What's the Best Dehydrated Foods?

Food topics, including recipes.

What's the Best Dehydrated Foods?

Postby Roger » Fri 30 Oct, 2009 12:48 pm

Over the years I have experimented with a number of brand name dehydrated foods (I can't be bothered dehydrating my own). Back Country are quite good and Chefsways are generally O.K. but can sometimes be a little bland or salty. I am going to try Strive Foods on a walk soon but have seen their portions and they appear a bit small. Also some rices and noodles haven't been pre cooked and will need to cook for a bit longer.

Best meals I ahave tried to date (althought they are not commercially available) are the Defence Force rations that come out of Smithton in Tasmania .... they do a mean tina mornay. I am also going to try and get hold of some of those US Army meals that are self heating. I hope they are an improvement on their old MRE's that tasted like cardboard.

Anyone got any opinions or tried other brands?
Roger
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: Tasmania

Re: What's the Best Dehydrated Foods?

Postby photohiker » Fri 30 Oct, 2009 1:54 pm

I haven't had Army food since Cadets. K Rations. Not that fussed at trying again.

I've found Chefsway to be about the best retail so far. They have salt, but not like the US brands which seem to add food to the salt rather than the other way around.

I've had Real Turmat recommended to me, but I don't think they are available here. I'll be trying them out next year.
Michael
photohiker
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby GraemeSpedding » Tue 03 Nov, 2009 11:17 am

Hi There
I have recently been experimenting with Strive Food's products in Tasmania. So far these have been very good and are cheaper than the foil packet products. If I have time i do dehyd my own stuff as it is cheaper and, usually, better quality. I agree on the portion sizes for Strive, but they are a very helpful company and I am sure they can extra or double portions if requested.
Cheers
Graeme
"Dare your genius to walk the Wild Uncharted Way" B. Courtney
GraemeSpedding
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Region: Western Australia

Postby Dave Bremers » Tue 03 Nov, 2009 2:04 pm

The best dehydrated food is the food you dehydrate yourself. Know exactly what's in it, and it tastes EXACTLY the way you like it. Though if slaving over a food-dehydrator at all hours of the day (and night) isn't your thing then I think the local dehydrated meals are the best (here in Canberra we have 'Tinderry Tucker' as an example). My experience with backpackers pantry etc. is that they are simply prohibitively expensive, especially for a uni student such as myself.

Dave
Knights of Columbus!
Dave Bremers
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby tasadam » Tue 03 Nov, 2009 8:32 pm

Roger wrote:Best meals I ahave tried to date (althought they are not commercially available) are the Defence Force rations that come out of Smithton in Tasmania .... they do a mean tina mornay.

Not sure, but I thought they were made in Scottsdale.
I really wish they were available because I would like a better option to Back Country and Chefsway as well.
tasadam
Magnus administratio
Magnus administratio

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: TasmaniART, Smitten Merino, Macpac
Region: Tasmania

Return to Bush Tucker