best salami?

Food topics, including recipes.

best salami?

Postby medwyn » Tue 07 Feb, 2012 12:07 pm

Hi ALL,

May seem a silly question, however, i have read that a lot of members include salami in there food supplies.

Can i ask, how long does this last, and is there a particular kind i should buy?

Thanks
medwyn
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: Victoria

Re: best salami?

Postby stepbystep » Tue 07 Feb, 2012 12:11 pm

Try a search using the word 'salami' :P

viewtopic.php?f=16&t=7292&p=107522&hilit=salami#p93402
The idea of wilderness needs no defense, it only needs defenders ~ Edward Abbey
stepbystep
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Tasmania

Postby medwyn » Tue 07 Feb, 2012 12:21 pm

haha champion.

I think that search function will come in handy, thanks for pointing that out :)
medwyn
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby cdg » Thu 09 Feb, 2012 4:28 pm

I prefer salamis with white skins - mainly because they are easy to spot in low light, and i can also see the casing when i remove it (i never eat the casing). i always remove the plastic wrap which they are sold in, as this is a recent development and it doesn't really add to the salamis protection - that is what the sausage casing is for. I wrap a piece of glad wrap around the cut end of the salami and hold it in place with an elastic band when travelling. Go for the firmer salamis, not the soft kabana/cabanossi types. i like salami about the same size as ritz biscuits in diameter.

Remember these are preserved meats, and are historically meant for preserving meat out of season. Salamis hung will last for quite some time.

You really need to experiment to see what works for you.
cdg
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: Australian Capital Territory

Postby 0o_o0 » Thu 01 Mar, 2012 10:11 pm

Perhaps not technically Salami but my fav is most definitely Chorizo.
0o_o0
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby corvus » Thu 01 Mar, 2012 10:16 pm

0o_o0 wrote:Perhaps not technically Salami but my fav is most definitely Chorizo.

Hope you unlike a good mate of mine did not eat the Chorizo RAW :lol: :lol: :lol:
corvus
collige virgo rosas
corvus
Vercundus gearus-freakius

Postby Obelix » Fri 06 Jul, 2012 12:29 am

For those in WA i recommend the fermented salami on the counter deli at Charlies Corner of Beechboro and Walter Rd Morley!
Obelix
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: Western Australia

Postby bumper » Mon 11 Feb, 2013 7:50 pm

I'm heading down to do the SCtrack this week, and was wondering where is the best place to buy salami in Hobart.
thanks in advance Bumper.
bumper
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: Queensland

Postby rogo » Mon 25 Feb, 2013 11:49 am

I have been hunting down some salami for a few weeks in readiness for my bibb track walk. It is called the Hahndorf Gourmet, I think. The particular salami I bought was the the Original Handorf Mettwurst.

I bought this as it is air dried salami and doesn't need refrigerating at all. Most salamis in plastic wrap are not shelf stable and can cause big problems especially if it is pre sliced.

I had ring side seats on the OT a couple of years back, when some pre sliced salami was eaten on day 5. Didn't stay down for long.

I'm not sure how available shelf stable salamis are these days, but its worth looking out for them. I plan on using mine in lunch wraps and then cooking it for my dinner in pastas etc. Much better than twiggy stix.
rogo
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Mark F » Mon 25 Feb, 2013 5:00 pm

I have cached the small (200 gram) whole Don salamis in food drops for a few weeks and then eaten them over about 5 days when doing the AAWT. These are the uncut Don 200g salamis that have been pasturised and packed in sealed plastic. These are NOT the ones you see cut in half in the plastic. From memory the pasturised ones are mild and hot hungarian and the pepperoni. My preferred one was the Pepperoni. Similarly I have stashed hard cheeses like parmesan without any deleterious effect on the cheese. Vintage cheddar stashed at the same time was rather oily but quite edible.

I do try to make sure any food drops are not stashed in a sunny place.
"Perfection is attained not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing more to remove".
Mark F
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Australian Capital Territory

Postby matagi » Mon 25 Feb, 2013 8:12 pm

corvus wrote:
0o_o0 wrote:Perhaps not technically Salami but my fav is most definitely Chorizo.

Hope you unlike a good mate of mine did not eat the Chorizo RAW :lol: :lol: :lol:
corvus

Chorizo as it is commonly sold in delicatessens here, is a fermented, cured and smoked product, perfectly ok to eat it "raw". It can also refer to a fresh sausage, but I must confess I have never seen one.

Did your friend buy his from a Spanish butcher or something?
This makes me the first man to climb Mount Everest backwards, without oxygen...or even a jumper.
matagi
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Postby corvus » Mon 25 Feb, 2013 8:47 pm

matagi wrote:
corvus wrote:

corvus

Chorizo as it is commonly sold in delicatessens here, is a fermented, cured and smoked product, perfectly ok to eat it "raw". It can also refer to a fresh sausage, but I must confess I have never seen one.

Did your friend buy his from a Spanish butcher or something?

matagi,
There is a distinct note on the Primo and Hans Chorizo "fresh" versions sold from the Deli fridge in the Supermarkets that "this product must be cooked before being eaten" you can also purchase "Chorizo" aussie style snags and I do confess I have never encountered your salami version here.
corvus
collige virgo rosas
corvus

Postby matagi » Mon 25 Feb, 2013 9:29 pm

corvus wrote:matagi,
There is a distinct note on the Primo and Hans Chorizo "fresh" versions sold from the Deli fridge in the Supermarkets that "this product must be cooked before being eaten" you can also purchase "Chorizo" aussie style snags and I do confess I have never encountered your salami version here.
corvus

Ah, Primo and Hans - 'nuff said. :P

I buy mine at the Queen Victoria markets in Melbourne, no labels on it, no idea where it comes from. It hangs from hooks at the front of the deli, no refrigeration. I keep mine in the fridge because I have a feral ant problem, otherwise it would hang in my pantry. It will keep for many months in the fridge (just keeps getting harder and drier) and I just slice bits off and snack on it, the same way I would with salami.

It does fry up reasonably well and goes nicely with lentils. :)
This makes me the first man to climb Mount Everest backwards, without oxygen...or even a jumper.
matagi

Return to Bush Tucker