Magellan Topographic Summit Series Tasmania 1:25K

For all high tech electronic equipment including GPS, PLB, chargers, phones, computers, software. Discussion of simple electrical devices such as torches, belongs in the main 'Equipment' forum.

Postby Taz73 » Thu 14 Jun, 2012 5:33 pm

Can anybody here please provide me feedback on this map set.
Down to what size trail do they show on the maps?
Is it worth the $50 and the purchase of a GPS unit to use it?

Thanks in advance.
I have followed a lot of internet leads but this information is not out there any where!!!
If only all the people who helped us get to where we are, were here to save us from where we are.
Me
Taz73
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: Tasmania

Re: Magellan Topographic Summit Series Tasmania 1:25K

Postby tastrax » Thu 14 Jun, 2012 7:53 pm

I have no knowledge of the mapping. I would ask for a few screen shots (at various zoom levels) of an area that you know so you can see what it looks like. This might also give you an indication of the level of support at the same time.
Cheers - Phil

OSM Mapper
tastrax
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: RETIRED! - Parks and Wildlife Service

Postby Taz73 » Thu 14 Jun, 2012 9:19 pm

I shot off a question at the start of the week asking how large the Tas Topo file was and am yet to receive an answer.
Even the retail outlets I have been to do not know anything about the product they sell.
The community provides better support than the companies themselves, hence my post.
If only all the people who helped us get to where we are, were here to save us from where we are.
Me
Taz73
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby Taz73 » Wed 20 Jun, 2012 10:09 pm

For those who care, I went ahead and bought a Magellan 510 with the additional Tas Topo map.

The track detail is better than I expected.

It will get the job done nicely.
Me
Taz73
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby sthughes » Thu 21 Jun, 2012 9:05 am

Great new Taz! Any chance of a screen shot or two?
"Don't do today what you can put off 'till tomorrow." (Work that is!)
sthughes
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Taz73 » Thu 21 Jun, 2012 7:06 pm

Any area in particular that you would like a screenie of?

Me
Taz73
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby Ent » Thu 21 Jun, 2012 10:48 pm

Hi

Curious if it shows the track to Mount Victoria up near Scottsdale off Mount Albert Road.

Cheers
"lt only took six years. From now on, l´ll write two letters a week instead of one."
(Shawshank Redemption)
Ent
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Taz73 » Fri 22 Jun, 2012 6:38 am

It's there alright.

Me
Taz73
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby Ent » Fri 22 Jun, 2012 8:42 am

Hi

Looks like it has well and truly thumped Garmin's maps for walking usefulness.

Does it have any stupid copyright protection schemes?

Cheers
"lt only took six years. From now on, l´ll write two letters a week instead of one."
(Shawshank Redemption)
Ent
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby sthughes » Fri 22 Jun, 2012 9:07 am

Cool, I'm a little astounded it has the Mt. Victoria Track shown! This could be a real goer. $50 is a great price - I'm sure it would be copyrighted or at least proprietary Ent.

How about the shot of the Reynolds Falls/Pencil Pine area, or perhaps Junction Lake area in the walls?

Hmm - about $400 for a 510 with maps, or $500 for a 610 (inbuilt compass & altimeter). Might have to find room in next years budget at this rate...

What are your thoughts on the unit itself Taz? How's the touch screen go with thick gloves?
"Don't do today what you can put off 'till tomorrow." (Work that is!)
sthughes
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby RSD » Wed 27 Jun, 2012 6:33 pm

I've been struggling to find useful information about walking GPS's in the shops in Perth today, but from the looks of this thread the Magellan range may be more useful than the Garmin range - and far more useful than the paper map of Walls of Jerusalem that I purchased which has bugger all tracks marked on it.
Has backpack - will travel...
RSD
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Ent » Wed 27 Jun, 2012 11:05 pm

Hi RSD

It is well known that Parks as the landowner has control over what does or does not appear on Tasmaps. Regardless of the debate on merits or otherwise this does comprise the quality of the maps as you have found.

As I have found Garmin maps are very poor for tracks but very good for lakes and waterways. The maps mentioned appear ok for the Magellan GPS for tracks but based on water bodies I doubt their 1:25,000 claim.

I am slowly working in the OSM maps for the area but at the moment they are best described as basic. In fact dangerous might not be a too stronger word. Chapman or others of his ilk are likely to be your best reference. Or PM me if you are after something as might be able to help.

The important thing to consider is it is an alpine area so not resilient to heavy use. The trouble is many people that cannot do the OLT are using the area and the infrastructure is not intended for the increasing numbers.

Problem we have in Tassie us our iconic wilderness status is not been supported by resources to deal with the growing numbers.

Cheers
(Shawshank Redemption)
Ent
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby RSD » Thu 28 Jun, 2012 12:39 am

Ent wrote:It is well known that Parks as the landowner has control over what does or does not appear on Tasmaps. Regardless of the debate on merits or otherwise this does comprise the quality of the maps as you have found.

The important thing to consider is it is an alpine area so not resilient to heavy use. The trouble is many people that cannot do the OLT are using the area and the infrastructure is not intended for the increasing numbers.

Problem we have in Tassie us our iconic wilderness status is not been supported by resources to deal with the growing numbers.

That may explain why they have chosen not to show the track from Dixon's Kingdom to Lake Ball to form the circuit. I'm from Tassie originally but didn't realise that the number of visitors coming in from interstate and OS to do the OLT etc had grown so much. I guess that is the case with any tourism destination that becomes popular. Given the state budget problems in Tassie at the moment I can't see the resources being available to keep up. Hopefully the increased use will not ruin the area.

As I have found Garmin maps are very poor for tracks but very good for lakes and waterways. The maps mentioned appear ok for the Magellan GPS for tracks but based on water bodies I doubt their 1:25,000 claim.

I got the impression from a map place that the Magellan's were a lot better for bushwalking.

I am slowly working in the OSM maps for the area but at the moment they are best described as basic. In fact dangerous might not be a too stronger word. Chapman or others of his ilk are likely to be your best reference. Or PM me if you are after something as might be able to help.

I purchased a copy of Chapman a couple of days ago and I am slowly working through it. If I have any further questions I will get in touch with you.
RSD
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Ent » Thu 28 Jun, 2012 8:42 am

Hi

When heading through there it appears that there is not a clearly defined path from the lake to the hut. It is open country so easy off track walking. Helps to have the hut marked in case you get turned around by the weather.

Cheers
(Shawshank Redemption)
Ent
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby RSD » Thu 28 Jun, 2012 9:25 pm

OK cheers for that - sounds like good advice.
RSD
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Ent » Thu 28 Jun, 2012 10:13 pm

Hi

Have s look at OSM as I have uploaded a few tracks that might help.

Cheers
(Shawshank Redemption)
Ent
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby RSD » Thu 28 Jun, 2012 11:50 pm

Ent wrote:Hi

Have s look at OSM as I have uploaded a few tracks that might help.

Cheers

OSM?
RSD
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Ent » Fri 29 Jun, 2012 12:07 am

Hi

OSM is Open Street Maps, a world wide collective of people building maps for free use. The maps are vector based and can be uploaded to Garmin and maybe other vector based devices. A few apps exist for the iPhone.

The maps are rather incomplete for Tassie but I have been adding major tracks that I walked along with lakes and a few peaks.

Been working on the Walls area. You can bring them up on a web browser. Search for say Mount Jerusalem, Australia.

Worse comes to worse I have them in GPX format.

What I have been doing us cleaning up the plots and converting them to paths. As mentioned doing the main ones that generally appear on Tasmaps.

But due to Walls maps being so bad I have tracked from the carpark to Mount Jerusalem. And down and across to Lake Ball. I have not done from Lake Ball to Dixon Kingdom hut as there is not a definable path that I could follow.

Cheers
(Shawshank Redemption)
Ent
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Return to Techno-Babble