Cheapest online Back Country dehy meals?

Food topics, including recipes.

Cheapest online Back Country dehy meals?

Postby SteveJ » Tue 19 Oct, 2010 7:03 pm

Hi folks

Who is the cheapest on-line store to buy the Back Country range of Dehydrated meals from? Where I live on the far south coast of NSW there is nothing available at all in the any of the 'camping' stores, so it has to be online. I need quite a few.

Thanks
Steve
SteveJ
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Re: Cheapest online Back Country dehy meals?

Postby corvus » Tue 19 Oct, 2010 8:37 pm

G'day Steve,
Don't know if they are the cheapest but their advertised prices are ok and they support our forum and they are in your State.
http://www.kellysbasecamp.com.au
c
collige virgo rosas
corvus
Vercundus gearus-freakius

Region: Tasmania

Postby HitchHiking » Tue 19 Oct, 2010 10:03 pm

Hi Steve,
Just a heads up that the Back country stuff is freeze dried and not dehydrated.

Still find some who will argue to the end of the earth which one is better and why. :lol:
Evan- Terra Rosa Gear, Handcrafted adventure equipment from Melbourne.
HitchHiking
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: www.TerraRosaGear.com
Region: Victoria

Postby SteveJ » Wed 20 Oct, 2010 1:37 pm

Thanks Corvus, they also... have a good price and free postage for orders over $80, just what I was after.

I don't care if they are freeze dried or dehy when I am in the middle of woop woop and I need food or ear muffs to silence my grumbling belly. :)

Steve
SteveJ
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby HitchHiking » Wed 20 Oct, 2010 7:07 pm

SteveJ wrote:I don't care if they are freeze dried or dehy when I am in the middle of woop woop and I need food or ear muffs to silence my grumbling belly. :)

Steve

HAHA :lol: well said
Evan- Terra Rosa Gear, Handcrafted adventure equipment from Melbourne.
HitchHiking
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: www.TerraRosaGear.com

Postby SteveJ » Sun 07 Nov, 2010 4:47 pm

Just as a follow up, I ordered 10 meals from Kellys online, they turned up a few days later, all the varieties as ordered, free postage, very good service.

Steve
SteveJ
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby corvus » Sun 07 Nov, 2010 8:01 pm

Glad they were as good as I thought with price and delivery :) as a previous big consumer of these meals I will be interested to hear your comments as to the eating quality of them .
c
collige virgo rosas
corvus

Postby SteveJ » Sun 07 Nov, 2010 11:15 pm

Corvus, they are what they are, affordable lightweight food designed to provide basic nutrition (and some comfort) in a very convienient format, my expectations of such products are not high and as such I am seldom disapointed. I get the 2 serve packages and find it enough and fair value.

Steve
SteveJ
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby sthughes » Mon 08 Nov, 2010 12:01 pm

At $15 a pop for a decent sized meal I guess that's "affordable" for most, but still *&%$#! expensive for a rubbish meal. I do like the Spag bol and the roast lamb ain't bad, but otherwise, yuk.

I have switched to Continental or Woolworth select pasta or rice packet meal thingos. They only cost a dollar or two, taste much better and are similar in weight. They do however require 5 to 10 minutes simmering and dirty a pot.
"Don't do today what you can put off 'till tomorrow." (Work that is!)
sthughes
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby SteveJ » Mon 15 Nov, 2010 6:38 pm

Well I guess affordable is a relative term, but I am a very very 'rich' man....opps I seemed to have used another relative term..... :wink:

I guess it just goes to show that we are all different; the most successful restaurant in the world is McDonalds so there is no accounting for peoples taste really.

Steve
SteveJ
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Kelly Jones » Wed 15 Dec, 2010 7:12 pm

TastyBite meals are tasty, cheap, widely available (Coles and Woolworths), and no cleaning up. Just put the sturdy cryovac bag in boiling water for a few minutes. They are Indian cuisine, including spinach and panir curry, potatoes and chickpea curry, dhal, and the like. Add noodles, rice, couscous, naan, potatoes, or whatever to bulk the meal up. I often find them for less than $3 on special. Usually about $3.80 in Tasmania.

It's pretty much like freezer bag cooking, but the bags are tougher. Also, panir is very easy to make at home.

KJ
Kelly Jones
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby Lizzy » Thu 16 Dec, 2010 12:36 pm

Kelly Jones wrote:TastyBite meals are tasty, cheap, widely available (Coles and Woolworths), and no cleaning up. Just put the sturdy cryovac bag in boiling water for a few minutes. They are Indian cuisine, including spinach and panir curry, potatoes and chickpea curry, dhal, and the like. Add noodles, rice, couscous, naan, potatoes, or whatever to bulk the meal up. I often find them for less than $3 on special. Usually about $3.80 in Tasmania.

It's pretty much like freezer bag cooking, but the bags are tougher. Also, panir is very easy to make at home.

KJ

Hey KJ,
Sounds good- except they are obviously already hydrated & thus weigh more. How much do they weigh & is it a single serve?
Cheers
Lizzy
Lizzy
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: New South Wales

Postby Funky_Bunch » Sat 15 Jan, 2011 10:21 pm

back country thai chicken curry (or pretend chicken like substance) is my standard.
The world is an amazing place
Funky_Bunch
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby flatfoot » Sat 15 Jan, 2011 10:55 pm

I sampled a wide variety of the Back Country meals on the Overland Track in December. I was satisfied with the taste and quality and thought it was acceptable given the convenience and light weight. Definitely liked the chicken curry, beef curry, roast lamb and spag Bol varieties. We did think one variety look like dog food :lol: ( the meaty chunks were the same size as meaty chunks in meat and vegetable dog food). It tasted okay though.

They are simple and no fuss. This year I'll probably manage to fit in 4 or 5 overnight walks. The cost isn't too bad if you aren't eating this type of meal regularly.
Flat-footed Mainlander
flatfoot
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Postby johnw » Sat 15 Jan, 2011 11:56 pm

Funky_Bunch wrote:(or pretend chicken like substance)

KFC? :wink:
John W

In Nature's keeping they are safe, but through the agency of man destruction is making rapid progress - John Muir c1912
johnw
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Kelly Jones » Wed 16 Feb, 2011 5:29 pm

Lizzy wrote:
Kelly Jones wrote:TastyBite meals are tasty, cheap, widely available (Coles and Woolworths), and no cleaning up. Just put the sturdy cryovac bag in boiling water for a few minutes. They are Indian cuisine, including spinach and panir curry, potatoes and chickpea curry, dhal, and the like. Add noodles, rice, couscous, naan, potatoes, or whatever to bulk the meal up. I often find them for less than $3 on special. Usually about $3.80 in Tasmania.

KJ

Hey KJ,
Sounds good- except they are obviously already hydrated & thus weigh more. How much do they weigh & is it a single serve?
Cheers
Lizzy

Information here: http://www.tastybite.com.au/
Kashmir spinach (285g) - side dish

There are also full meals with rice, but I've never seen those (TastyBite brand) in Coles or Woolworths.
Kelly Jones
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby anne3 » Thu 17 Feb, 2011 10:27 am

The best dehydrated meals I have found are from Strive foods in Tassie, great taste, meal size and price. They make Backcountry look and taste like dog food!!!
Walking the walk
anne3
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby rucksack » Sun 13 Mar, 2011 7:03 pm

anne3 ... thanks for the Strive link. I have had a look at their web site and their meals looks interesting (inviting?) I normally prepare all my own food and undertake something resembling cooking on my walks, but I will give them a try next time that I am down and pick up a couple of their meals to try out. Thanks.

rucksack
rucksack
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby John Sheridan » Sun 10 Jul, 2011 4:22 am

100g and 285 grams.

That's just 2kg for a main meal for 7 days for a 285g, or is that bad, I am a noob :)

Will get some and try them, want to try out this mountain bread I have been reading about, should be nice with these meals :)

Will let you know how they taste, will try them all :)

What I do for you guys :P

Cheers.
John Sheridan
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Return to Bush Tucker