Thai Noodles for two

Food topics, including recipes.

Thai Noodles for two

Postby juju » Mon 23 Nov, 2009 3:28 pm

We enjoy this one regularly on overnights. I have bought some dried shrimp to try on the next trip.

Ingredients
50gm dried peas and corn)
2 x pkts Trident Hot and Spicy Thai 2 min noodles
1 x 50gm sachet Ayam coconut milk powder
tin of prawns (could use dried shrimp from Asian supermarkets)

Soak veg in 1 cup water (as long as you want) then bring to the boil, simmer 1 mins. Add crumbled noodles and flavour sachets. Cook 2 mins, remove from cooker. Stir in coconut powder. Yum.
We'll get fit on the way.
juju
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: New South Wales

Re: Thai Noodles for two

Postby jose » Thu 07 Jan, 2010 9:25 pm

Hi juju.
I'm still waiting to hear if you have tried those dried shrimp yet? I tried some about 25 years ago and I thought that batch tasted yuk. But tastes change over time and I'm curious if the dried shrimp you had were OK food.
jose
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Tasmania

Postby juju » Sat 09 Jan, 2010 12:22 pm

The pack I have is 80g and has hundreds in. But they look like just shells they are so see transparent. It says a serve for 2 on the pack but I'd want to share it round at least four and haven't had the opportunity in a larger than two group (I walk with my teen son) though it was only $1.60 the pack. I'm not expecting a lot of flavour. The nutrition info says 20g protein per 100g and 2270mg of sodium per 100g...I'll let you know...
We'll get fit on the way.
juju
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: New South Wales

Postby jose » Sun 10 Jan, 2010 10:58 pm

I searched for dried shrimp recipes on the internet and found that they are mostly used as a flavouring - ground up dry with other spices and added to recipes. There are some recipes that use them whole but they don't rehydrate into the succulent, tender fresh shrimp, they are quite chewy and stong flovoured. It may be worth trying a few of them at home to see what you think before taking them on a walk.
jose
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Tasmania

Return to Bush Tucker