GPS recommendations?

For all high tech electronic equipment including GPS, PLB, chargers, phones, computers, software. Discussion of simple electrical devices such as torches, belongs in the main 'Equipment' forum.

GPS recommendations?

Postby stu » Thu 04 Sep, 2008 8:27 am

Knowing there are plenty of fellow gear freaks out there I suspect this topic will get many a response, hopefully :D
I am after suggestions for a good GPS, until now I have relied on friends ones & its about time to invest in my own.
I do alot of off-track walking (I'm a mad keen peak bagger) so need to more & more rely on this piece of gear.
There has been many a time when others GPS's have got us out of sticky situations, especially in white-out conditions.
My main criteria is strength of receptor (are some better in scrub / forest than others? - this is pretty important as days can pass in the thick stuff, especially in the South West) & especially weight more than multiple fandangled features, tho some other features - altimeter, compass, thermometer are very handy I guess.
I have been eyeing off the Silva Multi-Navigator - http://www.silva.se/templates/Products_ ... productId={627CD2F6-78D4-4843-8040-54B4FA685227} - anyone have any experience with these? They seem to have pretty good features in a fairly light weigh package.
Is a 12 channel GPS the best one to get - does this mean a better signal?
Any feed back is much appreciated, being an expensive piece of gear I want to do plenty of research first.
Cheers.
Stuart.
stu
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Tasmania

Re: GPS recommendations?

Postby frank_in_oz » Thu 04 Sep, 2008 2:38 pm

I am a bit Garman centric, generally surgest you buy what you can afford.

I think the most critical thing you need to think about is the mapping software. i.e. what works on your GPS and how good it is.

We use Shonky maps which IMO are pretty accurate.

I blogged about a comparison between mapsource (that comes with Garmin), Tracks4 Australia (more 4wd centric) and Shonky maps. Might be worth a read if you are interested: http://frankinoz.blogspot.com/2007/10/g ... iking.html
Frank
Check out "Our Hiking Blog" Overland Track guide, Food to Go-recipe ideas and Trekking to Everest Base Camp.
frank_in_oz
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Tony » Thu 04 Sep, 2008 2:55 pm

Hi stubowling,

I think most good quality GPS's suitable for bushwalking are 12 channel now.

The other thing to look for is if the GPS has Sirf star iii gps chip, these are much more sensitive than the old chips, I have had readings in a deep vertical sided gully only a few meters wide.

http://gpstekreviews.com/2006/12/20/sir ... s-devices/

I like the Garmin e-trex series. I use a Garmin 305 runners watch GPS but it is difficult to use, my walking partner has a the basic e-trex and it seems fine.

Tony
There is no such thing as bad weather.....only bad clothing. Norwegian Proverb
Tony
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Australian Capital Territory

Postby sthughes » Thu 04 Sep, 2008 3:07 pm

I've got a Garmin Etrex Venture Hc. These have great reception way beyond where the old Garmin's would go. With Garmin gps's just look for the High Sensitivity antenna, it makes a world of difference. (Two of the other BWT Strollers have bought Venure's since seeing mine hold a signal all day when they couldn't even get a lock with older Garmins).
The Venture is excellent value for money at under $200 delivered off Ebay. If value isn't a big feature for you then the next model up has the built in electronic compass and altimeter.
Crikey reading back through that I sound like a Garmin sales rep or something!
I notice on the Garmin website they have touch screen models about to come out that can have topo maps uploaded - sounds interesting.
Anyone know what GPS reception is like on an Iphone?
Last edited by sthughes on Fri 05 Sep, 2008 3:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Don't do today what you can put off 'till tomorrow." (Work that is!)
sthughes
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Pompom » Thu 04 Sep, 2008 5:56 pm

Hi, My GPS experience is quite limited. I have a Garmin Etrex Legend and I find it great for my bushwalking.The following GPS Forum site might prove interesting to you.

http://www.gpsaustralia.net/forums/index.php?

Lots of good advice there.

Bob Cooper
Pompom

Postby MJD » Thu 04 Sep, 2008 8:43 pm

There's a huge number of GPS receivers to choose from. How much functionality do you want? I have a Garmin GPSMap 60CSx. Brilliant. It uses a SiRFstarIII chip. Maps for mapping models range from free and ok to good but expensive. The good thing about the 60CSx is that Garmin have released two new series of receivers (Colorado & Oregon) that are better in some regards but seemingly not reception wise. The release of the new models has meant a big reduction in the price of a 60CSx.
Carpe diem
MJD
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby stu » Fri 05 Sep, 2008 7:53 am

Thanks very much everyone, most helpful as always. It seems everyone will probably have a different opinion on this piece of gear, but Garmins seem to be the status quo. I'll continue my research, & I will check out the gps forum, thanks for that one Bob. Stu.
stu
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Tony » Fri 05 Sep, 2008 3:07 pm

Hi Stu,

I have just had lunch with a Geo spatial Information Services manager friend who had just took delivery (12 noon) of a Garmin Oregon 300 GPS, a new generation of GPS's, I spent lunchtime playing with it, it blew me away. It was much easier to use than any other GPS that I have played with as it had a touch screen and was well layed out, it is expensive, but worth a look.

https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?pID=14903

Tony
There is no such thing as bad weather.....only bad clothing. Norwegian Proverb
Tony
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Australian Capital Territory

Postby tasadam » Wed 24 Sep, 2008 1:01 pm

I remember about a year ago on a TV show, possibly Beyond 2000 or something like that, they had a feature on the GPS that is available to every member of the UK police dept on street duty. I think they were built into their radios.
They described it as an advancement like the CPU's ran 1000 times faster than the CPU's of conventional GPS units, as such the reception was 1000 times more accurate - so they could pinpoint where anyone was to the square metre - even inside buildings - yes tehy worked in buildings because as the sampling was much more due to the CPU, they were also more sensitive to the signal that was available - this was what made them work indoors.

Does anyone know more on this and whether this is now a technology that exists in "off the shelf" GPS units?

The way it was described, heck I would think of upgrading if it were available - my e-Trex doesn't work too good under the trees.

Ultimately the gadget I would like is a GPS / EPIRB built into one, with sensitive GPS info availability, EPIRB that told the satellites where I was and who I was (registering system), and interchangeable batteries - pref. AA - that way I could always keep a good set of AA just in case the EPIRB function was needed.
Too much to ask?
tasadam
Magnus administratio
Magnus administratio

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: TasmaniART, Smitten Merino, Macpac

Postby frank_in_oz » Thu 25 Sep, 2008 7:33 am

tasadam wrote:Ultimately the gadget I would like is a GPS / EPIRB built into one, with sensitive GPS info availability, EPIRB that told the satellites where I was and who I was (registering system), and interchangeable batteries - pref. AA - that way I could always keep a good set of AA just in case the EPIRB function was needed.
Too much to ask?

No , that would be perfect

Not sure if you have seen this which only meets part of your wish list. It is called SPOT and is a tracker /locator/ emergency beacon - costly but worth a look more for where these devices are heading http://www.findmespot.com/home.aspx
Frank
Check out "Our Hiking Blog" Overland Track guide, Food to Go-recipe ideas and Trekking to Everest Base Camp.
frank_in_oz
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby walkinTas » Thu 25 Sep, 2008 10:43 am

That is a great bit of gear frank_in_oz. I like the simple "I am OK" message system. It gives a few hints to what we can expect in the future, including maybe the need to purchase insurance to cover search and rescue costs and helicopter extraction.
walkinTas
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby MountainMule » Wed 01 Oct, 2008 2:06 pm

Hi There Stuart, To directly answer your query about whether someone has a Silva, I have had one for ten years or so [ back when they cost twice as much as they do now!] and I've enjoyed the 'relationship'.
Back when I bought mine there were few GPS units which had a compass which operated when you were stationary, had an altimeter and barometer, and an alpha-style waypoint ability [ you can name a waypoint instead of giving them a number]. Another big selling point was the large screen and large alpha-numeric display. [ I am an old bugger and need glasses to read small print these days ]. It is very easy to read compared with many other units. All these features made the Silva a good choice.
One caveat: the more features you have, the more batteries you use. The Silva is well set up in this regard; ie you have the ability to close it down except for compass function which reduces power drain.
I have used mine mainly for sea-kayaking, with wide open skies of course; I am not sure how well the Silva performs under forest cover compared with other brands. I would be interested in hearing if Silva have updated their CPU ability since I bought mine.
Cheers,
MountainMule
MountainMule
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby tasadam » Mon 06 Oct, 2008 12:35 pm

frank_in_oz wrote:Not sure if you have seen this which only meets part of your wish list. It is called SPOT and is a tracker /locator/ emergency beacon - costly but worth a look more for where these devices are heading http://www.findmespot.com/home.aspx

What I have provided below I see as good information, I am in no way affiliated with them, nor am I on any kind of gratis.

Interesting web site and interesting item.
So I contacted them...

So do you sell these things in Australia?
http://www.findmespot.com/home.aspx

I am interested. See viewtopic.php?p=8509#p8509
You may find that whole thread interesting.

Save me a bit of reading perhaps -
How much for one, including delivery?
And how much per year for registration?
What level of registration would you recommend?
Can you register for a month, say if I don't use it often I can register it for only the week / month I want to use it to save money?
What other products do you sell that might interest us?
I am the moderator at the bushwalk forum so I would be happy to share with the forum anything you provide me.
There's no advertising allowed, but good reviews of useful stuff like this is okay, and if it looks like advertising I can run it by the site admin first.

And I got a response...
Thank you for your interest in SPOT! Our partner in Australia, Pivotel, can direct you to a retailer in Australia. I've CC'd <name> on this email - he can help you out from here.
SRP in Australia is $299 AUD (includes GST) and basic service is $115 USD.

And then a response from Australia
Many thanks for your enquiry which has been passed to us as the authorized SPOT distributors for Australia.

The answers to your questions are in blue beside the questions.

How much for one, including delivery? RRP $299 plus delivery

And how much per year for registration? US$115

What level of registration would you recommend? Do you need tracking then the higher level would be necessary at an extra US$50

Can you register for a month, say if I don't use it often I can register it for only the week / month I want to use it to save money? No , only annually

What other products do you sell that might interest us? We distribute the French brand of PLB , the Kannad XS-3 406GPS which sells for $699 but has no fees but is a passive unit that just sends a distress signal but is activated by the emergency services immediately. Spot allows your home or office to see where you are and for both low level and high level alerts to be sent
We also distribute Magellan GPS products and we are just about to release raster mapping for all of the national parks of Australia on our Triton range

I am the moderator at the bushwalk forum so I would be happy to share with the forum anything you provide me. I attach our dealer flyer but will give you as much information as needed. The important point to be made is the authorisation and certification there are some SPOT units being offered via the www which do not comply with the strict communications certification standards in Australia and could be at risk of not being tracked via the Australian communications gateway.
There's no advertising allowed, but good reviews of useful stuff like this is okay, and if it looks like advertising I can run it by the site admin first.

If you need any more help , let me know and I can point you to a suitable dealer in Tasmania
tasadam
Magnus administratio
Magnus administratio

Postby Baldeagle » Thu 20 Nov, 2008 9:09 pm

MJD wrote:There's a huge number of GPS receivers to choose from. How much functionality do you want? I have a Garmin GPSMap 60CSx. Brilliant. It uses a SiRFstarIII chip. Maps for mapping models range from free and ok to good but expensive. The good thing about the 60CSx is that Garmin have released two new series of receivers (Colorado & Oregon) that are better in some regards but seemingly not reception wise. The release of the new models has meant a big reduction in the price of a 60CSx.

I have to agree, having used many of the Garmin units, this baby has come out on top for reception, I get a solid reception sitting in my front room, my old 60sc won't track a single thing under a roof.
Baldeagle
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Re: GPS recommendations? nuvi 500

Postby greyim » Thu 02 Apr, 2009 6:52 pm

Has anyone got a Nuvi 500 cross over? I am thinking of getting one...
Nothing beats a nice camp fire
greyim
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Darren » Thu 02 Apr, 2009 7:15 pm

G'Day
My GPS experience so far.
Garmin 12, Years ago, good didn’t know any Better
Magellan colour, Very happy, hard on batteries, waited for years for toppo software
Magellan explorist, toppo software, very slow, didn’t like it, Batteries lasted well
Magellan Trinitron 500 .current, Very happy, easy to use, good toppo software, bit heavy on batteries, I would recommend this GPS
Hope this helps
Darren
Darren
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby whiskeylover » Fri 03 Apr, 2009 10:44 am

Thanks for all the info so far, but I am still confused as to which GPS is the best to buy. I have not really used a GPS much as I love maps and studying the details on them for ages. I found the old GPS's very frustrating and it was easier to stick to the compass, but now that technology has moved on and they appear more user friendly I think it might be worth investing in one. We are about to embark on a six month 4WD trip around Australia too, so would like one that could be used in the city, in rural and remote areas and for bushwalking. Is that a big ask or is there one available that has all the features we might find useful, like light weight, large screen, long battery life, huge memory, easy to use and easy to work out how to download maps onto it and compatible with our Toshiba laptop? Where is the best place to go looking for one in Tas? Thanks in anticipation, Mrs Whisky.
medicinal purposes only of course
whiskeylover
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby scrub master » Fri 03 Apr, 2009 11:00 am

I haven't got one of these, but from what I've seen and read, I'm drooling at the prospect of having one. Just waiting for the exchange rate to improve a bit before I make use of Kev's $$$

http://shop.delorme.com/OA_HTML/DELibeCCtdItemDetail.jsp?item=28646&section=10461

The best part is it will take raster maps & satellite images and display them on screen - ie a topomap in the palm of your hand.
scrub master
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby Darren » Fri 03 Apr, 2009 11:05 am

G’Day Mrs Whisky
If you want something small easy to use and very good I would recommend the Magellan triton 500. It has a smaller frame size than the 1500 and 2000 and no useless (battery robbing) features like cameras etc. If you buy the traveller pack it has a good car mount, the toppo software and computer cables you require. The Magellan toppo software is very good and all states are includes in one SD card. If you’re not concerned about weight (????) a Magellan crossover would be the go. It is a handheld gps that uses the same Magellan software plus it can mount in you car and has road navigator software. I have never used one of these so I can’t comment on it or its reaction speed.
The problem with the older explorist series was with toppo software the computer was struggling and it was painfully slow. Like trying to use the internet on a commodore vic 20.
The new triton I have uses windows based software I’m told and is much quicker.
I am not an expert on anything; I am just relating my experience.
Hope that helps
Darren
Darren
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Darren » Fri 03 Apr, 2009 11:10 am

One more thing
Be very careful buying GPS'S off ebay. You used to be able to buy one from the US and put the Australian base maps on much cheaper. Next destination, the Australian distributors of Magellan didn't like missing out on gouging our money out of us, so now you can’t. This is a fact for Magellan. I do not know about other brands
Darren
Darren
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby whiskeylover » Fri 03 Apr, 2009 11:14 am

Thanks Darren,
Yes, that sounds like what we might be looking for - I'm not too concerned about every gram but they all seem to be under a certain size so we should be right with that I suppose. Any ideas on places to go to talk to the experts and buy one - I'd probably rather local service than buying one on fleabay, or from the US.
whiskeylover
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby sthughes » Fri 03 Apr, 2009 11:21 am

Tamar Marine usually have a few set up on display you can play with - don't know about that model in particular though.

The full dealer list for Magellan is here:
http://www.nextdestination.com.au/Pages/DealerLocator.aspx?State=TAS
sthughes
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Darren » Fri 03 Apr, 2009 11:22 am

G'Day
I bought my triton 500 traveler pack online from Prestige communicatons. They were very helpful and a very good price.. Once you have decided on what you want there is little benifit in buying from a local store unless they match the price.
Remember .Do not buy Magellan on Ebay or the US
Hope that helps
Darren
Darren
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby sthughes » Fri 03 Apr, 2009 11:33 am

Once you have decided on what you want there is little benifit in buying from a local store unless they match the price.

Unless of course you don't believe in screwing people around and making them do all the work and then taking your money elsewhere. Local retailers provide a service as well as a product and that is why you pay a little extra. If you don't want retailers to dissapear and for us to have to buy everything online then either support them or don't waste their time and got straight to the net.
Having said that if they are charging too ridiculously then yeah bugger 'em. :wink:
sthughes
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Darren » Fri 03 Apr, 2009 11:43 am

If that is the case then I suggest you walk down you main street and hand out $50 notes to every shop you see, just because there in your town. I didn’t remember suggesting you 'Screw people around, Make them do all the work, and go else ware’ You could decide on the net.
Then again your local retailer could reward your loyalty by offering you a competitive price.
Now there’s a thought
Darren
Darren
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby sthughes » Fri 03 Apr, 2009 11:56 am

You could decide on the net.

Yeah and like I said thats cool - then buy it on the net by all means. I do that all the time.
I just dissagree with going to a retailer and taking their advice, trying out their merchandise and using up their valuable time with no intention of buying from them unless they can match a price for some guy who basically just takes one off a pallet, wraps it up and posts it.
sthughes
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby whiskeylover » Fri 03 Apr, 2009 12:06 pm

Hey I didn't mean to start an argument! I'm not one to buy from the net unless it is super muchly cheaper, like cycling gear is from the UK, but certainly if I'm asking you for advice in a shop then I'm looking to buy from you, at the right price. Shopping around is I think sensible though. Do you think there is any value in a mobile phone with GPS or do they not have enough capapcity for what I want? I'm in the market for a new mobile too - probably prepaid?
whiskeylover
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Darren » Fri 03 Apr, 2009 12:23 pm

G'Day
I have no experiance but i would say no as you wouldnt get the toppo software

sthuges, all good mate, I can see your point too.
Darren
Darren
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby tasadam » Tue 14 Apr, 2009 8:07 am

A friend of mine bought an in-car GPS, and he got a Garmin e-Trex included.
If you want a closer look at my e-Trex, sing out.

Still confused as to which to buy, time to ask exactly what you want it for, what you want it to do (must-have features, or just a basic "here I am" GPS), how much you want to spend, etc.
tasadam
Magnus administratio
Magnus administratio

Postby E.G. » Thu 25 Jun, 2009 8:06 am

HI,

Just got a Garmin Oregon 200, the touchscreen is fantastic. Still getting to understand it but a great step forward from my old Geko 301.
E.G.
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Return to Techno-Babble