Camping Cooking disasters

Food topics, including recipes.

Re: Camping Cooking disasters

Postby vanNek » Sun 14 May, 2017 2:18 pm

Had a metho bottle stored in our Trangia nest... it leaked. 2 nights of taste deterrent tasting fodd.....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
vanNek
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Region: Queensland

Postby Overlandman » Wed 02 Jan, 2019 5:45 pm

A great topic back on the front page.
It’s been a few months since the last post
Keep the stories coming :D
Whatever, Wherever, Whenever
Overlandman
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Tasmania

Postby flingebunt » Sat 12 Jan, 2019 10:31 am

The worst was one time I went camping with some friends, a few who considered themselves to be proper bushies. So often they would cook proper food when camping, which was great.

However, this time they decided to cook spit roast chicken and ham (for 3 of the nights). Do you know how long it takes to spit roast a chicken. It takes hours. First you need a big fire, then you wait until it turns to coals, then you have to put the chicken over these for 5 hours. After a long day, the last thing you want to do is wait up until 10 pm to eat dinner.

Oh, and yes it was really delicious. The combination smoke and the fact that we were basting them in pineapple juice from the canned fruit that we brought with us made them extra delicious.
flingebunt
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Huntsman247 » Sun 13 Jan, 2019 2:28 pm

Took a mix of friends on a difficult exploritory day trip. At lunch time we stopped by a river were one guy pulls out a Backcountry meal and since he doesn't normally come hiking i was surpassed that he brought a stove to boil some water. Upon expressing my surprise that he'd bought a stove he replied with a blank look asking 'Do you need hot water for these?' I thought I did well to keep it together.
However that didn't last as I lost it when he tried to 'heat' the cold river water in the food packet under his arm pits and then after 10mins proceed to eat sand sounding satay.... He gave up after a couple spoons. Lol.
All he had left was a tube of condensed milk... He was absolutely smashed at the end of the day.
Huntsman247
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Region: New South Wales

Postby Lophophaps » Sun 13 Jan, 2019 3:50 pm

Hunstman247, LOL! That will take some beating. I've been caught a few times and there was no way to heat dinner, so I soaked it for about 20 minutes. Freeze dry, dehydrated and even two minutes noodles were quite okay if a bit unappetising.
Lophophaps
Auctorita modica
Auctorita modica

Region: Victoria

Postby Warin » Sun 13 Jan, 2019 5:11 pm

flingebunt wrote:However, this time they decided to cook spit roast chicken and ham (for 3 of the nights). Do you know how long it takes to spit roast a chicken. It takes hours.

Some people I know do a roast lamb.
They buy a butchered lamb from the local farmer and have now worked out a spit roasting system for it. It does take some hours .. but it is now much better that their first attempts .. raw meat was the product earl on, usually burnt on the end of a fork to get some cooking into smaller bits before it was chewed down.
Warin
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Huntsman247 » Sun 13 Jan, 2019 6:29 pm

Lophophaps wrote:Hunstman247, LOL! That will take some beating. I've been caught a few times and there was no way to heat dinner, so I soaked it for about 20 minutes. Freeze dry, dehydrated and even two minutes noodles were quite okay if a bit unappetising.
Haha it was priceless. I'll let him know he should have 'warmed' it for a bit longer. Lol
Huntsman247

Postby Rexyviney36 » Thu 24 Jan, 2019 9:16 pm

Camping at Cosy Corner years ago: a fella we were with wanted to prove to us he could cook premium steak on the trangia but it was taking a LONG time.
About an hour into it we were mercilessly slating the poor bugger, but he was determined.
We had all eaten and were settling in nicely by the fire with a few drinks when he announced his steak was finally medium-rare and perfect. As he went to lift it into the al foil to rest, the tongs lost grip and his ‘slow cooked’ prime cut fell oh so slowly to The Gardens’ famous black sand.....
Ole mate was *&%$#! devastated.
Rexyviney36
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby flingebunt » Fri 25 Jan, 2019 8:09 am

Warin wrote:
flingebunt wrote:However, this time they decided to cook spit roast chicken and ham (for 3 of the nights). Do you know how long it takes to spit roast a chicken. It takes hours.

Some people I know do a roast lamb.

Nothing beats the taste of meat roasted over an open fire. Makes me want to try it again, as long as I don't have to wait for it.
flingebunt
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby bogholesbuckethats » Wed 31 Jul, 2019 7:37 pm

Some friends of ours had made us some delicious custard on a very cold night on the central plateau. We tried to emulate it a few months later at lake tahune but it wasn't cold enough to set and we also managed to burn some to the bottom of the pot.

Fast forward two weeks and we were passing through customs in Queenstown NZ when my partner started to get some very special attention from the sniffer dog. We had to pull everything out of our packs and eventually we opened the pot and found a microcosm of mould covering the entire pot and food bowls that had started from the burnt custard. We haven't tried cooking custard since.
That looks like a pad.
bogholesbuckethats

Postby ChrisJHC » Wed 31 Jul, 2019 8:43 pm

Was hiking the Great South West Walk a few years ago when a group staggered into the first campsite right on dark (probably 8pm or so).
They then proceeded to pull raw potatoes, carrots etc out of their packs and start to peel them before cooking them in a big pot.
I'm not sure what time they finally ate as I went to bed at 10 and they still hadn't finished cooking.

The next day they announced that they were pulling out of the walk as their packs were so heavy!
ChrisJHC

Postby Peterac » Fri 27 Dec, 2019 5:09 am

Im a teacher and I use to take particularly challenging (aggressive, angry, oppositional) teenagers out bush for the day. One day there were 3 students and I going for a camp cook. They were asked to bring along their own meat to cook. Two brought sausages the other brought the biggest lump of steak cut In two pieces Ok good so far they were invested as they brought along something of their own. I had a routine, one get kindling, one run the fire, the other organise the milo, tea, food plates etc. it kept everyone busy. Steak boy was on the kindling and collecting. These boys were prone to playing practical jokes on each other where the sense of humour was usually lost somewhere along the line. Anyway these three got along pretty well. At some point there was a commotion as steak boy started accusing the food and drink prepper of hiding one of his steaks as a joke. He was kind of proud of the side of cow he brought along and wasn’t happy. Matter of fact he was winding up as the other boy looked bewildered and innocent! Body language tells a lot, three of us were having a giggle expecting one of the gigglers to quickly pull the steak out of hiding and for everyone to settle, laugh and enjoy the joke. Steak boy was slowly stewing and his tension and body language was building. Me still waiting for the joker to own up whilst employing my best conflict resolution skills. No good, steak boy did see the funny side for a moment but he was getting serious now. Steak boy and food prepper were now looking at each other differently! One accusing (logically deducing the culprit) the other now defensive because he was not being believed. The remaining steak was on the plate on the table between the boys. I was on the other side of the table forming the triangle. Suddenly the tension was broken as both boys watched a magpie swoop down between them, lift the remaining steak off the plate and fly away. Never happened before hasn’t happened since but had 3 out of 4 of us in stitches to start then steakless boy as well.
Peterac
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: Australia

Postby andrewa » Fri 27 Dec, 2019 11:06 am

Many many years ago, as a year 11 kid, I was leading a group of year 9 and 10 kids on a week long hike. I had cooked my pasta, and was rummaging in my pack for the sauce for it. One of the group members asked whether he could use my billy to cook his dinner, and I said yes. I found the sauce, and went to get my billy of pasta to mix it in, and found a pile of pasta at the base of a nearby tree, and the younger kid cooking his dinner in my billy!
A
andrewa
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: None

Postby Peterac » Fri 27 Dec, 2019 8:36 pm

That’s funny Andrew as it sounds all too familiar! Hope you ate his meal.
Peterac
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: Australia

Previous

Return to Bush Tucker