Taking dehydrated/freeze dried food to Denmark & Greenland

Food topics, including recipes.

Taking dehydrated/freeze dried food to Denmark & Greenland

Postby beachcruiser » Tue 27 Jun, 2017 2:35 pm

Has anyone taken home dehydrated food from Australia to Denmark?

I'll be heading to Greenland via Copenhagen next month to walk the Arctic Trail and was hoping to take dehydrated food from here. I've done some research and you are not allowed to bring meat and dairy products into Denmark or any EU country. I've been to Europe a couple of times over the last couple of years, arriving from Australia in to Italy on one occasion and Finland the other time and I don't remember having to pass through a 'customs' inspection like we have for arriving in Australia or NZ. Anyone tried taking either home dehydrated food or commercial freeze dried meals (Aust or NZ origin) to Europe?

Link to the info about private food import to Denmark
https://www.foedevarestyrelsen.dk/english/ImportExport/Pages/Private_import_of_food.aspx

To be on the safe side I would pack my veges, museli etc separate from milk powder and meat (in case I have to give them up at customs) but it would be more convenient to be able to take everything from here rather than wasting time once I'm over there shopping for food as I only have one day to look around Copenhagen before flying to Greenland (and that day is a Sunday so looks like Outdoor shops for sourcing freeze dried meals will be closed)
beachcruiser
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: New South Wales

Re: Taking dehydrated/freeze dried food to Denmark & Greenla

Postby Mark F » Tue 27 Jun, 2017 4:30 pm

I think it very unwise to try to slip foods you know are prohibited through customs. Even if you haven't seen checks doesn't mean they do not take place and you risk potentially ruining your trip with a hefty fine or possible refusal of entry. Why not contact an Outdoor shop in Copenhagen or Greenland and see what you can organise. You may be able to have a package of food shipped to your accommodation from the UK or other EU country. I was in Denmark last summer for 10 weeks and most stores were open on Sundays. - most Danes speak excellent English if this is of concern.

Would you try to bring banned foods into Australia if you thought you could get away with it?
"Perfection is attained not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing more to remove".
Mark F
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Australian Capital Territory

Postby beachcruiser » Tue 27 Jun, 2017 5:58 pm

I always like to play by the rules Mark F so you are right I should just do the right thing (hard to imagine any Aussie meat or dairy could cause a problem but that's not the point I guess), thanks for taking the time to respond.

I know the supermarkets will be open on Sunday but the outdoor stores will be closed according to their websites and I noticed that there was less Sunday trading when I was in Scandinavia (Finland, Norway & Sweden) in Jan/Feb - which I think is a fantastic thing much better for retail employees work/life balance.

And I'm keen to try the Reindeer Stew on offer from Norwegian freeze dried food company Drytech
https://drytech.no/en/shop/real-turmat-en/reindeer-stew/
beachcruiser
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby beachcruiser » Wed 28 Jun, 2017 8:41 am

I probably didn't phrase it quite right in my original post I didn't want to slip the items through customs but declare that I had Australian meat and dairy products and ask if they could be brought in like you do here in Australia. If you look at the rules for Australia they say you cannot bring in any food but I have declared at Australia customs and been allowed to bring in various things like novelty lollies bought in Hong Kong, packaged sweets bought in Japan.

So the question I was really asking is when entering Denmark is there a customs counter or somewhere that you can go to check whether the food you are bringing in is allowed.
beachcruiser
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Mark F » Wed 28 Jun, 2017 9:24 am

There is the normal customs point in Copenhagen airport where you choose to go to either "Nothing to Declare" or "Items to Declare". Unlike Australia, in most of the world they don't have the public screening on entry but it is there.
"Perfection is attained not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing more to remove".
Mark F
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Australian Capital Territory

Postby Gadgetgeek » Wed 28 Jun, 2017 7:05 pm

I think your best bet is to set something up before you go. As for the rules, I'm sure there is a consulate you could get in touch with to confirm the rules. I've always found that when needed consular offices are much more helpful than even the same department in the home country. Might have to do with workload.
Gadgetgeek
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Queensland

Postby beachcruiser » Thu 29 Jun, 2017 5:03 pm

Thanks markf and Gadgetgeek I reckon I'll just bring vegetarian food from Aus, I've got zuchini, carrot and mushrooms in the dehydrator today.

Some from our group are in Copenhagen a few days earlier so they will have more time to get the grocery shopping sussed out, it's always fun to try different food when travelling (not so fun to buy a bunch of something you haven't tried before for an 8 day walk then discover you don't like it...)
beachcruiser
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby photohiker » Thu 29 Jun, 2017 5:18 pm

Having had a lot of dehydrated food in Australia and Europe and elsewhere, I have to say that the best dehy food I have ever tried is the Norwegian Real Turmat/Drytech.

Just pick up some Real Turmat when you arrive and you will be happy :)
Michael
photohiker
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby beachcruiser » Sat 01 Jul, 2017 5:50 pm

Thanks Photohiker, interested to hear that the the Norwegian dehy is superior to ours, I saw it whilst travelling in Scandinavia earlier this year but wasn't doing anything requiring dehy food, I've already emailed them to find out where it is available in Copenhagen (I saw it everywhere in northern Norway and Sweden).
beachcruiser
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Return to Bush Tucker