Instant Oats

Food topics, including recipes.

Instant Oats

Postby corvus » Thu 17 Jan, 2008 3:26 pm

Just tried out a new product Made by Lowans called Cup of Oats it is good as you just add boiling water stir and let it sit for 3mins and its ready to eat with everything in it and the cup cleans up by soaking it in cold water.
"Aye its no how ye make porridge" but good enough for this fussy old Scot :)
collige virgo rosas
corvus
Vercundus gearus-freakius

Region: Tasmania

Re: Instant Oats

Postby Son of a Beach » Thu 17 Jan, 2008 7:47 pm

I used to take instant porridge walking (I think it was Uncle Toby's but they don't seem to make an instant one any more). I thought it was pretty good for a few years.

Then, after I'd been used to it for a while, I had real porridge again, and realised how much better it is made up from normal rolled oats. Still, when you're walking, the instant version can save some weight in fuel.
Son of a Beach
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Bit Map (NIXANZ)

Postby corvus » Thu 17 Jan, 2008 8:14 pm

As I said "its no how ye make porridge "and if it was served at home it would be rejected but cup of oats is as convenient as cup of soup you just add water no need for extra milk etc (with about the same cost of $1.00 per serve)which I would not expect to be presented with at a formal dinner :)
collige virgo rosas
corvus

Postby Lynda Moir » Thu 06 Mar, 2008 10:47 am

We tried the Lowans cup of oats and preferred them to the another variety. They are a more generous serve, easy to prepare and taste OK.

Three weeks ago they were available through Coles in Kingsmeadows.

A visit yesterday revealed they no longer stock them. I have emailed the manufacturer in New Zealand - Real Food Limited for a Tasmanian supplier but thought that maybe someone on the forum may have a supplier in either Launceston or Hobart.

We start our walk on Tuesday so the timeline is a little short, considering the long weekend looms.

Lynda
Lynda
Lynda Moir
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby Son of a Beach » Thu 06 Mar, 2008 10:59 am

An alternative that I often use is to use normal rolled oats, and just put them in water to soak before going to bed. Then in the morning, they take very little time to cook (preferably cook with a pinch of salt and a small knob of butter), and you get actual real porridge, using only a little more fuel than instant porridge.

(Make sure that you keep the pot of soaking oats out of reach of possums, etc. This is easy with a Trangia, where you can pack the pot into the Trangia base and lid with the strap buckled up around it.)

For an extra tasty fruity porridge, put some diced dried fruit in to soak at the same time as the oats. I use apricot, apple, pinapple and/or raisins.

Sorry, Linda... this doesn't exactly address your immediate need.
Son of a Beach
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Bit Map (NIXANZ)

Postby corvus » Thu 06 Mar, 2008 5:47 pm

You can whiz your normal rolled oats in a blender and that will make preparation even quicker in a pot , you then need milk of some sort and need to wash the pot with hot water as porridge can be a beggar to clean as you will all be no doubt aware .
My point in this post is that all you need is boilng water and the cup of oats -I will say it again put oats in cup add boiling water stir and eat no more to add and cup cleans up in cold water :)
collige virgo rosas
corvus

Postby corvus » Thu 06 Mar, 2008 5:52 pm

Lynda,
Lowan Whole Foods are an Aussie company and this product according to the packaging is Australian made check out http://www.lowan.com.au :)
collige virgo rosas
corvus

Postby mag3000 » Sun 15 Jun, 2008 7:48 pm

For many years I have ben eating Uncle Tobys Oats Temptations for breakfast.

I generally dont take any food that requires cooking or washing dishes so I boil water and put it into the oats bags, which are waterproof.

Roll the top over with a spoon inside and leave them for a couple of minutes and eat from the bag.

I usually have two for breakfast. Very quick and convenient.
mag3000
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby flyfisher » Sun 15 Jun, 2008 8:04 pm

On a slightly different tack, the little packets of Kellogs varieties aren't too bad. You can also just add water to the food in it's greaseproof paper wrapper , and screw your washing up and pop it in your rubbish bag.

FF
If you don't know what I'm talking about, then you need to drink more.
flyfisher
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: landrover owners club of tasmania

Postby tasadam » Mon 16 Jun, 2008 10:01 am

mag3000 wrote:For many years I have ben eating Uncle Tobys Oats Temptations for breakfast.

I guess Ben must be sick of them by now? :lol:
tasadam
Magnus administratio
Magnus administratio

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: TasmaniART, Smitten Merino, Macpac

Postby Speculator » Thu 26 Jun, 2008 1:11 pm

Son of a Beach wrote:An alternative that I often use is to use normal rolled oats, and just put them in water to soak before going to bed. Then in the morning, they take very little time to cook

The same can be done with natural mueslis, like Bircher muesli (which is intended to be soaked overnight). Should be good soaked in water, or powdered milk and water too.

L8r.
---
Peak bagging points: 10. Peak bagging bagging points: 10000.
Speculator
Optimus Imago
Optimus Imago

Postby Penguin » Sat 28 Jun, 2008 2:13 pm

We use toasted muesli the same way. Just add boiling water, milk powder and sugar. Stir. Instant crunchy porridge!
Penguin
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Return to Bush Tucker