Growing sprouts

Food topics, including recipes.

Growing sprouts

Postby TerraMer » Wed 26 Apr, 2017 10:14 pm

Has anyone successfully used a sprout bag during end to end and long multi-day walks?

What is the most idiot proof sprout to grow?

Any tips for different climate zones like hot humid to cool dry?

How much water is needed each day to keep them alive?

Is there a tasty sprout seed blend available online?
thehappywalkblog.wordpress.com
Solo unaccompanied walk around Australia
Sponsored by The Australian Geographic Society
TerraMer
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: The Happy Walk
Region: Australia

Re: Growing sprouts

Postby AWTtrekker » Wed 26 Apr, 2017 10:25 pm

You can buy Sprout seed blends at Bunnings. They have a few different varieties so you could even have a few different choices along the way
AWTtrekker
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Region: New South Wales

Postby TerraMer » Thu 27 Apr, 2017 12:46 am

AWTtrekker wrote:You can buy Sprout seed blends at Bunnings. They have a few different varieties so you could even have a few different choices along the way

Thank you AWTrekker. The salad and sandwich blends look good. I just had a little squizz at Eden Seeds and found a good variety of organic sprouting seeds. I have 2 months until I return to Gladstone for my walk around Australia so I can try out different flavours and textures while hopefully making the usual beginners mistakes now and not later :)
TerraMer
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby AWTtrekker » Thu 27 Apr, 2017 8:10 pm

It sounds like a nice idea. I make kefir at home(kind of like runny greek yoghurt full of probiotics) and it can be maintained quite happily on powdered milk. I have considered a few times seeing if I can work out a way to carry it with me as I go.
AWTtrekker
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Region: New South Wales

Postby TerraMer » Thu 27 Apr, 2017 11:23 pm

AWTtrekker wrote:It sounds like a nice idea. I make kefir at home(kind of like runny greek yoghurt full of probiotics) and it can be maintained quite happily on powdered milk. I have considered a few times seeing if I can work out a way to carry it with me as I go.

Yes!!! I love coconut kefir but for simple convenience I buy it from the health food Store when I can afford it. Chockers full of probiotics! In more moderate climate kefir would be a real treat as a snack while walking.
I think when we're out multi-day walking we are effectively "rewilding" our gut flora and strengthening our body's natural immune response. The longer we are out in the "wild" away from showers, regular hand washing and laundry the better chance we give ourselves to rewild naturally.
My 4,000km section walks around Australia are usually 6-8 months long so I'm always interested in better ways to source vegan nutrition that doesn't require refrigeration while in temperatures ranging from -5 to 65°C (the alloy barrow I pushed for about 12,400kms would get hot while walking in the outback, anything in direct sunlight does out there). I've been finding great stuff over the last 3 years but prior to 2014 there was not much available on the Australian market. Sometimes good food and variety requires a bit of imagination and preparation but planning for being away without a support crew or anyone food prepping for at least half a year usually means falling back on whatever prepackaged non-perishables can be bought online and collected at the next town or roadhouse.
BUT! The next 2,900kms will be walking from dry season south through spring and into summer with a backpack instead of the barrow. Hopefully, sprouts will be a fun little project for a convenient sweet fresh greensnack. It might end up needing too much of my water rations but I'll find out next week during an UL walk trialing new kit and sprouts (:
TerraMer
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby walk2wineries » Fri 28 Apr, 2017 9:42 am

Fenugreek is fast and cheap. Mung cheap and work well, if its warm you really need to rinse a few times a day, but you can start eating them from about day 2 or less - really as soon as they open & you can see a shoot they'll have a soft crunch not a hard crunch. You don't need to wait until they look like those at the Greengrocers. You can - and indeed I do as I tend to do too many at once - also throw in a handful at that stage into vege soups because they need not cook. Are you just facebooking or what? The members of the forum seem to be fairly well scattered; you might find people travelling able to top you up. I use a jar at home (nb you might look for the plastic screwtop jars that fruit comes in) but really all you need is a square of net and a rubber band over your nalgene to do the rinsing and then either plastic bag OR one site I saw used a wet cloth (Asian) I wonder if that would be better in hot areas. Remember Mungs can get a bit bitter if exposed to light, you get more leafiness and less stalk. Happy walking.
walk2wineries
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: South Australia

Postby walk2wineries » Fri 28 Apr, 2017 9:46 am

PS I like fenugreek better than alfalfa - slight spiciness makes sangers/spud salad more interesting and I don't feel like I'm eating grass.
walk2wineries
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: South Australia

Postby TerraMer » Fri 28 Apr, 2017 10:47 am

walk2wineries wrote:PS I like fenugreek better than alfalfa - slight spiciness makes sangers/spud salad more interesting and I don't feel like I'm eating grass.

Thanks Walk2wineries!
I like the tenderness and variety of taste of mustard, radish, beetroot and snow pea sprouts. Never been a fan of mung beans though. I will try lentil sprouts, I imagine they have a very subtle taste.

I use collapsible water bottles so no sprouting in them but the light cloth sprouting bags look handy for hanging on the outside of the pack and will get light and shade all day walking under canopy, maybe too much light walking south down beaches but leafiness is good too. Bags will need dampening a few times a day. Each week I take a rest day in town I can wash the bags and start the next crop. Best laid plans and all that (:

(About Facebook and using support for supplies... I quit Facebook because of lack of support and high stress maintaining such a demanding social medium while walking. Only a handful of people from this forum have supported my Lifeline walk around Australia, probably because the distance, time, effort, logistics and money involved are too much for people to understand or perceive. It was easier to not bother asking for help than cope with the lack of interest across all social media. When i stopped participating here I thought I needed to minimise my data time on the rare days I had phone range to prioritise the fundraising and awareness campaigning above my personal needs. That worked but to the detriment of my wellbeing. Now I only use instagram and a blog, mostly stress free and not a numbers game anymore.
After walking 13,600kms I have needed to become self sufficient. If people want to help I will very gladly and gratefully accept with great relief. It happens so rarely I can be quite overwhelmed by emotion when people offer to help or donate food, water, shelter and kit. I am applying for an Australian Geographic adventure sponsorship, a woman walking alone around Australia is a big deal in some circles, so fingers crossed this will open up a new opportunity to ask for help during the final leg)
TerraMer
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Return to Bush Tucker