Dehyd veges

Food topics, including recipes.

Dehyd veges

Postby davidmorr » Wed 19 Oct, 2011 12:23 pm

I used to buy dehyd veges from a fellow at Tinderry Mountain near Cooma. They were great for making my own backpacking meals.

However, he is no longer doing it. I was just wondering whether anyone knows of other sources?

(I suppose I could do it myself, but tbh I just don't have the space for a dehydrator. Hard enough finding somewhere to store my walking gear.)
This post is copyright by davidmorr. Permission to reproduce elsewhere may be granted on application. Please PM me for details.
davidmorr
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: New South Wales

Re: Dehyd veges

Postby Maelgwn » Wed 19 Oct, 2011 2:02 pm

Strive Foods in tasmania do it. Prices are ok, although not great.

Peas/corn/poo... mushrooms can be found at your local supermarket.
Maelgwn
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: South Australia

Postby davidmorr » Wed 19 Oct, 2011 5:28 pm

Thanks for the suggestion. I was really after individual vegetables rather than a mixture.
This post is copyright by davidmorr. Permission to reproduce elsewhere may be granted on application. Please PM me for details.
davidmorr
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Dehyd veges

Postby Maelgwn » Wed 19 Oct, 2011 5:35 pm

Just ask them. Chances are they would do them for you.
Maelgwn
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: South Australia

Postby peregrinator » Wed 19 Oct, 2011 8:50 pm

I've found that Strive and Tinderry produce(d) very similar food. (Subjective opinion of both: not bad, not great, quite acceptable for what it is. Always add a soupcon of something fresh, spicey, etc.) Strive is a little less expensive. The interesting suggestion from Maelgwn is worth following up.
peregrinator
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Victoria

Postby MartyGwynne » Sun 23 Oct, 2011 10:07 am

If you have an oven at home and a flat tray then you can dehydrate veggies yourself.
Slice veggies thinly (about 4-6 mm thick), blanch in boiling water for 2-3 minutes (hard veggies like carrots and pumpkin the 3 mins soft veggies less).
Pat the veggies dry with tea towel or kitchen paper, spread out evenly on baking paper (the non stick type) or on a non-stick tray and place in the oven on the lowest setting you can get. Check them often as the lowest may be too hot. If the oven is too hot then you could prop the door open a bit to keep it cooler.
Turn veggies over after the top is dryish and keep the veggies spread out so they don't touch. Keep turning them till crispy dry and then bang then in ziplock bags/airtight containers and leave them in the freezer till you need to use them.
Hope that helps.
Marty.
PS Oh and the ones you can get from supermarkets and asian grocers are good to use (easier).
MartyGwynne
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby juju » Sun 23 Oct, 2011 1:27 pm

MartyGwynne wrote:If you have an oven at home and a flat tray then you can dehydrate veggies yourself.
Slice veggies thinly (about 4-6 mm thick), blanch in boiling water for 2-3 minutes (hard veggies like carrots and pumpkin the 3 mins soft veggies less).
Pat the veggies dry with tea towel or kitchen paper, spread out evenly on baking paper (the non stick type) or on a non-stick tray and place in the oven on the lowest setting you can get. Check them often as the lowest may be too hot. If the oven is too hot then you could prop the door open a bit to keep it cooler.
Turn veggies over after the top is dryish and keep the veggies spread out so they don't touch. Keep turning them till crispy dry and then bang then in ziplock bags/airtight containers and leave them in the freezer till you need to use them.
Hope that helps.
Marty.
PS Oh and the ones you can get from supermarkets and asian grocers are good to use (easier).

About how long do you have them in the oven? A friend did some pumpkin beautifully and so nice you could just eat it as is, but I think she did it overnight.
We'll get fit on the way.
juju
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby MartyGwynne » Wed 26 Oct, 2011 12:11 am

I purposely did not put any times down as every oven is different.
So it is a bit of hit and miss, if they seem to be drying out fast and browning off around the edges then your oven is too hot.
If it can't be turned down any more then wedge the door open a bit and try shifting the tray from the top to the bottom or vice versa or from front to back.
You probably need to be attentive to the process for the first time to work out what works with your oven.
I do a lot of cooking so can work it out pretty easy and even sometimes have the dryer going and the oven going at the same time and will download from the oven to the dryer to finish off some veggies.
Cabbage does not take long and will brown off quickly if left to go to long or too hot (stinks the house out too when burnt).
MartyGwynne
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Return to Bush Tucker