Pancake Cooking: Dealing with Sticking to Pan

Food topics, including recipes.

Pancake Cooking: Dealing with Sticking to Pan

Postby Humpo » Sun 30 Aug, 2009 10:02 pm

How do you cook pancakes in a non nonstick pan? I have a Snowpeak Ti pan and have tried to cook pancakes in there and can not do it. I have tried oil, butter and they still stick and burn. Can you cook them in the bush? Im using a gas bottle on low heat.
Humpo
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: New South Wales

Re: Pancake Recipe - gluten free optional

Postby Clownfish » Mon 31 Aug, 2009 12:21 am

Hmm, it's a bugger with those lightweight aluminium jobbies, I know. Been there, done that. It's kind of a waste of fuel, but if they're still on the lowest setting, try holding the pan above the flame a bit.

The best results I've had, I must admit, have been on car-camping trips where I have the luxury of a small cast-iron frypan.

The other option I usually take is to just hang the presentation, and dish up a mangled mess that at least isn't burnt. :P
Clownfish
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Tasmania

Postby Son of a Beach » Mon 31 Aug, 2009 10:08 am

I often cook pancakes on the plain aluminium Trangia lid frypan. Works great. I just use a bit of butter. Butter does burn easier than most oils, but it doesn't stick as bad when it does burn, and it tastes much better too (burnt or otherwise ;-) ).

The lowest setting (Trangia metho) is not hot enough for pancakes, I reckon. I cook 'em with the damper ring on but fully open. This gets a little too hot sometimes, so I just have to hold the pan off the flame for a while in between pancakes (ie, when serving, adding more butter, adding the mixture, etc).

The pancakes cook beautifully, and I've never had sticking problems. But that's just with the shaker-bottle style ones. My main problem is that I usually forget to bring an implement for turning (the Trangy lid doesn't make a very good flipping pan). I usually have to resurrect an empty packet of something from my rubbish collection for this job.
Son of a Beach
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Bit Map (NIXANZ)

Postby Humpo » Mon 31 Aug, 2009 1:37 pm

Someone told me that you can use Teflon paper in your pan. You can get it from BBQ shops. So I will give that a try and get back to you.
Humpo
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby corvus » Mon 31 Aug, 2009 1:59 pm

You can also use Glad Bake & Cooking Paper which is available from you Supermarket.
c
collige virgo rosas
corvus
Vercundus gearus-freakius

Postby norts » Mon 31 Aug, 2009 7:15 pm

I cook my pancakes(shake style) on a small sheet of aluminum. Its flat so I just use my knife as a spatula. Have to be careful when I put oil on aluminum, run off really easily. I use my kovea stove on as lowest I can get it. Use my billy grips to hold sheet.

Roger
norts
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby kramster » Tue 01 Sep, 2009 10:40 am

Humpo wrote:Someone told me that you can use Teflon paper in your pan. You can get it from BBQ shops.

corvus wrote:You can also use Glad Bake & Cooking Paper which is available from you Supermarket.

Interesting ideas folks... I am inspired to have to try them :) (will start with the Glad-Bake option, and upgrade to Teflon paper if required)
I take it you just cut said lining paper to the size of your pan and insert prior to pouring mixture in.
kramster
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby kramster » Tue 01 Sep, 2009 12:52 pm

Just had a thought... what if you had 2 sheets of non-stick-stuff.
Immediately before attempting to flip, you could put sheet 2 on top of the "uncooked" side of your pancake, then flip the whole lot over in the fry-pan.
The first layer could then be easily pealed off the cooked side.
When 2nd side is done, just flip it out onto your plate (and you still hopefully have a clean frying pan).

Would save fiddling round with trying to peal off a half cooked pancake from a bit of baking paper (which I'm sure would curl up and try to annoy you).
kramster
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby corvus » Tue 01 Sep, 2009 2:01 pm

kramster wrote:
Humpo wrote:Someone told me that you can use Teflon paper in your pan. You can get it from BBQ shops.

corvus wrote:You can also use Glad Bake & Cooking Paper which is available from you Supermarket.

Interesting ideas folks... I am inspired to have to try them :) (will start with the Glad-Bake option, and upgrade to Teflon paper if required)
I take it you just cut said lining paper to the size of your pan and insert prior to pouring mixture in.

Thats the method I use.
Never thought of using two sheets ,must try it.
c
collige virgo rosas
corvus

Re: Pancake Cooking: Dealing with Sticking to Pan

Postby woka » Tue 01 Sep, 2009 2:49 pm

I've never had any luck getting around the sticking problem with plain aluminium (kudos to those that have!), so I have a non-stick trangia fry pan specifically to avoid the problem. Works really well and the non-stick surface is (so far) much more robust than I thought it would be. I use "Olive Gove light" as a butter substitute and have a gas burner.
woka
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Area54 » Mon 14 Sep, 2009 8:50 am

I've used a mesh toaster unit under my super thin stainless pan to spread the heat, used salted butter as the cooking lube with great success, but prefer peanut oil due to the higher scorch temp resistance.

I ended up making a diffuser out of 16g alloy treadplate to isolate the hotspots for the Kovea.
Gold is just a windy Kansas wheatfield, blue is just a Kansas summer sky...
Area54
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Queensland

Postby corvus » Mon 14 Sep, 2009 8:20 pm

Good comment Area 54 however we unlike you are looking for the lightest cooking methods and not adding hardware to our load :)
C
collige virgo rosas
corvus

Postby Area54 » Thu 17 Sep, 2009 6:26 pm

The diffuser weighs 14grams. :roll: Bike riders have a penchant for uber lightweight kit too you know.

I offset it by not taking bottles of wine :P
Gold is just a windy Kansas wheatfield, blue is just a Kansas summer sky...
Area54
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Queensland

Postby Humpo » Thu 17 Sep, 2009 9:12 pm

I have tried getting a non stick bbq liner ($19 from Bunnings) and cutting it out to the size of the pan. On low heat cook the pancake as normal and when you go to flip it use a second sheet to flip it. It works quite well.
Attachments
P9160070.JPG
P9160070.JPG (30.64 KiB) Viewed 12849 times
P9160072.JPG
P9160072.JPG (30.39 KiB) Viewed 12849 times
Humpo
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby corvus » Thu 17 Sep, 2009 10:05 pm

Area54 wrote:The diffuser weighs 14grams. :roll: Bike riders have a penchant for uber lightweight kit too you know.

I offset it by not taking bottles of wine :P

Don't take the bottle use a dedicated platy for this which only weighs 25 grams so having a choice I will take the wine over pancakes any day :lol:
c
collige virgo rosas
corvus

Return to Bush Tucker