Tofu

Food topics, including recipes.

Tofu

Postby jfullertonharvey » Sun 22 Apr, 2018 8:54 pm

Hi. New to tofu. What's the go for hiking with it? Doing a three day hike in wild dog mountains, blue mountains, and using it for second night. How should I store it in my pack?
jfullertonharvey
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: New South Wales

Re: Tofu

Postby Eremophila » Sun 22 Apr, 2018 10:10 pm

Assuming you mean fresh tofu?? Some brands have a better shelf life than others, I have purchased some that go off in their original packaging well before their expiry date.
I'd leave it in its packaging - assuming the quantity is what you need - and "double-bag" in a strong ziplock. Store in the middle of your pack if it's warm weather. Should be fine for your suggested 2-day period.
I'd suggest there may be better vego/vegan products for a short hike.....
Eremophila
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Region: Victoria

Postby jfullertonharvey » Mon 23 Apr, 2018 7:00 am

Eremophila wrote:Assuming you mean fresh tofu?? Some brands have a better shelf life than others, I have purchased some that go off in their original packaging well before their expiry date.
I'd leave it in its packaging - assuming the quantity is what you need - and "double-bag" in a strong ziplock. Store in the middle of your pack if it's warm weather. Should be fine for your suggested 2-day period.
I'd suggest there may be better vego/vegan products for a short hike.....

Any suggestions for other products?
jfullertonharvey
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby ofuros » Mon 23 Apr, 2018 8:01 am

Dried tofu comes in all shapes & sizes, thin sheets, small square tiles, long twisted cigar shapes etc etc....your going to have to play around with soak times at home before heading for the bush.

Pack storage with dry tofu won't be an issue, just know your soak times. :wink:
Mountain views are good for my soul...& getting to them is good for my waistline !
https://ofuros.exposure.co/
ofuros
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Queensland

Postby GPSGuided » Mon 23 Apr, 2018 8:47 am

Ofuros is correct, various tofu and tofu related bean based food in Chinese supermarkets to choose from. I would not take fresh tofu as they are too heavy (full of water). Dried or 'half dried' options are plenty on the shelves. Ask a Chinese friend to go with you and advise. Good healthy source of protein.
Just move it!
GPSGuided
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Mark F » Mon 23 Apr, 2018 10:33 am

If you are looking for non-meat based meals, also consider textured vegetable protein (tvp) which you can buy from indian grocery shops. I use it for simple curries. It holds together much better than tofu after cooking and is already dry. It comes in bite size chunks rather than a mince and is quite cheap. One packet is about 2-3 serves. I will add brand details once I find a packet.
"Perfection is attained not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing more to remove".
Mark F
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Australian Capital Territory

Postby Orion » Mon 23 Apr, 2018 10:54 am

I often buy miso soup that has freeze-dried tofu in it. In that form it's okay, texture is decent, and it rehydrates very quickly. But I've never seen freeze-dried tofu for sale by itself in Asian food stores.

Apparently you can buy it online: https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Tsuruhabuta ... 2436497194

Depending on what you plan to do with the tofu it might be worth a try.
Orion
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Other Country

Postby jfullertonharvey » Mon 23 Apr, 2018 10:55 am

Mark F wrote:If you are looking for non-meat based meals, also consider textured vegetable protein (tvp) which you can buy from indian grocery shops. I use it for simple curries. It holds together much better than tofu after cooking and is already dry. It comes in bite size chunks rather than a mince and is quite cheap. One packet is about 2-3 serves. I will add brand details once I find a packet.

So do you still need to soak it in water before use?
jfullertonharvey
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby blakey_ » Mon 23 Apr, 2018 11:51 am

TVP does require rehydration. Relatively easy to find if you're in a major metro area, or order online.
https://www.affordablewholefoods.com.au/shop/tvp-mince/

You can also get shelf stable tofu in most supermarkets, including coles/woolies. It'll be in the 'international' aisle. It doesn't need rehydration like the bits in instant miso packets.
https://www.woolworths.com.au/shop/prod ... -curd-firm
https://shop.coles.com.au/a/a-national/ ... -curd-firm
blakey_
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: Tasmania

Postby ribuck » Tue 24 Apr, 2018 8:32 am

Orion wrote:I often buy miso soup that has freeze-dried tofu in it. In that form it's okay, texture is decent, and it rehydrates very quickly.

It's amazing stuff. Rehydrates in 30 seconds with hot or cold water. From the Japanese Foods shelf in Woollies or Coles. Make sure you get the one that says Freeze Dried on the box.
ribuck
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Eremophila » Tue 24 Apr, 2018 8:23 pm

jfullertonharvey wrote:Any suggestions for other products?

TVP, as suggested above. I'm pretty sure Sanitarium used to make this, it used to be readily available in the "health foods" section of the supermarket or a deli / health foods store.

Lentils, beans, falafel....
Eremophila

Region: Victoria

Postby Orion » Wed 25 Apr, 2018 1:02 am

ribuck wrote:From the Japanese Foods shelf in Woollies or Coles. Make sure you get the one that says Freeze Dried on the box.

Really? Thanks for that. I'll look for it next time I'm in Australia.

And maybe I need to look more closely at some of my local shops as well. From what I've read recently it's a staple in Japan. So it could be that it's sold in Japanese grocery stores and I overlooked it.
Orion
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Huntsman247 » Mon 30 Apr, 2018 8:15 pm

First of all, I have to say I do like tofu in general. But...
A friend of mine who is vegan decided he would not go with my suggestion to make beef jerky as a snack idea and ended up making tofu jerky.
I had my reservations and didn't want to try it at first but gave in... after the 30th offer...
Well, I can say that it tastes crap. Do not even try. lol.
Eventually... my friend admitted he didn't like it either. haha

Personally, I'm not sure if I'd bring tofu as food on a hike. I just don't think I could use the idea of tofu to push myself up that last steep km long bushbash to get to the campsite or destination. lol.
Anyways I can't help you on how to store it but maybe how not to store it. :D
Huntsman247

Postby GPSGuided » Mon 30 Apr, 2018 8:43 pm

Huntsman247 wrote:A friend of mine who is vegan decided he would not go with my suggestion to make beef jerky as a snack idea and ended up making tofu jerky.

What is a 'tofu jerky'? There's a variety of dried/semi-dried tofu-beancurd products in Asian snacks, but I would consider none of them to be in the 'jerky' category. This is an area that I would leave to the well tried and tested than coming up with one's own. Wrong spice and treatment and it's all wrong. :mrgreen:
Just move it!
GPSGuided
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Return to Bush Tucker