Pancake Recipe - gluten free optional

Food topics, including recipes.

Pancake Recipe - gluten free optional

Postby Clownfish » Wed 12 Aug, 2009 11:43 pm

"Dehy" pancakes

1/4 Cup Caster Sugar
3/4 Self-Raising Flour
3/4 Buckwheat Flour
(or just make it 1 1/2 Cups Self-Raising)
1/2 Cup Milk Powder
1 tsp or so of custard powder
1/2 tsp bicarb soda
(1/2 - 1 tsp xanthan or other vegetable gum recommended, as we're not using eggs)

Store the lot in a ziplock bag until needed. Add water to the consistency you want. I mixed mine in a bowl with a spork, but I've got a tiny little wire whisk that came with a hot chocolate kit, so I think I'll pack that next time.

Gluten-Free Option
Anybody who's used commercial gluten-free flour will know how horrible it is. This uses a good substitute, taken from Sue Shepherd's Gluten-Free Cooking book.

1/4 Cup Caster Sugar
1/2 Cup Rice Flour
1/4 Cup Soy Flour
1/4 Cup EITHER Potato Flour, Maize Cornflour or Tapioca Flour
1/4 Cup Buckwheat Flour
1 tsp xanthan gum, guar gum, etc.
1/2 Cup of Milk Powder
1 tsp or so of gluten-free Custard Powder
1/2 tsp gluten-free baking powder
1/2 tsp bicard soda

Directions as above, but warning: if you taste the batter before it's cooked, be prepared for it to taste horrible. This is because of the Soy flour, which is very bitter until it's cooked.

The flours in this recipe may seem a little exotic, but they're readily available from Wholesome House, Wholefoods, the Grain Grocer, etc. If you're eating gluten-free, chances are you've got them in the pantry already.
Clownfish
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Tasmania

Re: Pancake Recipe - gluten free optional

Postby Son of a Beach » Tue 01 Sep, 2009 2:35 pm

Note that the discussion of pancakes sticking to the pan, and the various remedies, has been split off to its own topic. I thought it deserved a life of its own. :-)
Son of a Beach
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Bit Map (NIXANZ)
Region: Tasmania

Re: Pancake Recipe - gluten free optional

Postby Area54 » Fri 06 Nov, 2009 7:59 pm

Just made up a dinner batch for me and the pet monkey, tried some Orgran No-Egg replacer instead of the xanthan gum as a thickener, good results. The egg replacer is gluten free so will integrate with either recipe.

TIP: You know those little plastic fishies you get with sushi? They are great to refill with maple syrup, honey, or -shock- more soy sauce for rice dishes :lol:

For this home test batch I mixed the whole lot up in a wide mouth nally, added about 350ml of water and shook.

Got about 9 pancakes left, approx 4", lost count of the amount we ate :oops: :oops:
Gold is just a windy Kansas wheatfield, blue is just a Kansas summer sky...
Area54
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Queensland

Return to Bush Tucker