Dry pancake mix

Food topics, including recipes.

Dry pancake mix

Postby Ticklebelly » Tue 31 May, 2011 8:45 pm

Tried the powdered eggs (post by corvus) and came up with this dry mix.

Cup of Wollies home brand self-raising flour,
Pinch of salt,
good pinch of baking powder (bit more than 1/4 teaspoon),
2 generous tablespoons of sugar,
1 tablespoon powered egg,
1/4 cup of whole fat powdered milk powder,
two foil sealed butter packs ( the little ones you get at the buffet to go with the bread roll).
Also need
a good splash of vanilla essence,
210 mils of water.

Put all the dry ingredients in a bowl and add water a bit at a time while whisking at the centre of the dry ingredients. 210 mil of water is just right for me but adjust the water as you see fit. Melt the butter and add with the vanilla essence last.

Makes about 12, 75mm pancakes. Not too sure how practical it is, given that pancakes really need some butter and jam to complete the experience so the weight savings of having a dry mix are minimised. Anyway...............

Ticklebelly
Ticklebelly
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Region: Queensland

Re: Dry pancake mix

Postby gayet » Wed 01 Jun, 2011 9:28 am

Did you note the supplier of the dried egg also has dried french crepes? Might save carrying vanilla etc as it is already included....
gayet
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Region: Victoria

Postby Marwood » Wed 01 Jun, 2011 10:35 am

Ticklebelly wrote: ...given that pancakes really need some butter and jam to complete the experience...

Don't you mean bacon and maple syrup? :lol: :lol: :lol:
Come on lads, let's get home. The sky's beginning to bruise, night must fall, and we shall be forced to camp.
Marwood
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Queensland

Postby whiskeylover » Wed 01 Jun, 2011 3:53 pm

Macro Buttermilk pancake mix in a plastic bottle from Woolworths in the Naytura aisle, just add water and shake. Gluten free and yummy - we take butter and either jam or maple syrup to have with them - then you can use the bottle for mixing other dry ingredients for the rest of the trip. 300g - would easily feed three people for a meal. Butter, jam and maple syrup, maybe another 50-100g - still light for a yummy meal, good value for weight. 914kJ per 100g.
medicinal purposes only of course
whiskeylover
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Tasmania

Dry pancake mix

Postby Bluegum Mic » Wed 01 Jun, 2011 4:04 pm

whiskeylover wrote:Macro Buttermilk pancake mix in a plastic bottle from Woolworths in the Naytura aisle, just add water and shake. Gluten free and yummy - we take butter and either jam or maple syrup to have with them - then you can use the bottle for mixing other dry ingredients for the rest of the trip. 300g - would easily feed three people for a meal. Butter, jam and maple syrup, maybe another 50-100g - still light for a yummy meal, good value for weight. 914kJ per 100g.

I'll second this one. I'm gluten intolerant and couldn't get over how good these tasted. We often have them (and chuck some berries in the mix). Very tasty and in one of those light shake n bake style containers.
Bluegum Mic
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: New South Wales

Postby north-north-west » Wed 01 Jun, 2011 5:10 pm

whiskeylover wrote:Macro Buttermilk pancake mix in a plastic bottle from Woolworths in the Naytura aisle, just add water and shake. Gluten free and yummy - we take butter and either jam or maple syrup to have with them - then you can use the bottle for mixing other dry ingredients for the rest of the trip. 300g - would easily feed three people for a meal. Butter, jam and maple syrup, maybe another 50-100g - still light for a yummy meal, good value for weight. 914kJ per 100g.

I'm not usually fussy about bushwalking food - it's fuel, full stop, but this idea sounds wonderful. I'm going to give it a go next time I'm out. Thanks.
I LOVE pancakes . . .
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Social Misfits Anonymous

Postby Son of a Beach » Wed 01 Jun, 2011 6:21 pm

Pancakes are a great bushwalking breakfast. I often take the add-water-and-shake-in-a-bottle kind from a supermarket and a lemon to squeeze onto it afterwards (and sugar to sprinkle).

HOWEVER, it's worth noting that some cooking gear is very much NOT up to the task. Pancakes need a wide flat cooking surface with an even distribution of heat. The Trangia's work very well for this in my experience. BUT, using a small burner under a titanium frypan was a disaster - the pancake was burnt in the middle (near the burner) while the edges were still completely runny.
Son of a Beach
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Bit Map (NIXANZ)

Postby Wolfix » Sun 26 Jun, 2011 4:25 pm

I am basically everything-intolerant so when I get a dehydrator I will post some recipes of what works.

I eat buckwheat pancakes and would gladly carry lots of maple syrup as it's delicious and doesn't make me sick. The only things I'd need to powder would be eggs and rice milk. The buckwheat pancake recipe I like best uses fluffed egg whites so I would consider carrying fresh eggs and a whisk if I really wanted pancakes.
Wolfix
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: New South Wales

Return to Bush Tucker