners - you might want to get a dehydrator and make your own to give yourself more options than what is commercially available, eg vegetable curries and chicken mince dishes.
kitty
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Western Australia

Postby walk2wineries » Mon 07 Nov, 2016 7:35 pm

hot smoked salmon has a lot less salt than traditional cold smoked btw. DC
walk2wineries
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: South Australia

Postby Gadgetgeek » Mon 07 Nov, 2016 9:08 pm

I wonder if its a food safety thing here, shelf stable smoked salmon is very common in Canada, but not so much here. dehy tomatoes are great. It may just require a re-think of your food planning, its not always best to try a 1-1 swap, it may be better to re-format from scratch.
Gadgetgeek
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Queensland

Postby north-north-west » Wed 09 Nov, 2016 8:48 pm

I've carried packs of Tassal smoked salmon (the cheap 'pieces for cooking') for as much as five days before eating. Buried in the pack not that much heat reaches them.
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Social Misfits Anonymous

Postby Bushman_Craig » Sat 12 Nov, 2016 11:04 am

I find beans to be a great substitute for red meat.

Red kidney beans and Borlotti beans are a favourite. Unfortunately the only ready to eat beans I have found are packed in tins rather than retort pouches, but cooked beans can be mashed and home-dehydrated then ground. The resulting slop when rehydrated is very similar to store-bought refried beans.

Home made cooked chickpea patties when home-dehydrated and then broken up into pieces are a good meat substitute out bush too.
Bushman_Craig
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Region: New South Wales

Postby damoprz » Sat 12 Nov, 2016 2:40 pm

I've often eaten dried beans, if you put them in a ziplock to soak when you wake up and then cook + soak them in a pot with a cozy they will be reasonably soft. Add some cup of soup mix for some flavour.
damoprz
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Victoria

Postby benoloughlin » Sat 12 Nov, 2016 9:39 pm

Cheese, peanut butter, vacuum pack salmon and tuna pouches (with the canned fish in larger supermarkets) with tortillas for lunch. For dinner - red lentils are easy to cook and dont take long and are very versatile. In fact, if you can carry an insulated cannister (such as kleen kanteen), you can soak any dried beans in hot water throughout the day while you walk and cook them quickly at night.
benoloughlin
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Return to Bush Tucker