Keeping Food Cold

Food topics, including recipes.

Keeping Food Cold

Postby slick41st » Sun 02 Mar, 2008 8:18 am

If you do wish to take any food which requires refrigeration, here is what I do - as I always have butter, semi-dried tom, salami, capsicum and cheese with me. This works particularly well if you are doing any walk-basecamp-walk-basecamp-walk style trips as I do with flyfishing trips.

1. The cloth 3-can (or for longer trips 6-can) silver lined coolers can be used - you simply need to keep the cloth wet, and the cooler in the shade.

2. At camp, if you are camped on wet ground, you place your food under the tent groundsheet. If camp is dry I lay about 2-3 litres of water under the groundsheet before placing the food under the tent & groudsheet. (food is normally at least in a silver bag, the cheap type you get from coles, etc.)

Both these methods work on the Coolgardie Cooler process - evaporation uses heat, and therefore sucks all heat from the surrounds.

I have used this method to keep grated pizza cheese cold & fluffy (so it never did get to melt) for up to 11 days in one of those oppressively hot type spells on the plateau. Often if I am staying at a hut for a few days - Nameless/Belcher, etc. I place the cooler in a shallow dish filled with water and hang it in the shade. Keeps it going well all day.

The wet cooler adds a little weight on the walk parts, but after a while you get to know just how little moisture is required on the cooler, in order to get you to your next camp, and still keep everything cool & fresh.

Works an absolute treat.
slick41st
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Re: Keeping Food Cold

Postby corvus » Sun 02 Mar, 2008 5:58 pm

G'day slik41st,
I always knew fly fishers were different but come on PIZZA on a bushwalk with fresh ingredients well I never !! that sure beats my fresh sirlion steak and real vegies that I used to take years ago :D
I am now down to (if you cant eat it after a 10 min soak) I dont take it, so I hope you can join us on our anniversary get together at Lees Paddocks over the March long weekend and we will line up for PIZZA (we can bring our own fillings) :)
Also with the brownies in the river you may be able to provide a nice breakfast :wink:
collige virgo rosas
corvus
Vercundus gearus-freakius
Vercundus gearus-freakius

Region: Tasmania

Postby slick41st » Sun 02 Mar, 2008 6:39 pm

Yep Corvs,

Goes unreal with a glass (plastic of course) of red. I have to work Sat, so unlikely of getting to Lees Paddocks.

Like I said in an earlier post, I really have to start eating fish! My knees will thank me for it.

Regards, Slick
slick41st
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby Joe » Sun 02 Mar, 2008 6:46 pm

im working saturday and walking up sat arvo...looking for someone to walk with....
Joe
in vino veritas
in vino veritas

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Stoney Creek Outdoor Equipment.
Region: Tasmania

Postby slick41st » Tue 04 Mar, 2008 6:07 pm

Sorry must decline this one, have been working the last three weekends, so will most likely chill out in the boat with my boy on Sunday. Pizza must wait for another day. Hope you guys have a good time.
Cheers, Slick
slick41st
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Return to Bush Tucker