Meat Jerky Recipes

Food topics, including recipes.

Re: Meat Jerky Recipes

Postby DanShell » Tue 26 Jan, 2016 1:16 pm

Nice Keith, mine tunes out a lot darker as per my pics. In fact it is quite dark once it comes out of the marinade after 24hrs. I wonder why yours is so light?? Perhaps its the marinade used??
DanShell
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Tasmania

Postby keithy » Tue 26 Jan, 2016 8:49 pm

DanShell wrote:Nice Keith, mine tunes out a lot darker as per my pics. In fact it is quite dark once it comes out of the marinade after 24hrs. I wonder why yours is so light?? Perhaps its the marinade used??

Could be the teriyaki marinade Dan. But since it was a new machine, I started off quite a low temp (probably around 65C), lower than when I do it in the oven. It was tearing apart, but a still a bit chewy (cut with grain), and probably could have done with a few more hours drying. I'll try it when I get some more roast in a couple of weeks and try it out.

I've made it darker when it's come out of the oven in the past, but my recipe changes with the stocks I have in the pantry! I might have to get some roo and try that out as well.

Someone suggested vinegar in the mix as well, so I'll give that a go next time.
keithy
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Region: Other Country

Postby DanShell » Tue 26 Jan, 2016 8:53 pm

Im the same in regards to using whatever is handy in the pantry. I like mine to have a kick to it so i tend to over use the chilli and pepper.
I use a dash of vinegar in my marinade. Im up to my 4th batch now, it doesn't last long!
DanShell
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Violet_Femme » Tue 15 Mar, 2016 10:34 pm

Next time I go on an extended camping trip, this is what I'm planning to make. It is so delicious, sweet and salty together. It's probably a little more moist than your regular jerky. Recipe from http://www.citrusandcandy.com/2011/05/bak-kwa.html

AK KWA / LONG YOK (MALAYSIAN PORK JERKY)
Makes a motherload for large or greedy family
SAVE RECIPEPRINT
INGREDIENTS
2kg pork mince (not 100% lean. Fattier mince gives more tender, juicy bak kwa. You could use half lean, half normal if that’s an issue for you)
300-350g caster sugar (I like mine on the sweeter side but feel free to adjust)
4 tsps Chinese five spice powder
90ml fish sauce
60ml light soya sauce (feel free to adjust)
60ml Shaoxing wine (Shao Tsing / Chinese rice wine)
A few drops of sesame oil
Red food colouring (I used powder but liquid or paste is also fine)
1.5 Tbl kecap manis / dark soy sauce (optional if not using colouring)
INSTRUCTIONS
Combine all the ingredients in a large mixing bowl. With a wooden spoon, start mixing it vigorously until all ingredients are completely mixed and the mince is ‘gluey’.
Add your red food colouring, a little bit at a time and mix until the colour is uniform (and to your desired scarlet shade). Cover with clingwrap and marinate overnight in the fridge (longer marination = more intense flavour).

Preheat oven to 100°C. Wash and dry your baking or cookie sheets (anything flat and without an edge lip is fine). If you don’t have any, simply turn over your baking trays to use the flat bottom (after washing it of course!).

Add a mound of pork mince onto the tray then spread and press down to form a thin sheet over the surface of the tray to a thickness of 3-5mm. Try to keep the edges as straight as you can so you can cut into neat squares.

You can either use wet hands to manually press it or you could lay a sheet of clingwrap or baking paper over it and use a rolling pin to roll it out. I like to roll mine out to a thickness of around 2.5-3mm because I like a more meaty chewy texture. If you prefer more of a dryer jerky texture after it’s grilled, roll it out thinner.

Place one tray in the oven for about 20 minutes or until the pork has dried out (you might need up to 30 minutes if your pork sheet is thicker). The pork is ready when the entire top surface of the sheet is dry to the touch, most of the liquid has evaporated and is holding together without breaking (though it might be a little moist underneath the sheet from the oil or marinade but that’s fine). Continue pressing and drying out the remainder of pork with the rest of your trays.
Use kitchen scissors to cut the dried pork sheet out into squares (whatever size you prefer).

Heat up your charcoal bbq, grill or broiler and grill each square until darkened and caramelised. It’s totally ok to have the tiniest hint of charring but keep your eyes on them because they burn quickly and easily.
Store grilled bak kwa in an airtight container in the fridge with sheets of greaseproof baking paper between each slice of pork (bear in mind that the flavour will intensify the next day). Reheat pork in grill or microwave. Best eaten within a few days.
You can also store and freeze the bak kwa after you have dried it out in the oven. Once cooled, place sheets of greaseproof baking paper between each slice of pork. Wrap very well with clingwrap and place in a container to freeze. When ready to use, defrost in refrigerator and grill as normal. The pork can also be wrapped in foil and briefly stored in the fridge for a couple of days, until you’re ready to cook.
Violet_Femme
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Region: New South Wales

Postby CasualNerd » Tue 15 Mar, 2016 10:58 pm

Bak Kwa sounds really good - pork is a nice change, fat for flavour and texture, and much cheaper to buy mince than a decent beef cut.

Does anyone know the ideal conditions for fattier meats when stored outside refrigeration ? Like a base percentage of salt or or other conditions that would keep it safe ? I always take things like salami that have been cured at ambient temps, knowing they're safe. It's hard to find much of that stuff these days though.
CasualNerd
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby keithy » Fri 18 Mar, 2016 1:03 pm

DanShell wrote:Im the same in regards to using whatever is handy in the pantry. I like mine to have a kick to it so i tend to over use the chilli and pepper.

My latest batch I used way too much cayenne pepper and chilli. My gums were burning after eating a few slices.

Violet_Femme wrote:Next time I go on an extended camping trip, this is what I'm planning to make. It is so delicious, sweet and salty together. It's probably a little more moist than your regular jerky

I love bak kwa. It's a bit pricey locally, but I go nuts every trip to HK or Macau and buy up lots. I find Bak Kwa is quite a bit greasier/oilier than western jerky, though. And if not vacuum sealed, it needs to be eaten relatively quickly. It does not last as long unrefrigerated compared to western dried jerky.

But the last two uses of my dehydrator I've been playing with various type of fruit to find out a good mix to take on walks, so jerky has been put aside for a bit.
keithy

Postby DanShell » Fri 18 Mar, 2016 1:13 pm

Off topic in this thread but if you stumble upon some decent fruit drying ideas let me know please Keith :)
DanShell
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby keithy » Tue 22 Mar, 2016 1:46 pm

DanShell wrote:Off topic in this thread but if you stumble upon some decent fruit drying ideas let me know please Keith :)

We should have another thread on fruit drying if there's not already one!

So far I've tried PInk Lady and Red Delicious apples in varying slice thickness, pears, mangos, strawberries, bananas, grapes.

The mango took the longest to dryout, but was very nice. I used green not quite ripe yet mangoes, but tried ripe mangoes as well. The riper ones took longer to dehydrate. The strawberries were quick to dehydrate - Left too long, become a bit too hard. The bananas went down a treat with kids, as did the apple slices. I cut around 4mm thickness for the apples, and there weren't quite like apple chips, still a bit bendy. The grapes didn't work out so good. I used ripe Peckham pears cut around the same thickness as the apples, and they took longer to dryout, but were sweeter than the apples.

Tried some melon and they didn't work out so nice. I also whacked one sliced kiwi fruit in there and don't think it worked out well either.

Someone suggested dipping in lemon juice to stop the fruit oxidising but I didn't bother - just cut and put on the trays.

Anyway, getting back on topic, someone mentioned to me a recipe using lean mince meat to make jerky - season the mince, fridge, flatten on try with rolling pin, cut into strips, and dry. So I'll try that one out next time as well.

And I learnt there is something called a "jerky gun" which is effectively a caulking gun for mince meat!
http://www.google.com.au/search?&q=jerky+gun

I was wondering if I could jerry rig up my caulking gun into a jerky gun with an old tomato sauce squeezy bottle!
keithy

Fruit

Postby walk2wineries » Mon 28 Mar, 2016 8:45 pm

Someone suggested dried watermelon as an alternative to jellybeans for a quick energy burst. Takes a while to dry - slice it thinly - but yes its great, tastes like freezedried icecream. Rockmelon dries well too. Frankly unless you are sulphur intolerant easier and no more expensive to buy dried stone fruit. Dried mango is expensive to buy but easy to do.... and a great snack.
Back to jerky.... seriously, checkout Costco, they had large bags at reasonable prices.
walk2wineries
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: South Australia

Postby keithy » Wed 30 Mar, 2016 5:21 pm

Gave the mince jerky method a try out the other week with some spare mince we had.

Was definitely difficult to get nice squares/rectangles of mince without a jerky gun. It kept splitting with a knife and became blotches of flat mince. I rolled the marinated mince in between layers of cling wrap to get it flat, and in the end just put the whole flattened thing on the tray without bother to cut into smaller strips.

MinceJerkyTest.jpg

Not sure I used lean enough mince though.

And Dan - I worked out the colour is due to the crappy lighting in the room I had the dehydrator going in. The recessed lights there give the end product a lighter colour than it actually is.

Texture-wise I'm not sure about this yet - I probably didn't do it correctly but it was definitely not as good as the normal beef jerky I've done before.
keithy

Postby DanShell » Wed 30 Mar, 2016 5:57 pm

Thanks Keith mines definitely quite dark.
Just quickly on the fruit, I'm going to try a few things myself so I'll report back what I work out but I'll start or find a fruit thread.

I'm happy with my jerky or at least it's flavour. I make a lot of it as my sons enjoy it too.
I'm not always happy with the texture. At times it's quite tough but it doesn't bother me too much.
I've found that when I freeze it, the freezer tends to dry it a bit more so I'm now dropping my times back a bit.
DanShell
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Mark F » Thu 31 Mar, 2016 9:01 am

A bit off topic but I see that Aldi has real South African biltong on special next Wednesday.
"Perfection is attained not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing more to remove".
Mark F
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Australian Capital Territory

Postby Pongo » Thu 31 Mar, 2016 11:56 pm

Out of curiousity Keithy, what dehydrator are you using?
Pongo
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Melbourne Young Hikers
Region: Victoria

Postby keithy » Sat 02 Apr, 2016 9:14 pm

Mark F wrote:A bit off topic but I see that Aldi has real South African biltong on special next Wednesday.

Thanks for the heads up Mark. I got that the last time they had the Mr Biltong 100g bags and quite enjoyed both the Biltong and Drywors. They didn't last long at my closest Aldi though.

Pongo wrote:Out of curiousity Keithy, what dehydrator are you using?

Mine is a no-name brand dehydrator. It is like this one: http://www.mydeal.com.au/6-tray-open-do ... erky-maker - I didn't get mine from there though, but one of the groupon deal type sites.

I noticed that there are versions like it with a digital thermometer and timer http://www.gtmall.com.au/6-tray-food-de ... dryer.html

I was looking at the Excalibur versions but boy they are exy. I couldn't justify that sort of outlay just for my homemade jerky!
keithy

Postby That_Asian_Bloke » Sun 08 May, 2016 10:06 pm

I love my Excalibur.

I use it to dehydrate soups (has to be thick), meals and most importantly...making jerky
That_Asian_Bloke
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: New South Wales

Previous

Return to Bush Tucker