Instant Potato Mash

Food topics, including recipes.

Instant Potato Mash

Postby corvus » Wed 02 Apr, 2008 6:12 pm

As some of you may be aware my rule for BW food is if you cannot just add boiling water I give it a miss now,so during my research I discovered "Fantastic Potatomash" the one I tried was beef gravy flavour and I did it in the cup it came in.
My conclusion is that the product is quite acceptable easy to prepare and one cup is enough for two with other food,the only downside is the cup is crushable and I dont think it suits bag cooking as it requires vigerous stirring so it will need to be done in a cup or billy but a good alternative to Deb etc.
collige virgo rosas
corvus
Vercundus gearus-freakius

Region: Tasmania

Re: Instant Potato Mash

Postby johnw » Wed 02 Apr, 2008 11:42 pm

corvus wrote:As some of you may be aware my rule for BW food is if you cannot just add boiling water I give it a miss now,so during my research I discovered "Fantastic Potatomash" the one I tried was beef gravy flavour and I did it in the cup it came in.
My conclusion is that the product is quite acceptable easy to prepare and one cup is enough for two with other food,the only downside is the cup is crushable and I dont think it suits bag cooking as it requires vigerous stirring so it will need to be done in a cup or billy but a good alternative to Deb etc.

I've seen those but not tried them, so will now. If you liked them also try "Fantastic Meal In a Cup" Pasta as discussed here http://bushwalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=292&p=1808&hilit=pasta#p1808. I think the packaging is basically the same. I carried one as far as Kia Ora hut before eating it. The container did get a bit bashed about but the outer plastic wrap seemed to help hold it together and give some protection. Anyway it was quite tasty (macaroni/cheese flavour I think, smelt good too). Only need to add boiling water and stir as per your requirements. Have tried ham and cheese and another flavour at home. All have been quite acceptable to me, and I think OK for quick and easy BW food.

Kind regards,
John W
John W

In Nature's keeping they are safe, but through the agency of man destruction is making rapid progress - John Muir c1912
johnw
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: New South Wales

Postby johnw » Mon 07 Apr, 2008 1:49 pm

Corvus,
I tried Fantastic Potatomash Onion and Crouton flavour for dinner at home last night, and was pleased with the result. The stuff actually tasted like real mashed potato. The onion flavour and crunchy bits made it even more palateable. It was quite amazing how quickly it thickened up after adding boiling water and a brisk stir. I'd probably rate it 8/10.

Kind regards,
John W
John W

In Nature's keeping they are safe, but through the agency of man destruction is making rapid progress - John Muir c1912
johnw
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: New South Wales

Postby tasadam » Mon 07 Apr, 2008 6:50 pm

You have probably seen the TV show Ramsays Kitchen... I saw an episode not long ago, there was this restaurant in USA somewhere (don't worry, they folded...) that served what they called a fine dining experience, and the chef was using instant powdered potato for his mashed potato...
tasadam
Magnus administratio
Magnus administratio

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: TasmaniART, Smitten Merino, Macpac

Postby corvus » Mon 07 Apr, 2008 7:59 pm

That Chef was really good and was trained at KFC who use Ulverstone Tas made instant Mash , on the other hand I am glad he did not learn his mash skills at boarding school or the Military school of fine cuisine or the DEB factory :lol:
collige virgo rosas
corvus

Postby scubabob » Thu 10 Jul, 2008 9:02 pm

i have started researching "cooking in the bush" trying to utilise versions of home cooked stuff. One of my favourite meals at home is pie/steak/sausages (any meaty stuff) with mashed potatoes, peas and gravy. YUMMO. Did this the other day, got my dixie on the stove with dried peas and heaps of water, when they were ready, dumped in enough DEB to thicken it up and a little Gravox. On a cold day, was just the thing
scubabob
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby corvus » Thu 10 Jul, 2008 9:25 pm

:lol: surprise peas n deb with gravox and it was mmm,but been known to sustain on the Overland track for more than just a few however believe me the commercial Freeze Dried meals if you can afford them are so much better :)
collige virgo rosas
corvus

Postby flyfisher » Sat 12 Jul, 2008 8:46 pm

I'm on your side regarding the "add boiling water and stir" food Corvus. :wink:

There are so many tasty meals out there at about $12 or so to suit almost anybodies palate. :D

The biggest advantages are compact light weight easy to prepare easy to clean up after. 8)

Another bonus is the lack of cooking gear required ,also the minimum amount of fuel needed.

Quick too. :D :D

Fly Fisher
If you don't know what I'm talking about, then you need to drink more.
flyfisher
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: landrover owners club of tasmania

Postby bibtracker » Sun 20 Jul, 2008 11:22 pm

Greetings,

Have had a cup of this in the pantry for some time. Needed a quick extra base for a stew last night, so I whipped it up. Gravy flavour. Not bad at all. I'll certainly try other flavours. It seemed (I'd had a few reds by this time) to have a real texture and tasted good, too.
Instructions a bit confusing. They say put in water to the fill line, but there doesn't seem to be a fill line. (This could also be associated with the aforementioned reds). Worked out all right in the end. Much better than Deb.
For use in the bush, I imagine you could decant it into a freezer bag and leave the plastic cup at home.
Cheers, Tony
bibtracker
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby corvus » Mon 21 Jul, 2008 6:39 pm

Hic!! been there the fill line is on the outside :lol:
Last edited by corvus on Wed 23 Jul, 2008 7:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
collige virgo rosas
corvus

Postby bibtracker » Wed 23 Jul, 2008 4:58 pm

Duh! You're right, so it is (damn silly place for it, IMO). I now realise I put in about half the required amount of water. I thought it was a bit chewy.
The real scary thing is that I tend to go walking alone in the bush ...

Cheers, Tony
bibtracker
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby corvus » Wed 23 Jul, 2008 7:39 pm

I have edited my post to read Hic!! as it looked like I was calling you a country bumkin rather than a fellow Dypso :lol:
corvus
collige virgo rosas
corvus

Return to Bush Tucker