iPhone5

For all high tech electronic equipment including GPS, PLB, chargers, phones, computers, software. Discussion of simple electrical devices such as torches, belongs in the main 'Equipment' forum.

iPhone5

Postby walkinTas » Sun 09 Sep, 2012 9:51 pm

For those who can't live without the latest, hang in there. Just three more sleeps and iPhone 5 will be released. :)
walkinTas
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Tasmania

Re: iPhone5

Postby Strider » Sun 09 Sep, 2012 10:20 pm

walkinTas wrote:For those who can't live without the latest, hang in there. Just three more sleeps and iPhone 5 will be released. :)

Rumour has it it won't be the iPhone 5, as it is technically the 6th iPhone. Speculation says it will follow the same trend as "iPad", and simply be named "iPhone".

But still exiting nonetheless! 8)
Strider
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Victoria

Postby bmak » Mon 10 Sep, 2012 1:04 pm

Counting the days here.

I've had all iPhones right from the first one and haven't been tempted by android yet.

Be interesting to see what's offered as a lot of people seem pretty sure they know what's being announced this time.
bmak
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby sthughes » Mon 10 Sep, 2012 2:21 pm

The invitations apple sent out for the media event had an image that casts a shadow in the shape of a 5, so it's looking increasingly like it will be the iPhone 5, not 6. But who knows.

Looking forward to seeing if all the gossip and leaked parts etc are on the money. I'm hoping there is more to it than what has already been revealed, otherwise it isn't a radical improvement on the 4S in my opinion.

I was actually keen to perhaps switch to the new Nokia Windows 8 Phones, but they both missed the mark for me, so now looking at an iPhone 5 again.

If the latest rumours of Telstra 4G compatibility, 7.9mm thick and an inbuilt fingerprint scanner are true (as well as all the other changes) I'll be very tempted.

Only 2 days, 12 hours and 39 minutes to wait :D :D :D :D
"Don't do today what you can put off 'till tomorrow." (Work that is!)
sthughes
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby walkinTas » Mon 10 Sep, 2012 3:07 pm

Yes, I've just been dying to get my hands on a phone with fingerprint scanning. :twisted:
I was actually keen to perhaps switch to the new Nokia Windows 8 Phone, but they both missed the mark for me
Please elaborate! I was actually thinking of buying shares in Nokia - currently $2.64 down from $40. This is their last gasp! If Windows 8 phones boom, so will Nokia. Otherwise they most likely will wither and die. So why are you raining on their parade (and my potential investment)? :wink: What didn't you like?
walkinTas
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby sthughes » Mon 10 Sep, 2012 3:30 pm

I think they are good phones (possibly great phones if the 920's camera is as good as it appears/claims to be).

In the case of the 920 the size is just too crazy for my likes. I'm in the minority that actually likes the current iPhone size, anything beyond 4" is a bit big to me, and in the case of the new Nokias they are both big (screen wise) as well as very thick and a bit heavy as well. If I could get the high end features of the 920 in something the size of the 820 I'd be very tempted. Basically the only "flagship level" smart phone in the world (that I know of) which is not gigantic is the iPhone.

But I'm in the minority on this, so I'm sure the Nokias will do well, just like the enormous Samsung Galaxy S3 and Galaxy Note do. That's when they eventually get them on the shelves of course!!

An iPhone 5 running Windows Phone 8 - perfect! :wink:

Oh and then there is the app support on Windows, but that's improving day by day.
sthughes
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby photohiker » Mon 10 Sep, 2012 3:35 pm

Shame to see Nokia fall into such a big hole. They were catching up with their Maemo platform, but then they employed an ex-Microsoft employee as CEO. Didn't take long and they had caved in and adopted Windows Phone. :(

Had a chuckle at this:

Michael
photohiker
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby sthughes » Mon 10 Sep, 2012 3:58 pm

photohiker wrote:Shame to see Nokia fall into such a big hole. They were catching up with their Maemo platform, but then they employed an ex-Microsoft employee as CEO. Didn't take long and they had caved in and adopted Windows Phone. :(

I love Windows Phone, I think they made the right call by dumping Maemo/Meego. Not because it wasn't good, but I think down the track the third party app support and Windows computer integration will see huge benefits for Nokia sales using a Windows OS. But it all hinges on how seamless the Windows desktop/Tablet/Phone experience is and how many app developers come onboard for Windows Phone and RT in my opinion.

Interesting to see what happens with Samsung now we have the three big companies/partnerships (Google/Motorola, Microsoft/Nokia and Apple) up against them. If the Google/Motorola partership works and they finally put out some good phones (i.e. dump MotoBlur and make all Motorolas Nexus devices perhaps) it might be Samsung seeing sales fall off. But for now they rule supreme.

Love the graphic :wink:
sthughes
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Ent » Mon 10 Sep, 2012 6:29 pm

I would be surprised if Motorola do not manage to stuff their phones. Never really had a brilliant phone from them. Nokia got a huge kick forward when they developed battery saving electronics and software but then proceed to make every subsequent phone just that little bit worse.

Full credit to Apple for defining what they wanted and making the best phone that they can. As for Microsoft, well yes running some Office applications is handy but basically most people are using email, social media and good old phone functions and not that phased by typing up a Word document or swinging a huge Excel Spreadsheet. The only feature I miss with my iPhone is the ability to download files But then again the phone has never hung on me, took a minute to setup emails, etc and gives me plenty of apps to look at. The screen is great. The 4S has excellent reception and battery life is adequate.

Frankly I can not see a killer feature out there that people must have.

Perfection for me would be a waterproof iPhone.

Cheers
"lt only took six years. From now on, l´ll write two letters a week instead of one."
(Shawshank Redemption)
Ent
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby sthughes » Mon 10 Sep, 2012 7:25 pm

Ent wrote: As for Microsoft, well yes running some Office applications is handy but basically most people are using email, social media and good old phone functions and not that phased by typing up a Word document or swinging a huge Excel Spreadsheet.
Err umm not sure you're quite getting what Windows Phone is all about, its nothing like the Windows phones of 3 or 4 years ago. It's as good or better than an iPhone for email, phone and social networking, and runs smoothly and stably on low end hardware. On top of that even my Mum can use it - so its very easy. Yeah, like an iPhone it can do word processing etc as well, not that you would want to on a 4 inch screen. To me it's half way between iOS and Android and better than either (unless you're a geek and like Androids rooting etc abilities).
sthughes
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby wildernesswanderer » Mon 10 Sep, 2012 10:53 pm

How is windows better? Please explain, a system that isn't even around and nobody uses. Nokia killed themselves by lagging and not looking forward, If they think that Microsoft will pull them back they have backed the wrong platform. Windows have always played catch up to Apple and they are hitting the market so late yet again I can't see them really getting anywhere, remember the Zume, was going to be the iPod killer......
wildernesswanderer
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Rico » Mon 10 Sep, 2012 11:34 pm

The rubber band function in the new iPhone will change everything... Again!

http://allthingsd.com/20120909/insane-b ... ectronics/
Rico
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: www.adventurefriends.com.au
Region: Queensland

Postby walkinTas » Tue 11 Sep, 2012 12:02 am

wildernesswanderer wrote:How is windows better? Please explain...
Depends on who you are. One growing area of IT is byo computing. That is, more and more people want to be able to take their technology into the workplace and workplaces are discovering how to securely manage this. Well, some are - others are just doing the whole King Canute act. (Its all about the surface of your choice - or the surface for your need.) Unfortunately many of those workplaces are Microsoft domains, and Blackberry, Android and Apple don't always make for good corporate citizens at the domain level. So the IT departments have to work harder to secure these devices on the corporate domain. A Microsoft OS on every surface offers the potential for corporate friendly surfaces on all mobile devices (smart phone through to laptop), unless of course you have an arm processor - a horrible truth. Reality might yet be different, but promise and potential inspire. Windows 8, Office 2013 and the new MS Server 2012 platforms are all about enabling cloud computing and touch input. The promise is a highly mobile future where ultimately the keyboard is assigned to history. (Don't hold your breathe its dawning not midday technology). Take a moment for a little glimpse of one possible future. Now take a deep breath because you still have to deal with the reality of 2012 - sadly.

Being parochial about future technology is as silly as a debate between Holden and Ford owners at a Ferrari convention. The main players of the last decade may or may not be the main players in the next decade. That much, history has proven.
walkinTas
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Swampy460 » Tue 11 Sep, 2012 4:29 am

May be a bit cheeky but if anyone wants to unload there 4s when updating ,,, pm me please :oops: :)

Swampy
Swampy460
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Region: New South Wales

Postby Overlandman » Tue 11 Sep, 2012 9:27 pm

Looking forward to '"Ents'" view on the i phone 5 navigator :)
Whatever, Wherever, Whenever
Overlandman
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Strider » Tue 11 Sep, 2012 9:58 pm

Overlandman wrote:Looking forward to '"Ents'" view on the i phone 5 navigator :)

Easy.

"Comment deleted by poster"

:lol:
Strider
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby sthughes » Wed 12 Sep, 2012 5:00 am

wildernesswanderer wrote:How is windows better? Please explain, a system that isn't even around and nobody uses.

Windows 8 phone is basically an improvement on Windows 7(.5) phone, which plenty of people use, and notably give the highest ratings of any phone OS users. But really to explain why it is better is impossible, it may not be technically better, I don't know. But the user experience which is very hard to quantify is fantastic and in most users opinion better than iOS or Android is to their respective users eyes. I own and use daily an iPhone and a Nexus 7 tablet, but still think Windows Phone is the nicest OS to use. It just lacks the app support of iOS, but that is changing quickly.
sthughes
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby walkinTas » Thu 13 Sep, 2012 1:09 am

Last edited by walkinTas on Thu 13 Sep, 2012 4:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
walkinTas
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby walkinTas » Thu 13 Sep, 2012 4:02 am

Ships September 21 and the Same price for the iPhone 4S. $199 $299, $399.
walkinTas
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby photohiker » Thu 13 Sep, 2012 8:09 am

Those are US carrier supported prices I think.

Apple store says $799 for the unlocked 16Gb version...
Michael
photohiker
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby ollster » Thu 13 Sep, 2012 8:58 am

iPhone4.2
Attachments
143257.jpg
143257.jpg (110.59 KiB) Viewed 19697 times
"I refuse to join any club that would have me as a member."
ollster
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: LoveMyGoat.com
Region: Australia

Postby walkinTas » Thu 13 Sep, 2012 11:56 am

Wow, that's amazing. New milk and 22% lighter, OMG! ....wait, that's been done before, it's just a copy of Sam Young's milk.

photohiker wrote:Those are US carrier supported prices I think.
Yes, but presumably iphone 5 will be the same price as iphone 4S was here.

It's a pity they didn't put GPS mapping and the 8 megapixel camera in the new ipod.
walkinTas
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby wildernesswanderer » Thu 13 Sep, 2012 12:18 pm

Nothing new really, just a bigger screen to break ;) unless they changed it somehow

Faster. lighter and 2010 looks still, come on Apple wheres the innovation gone. think different etc etc.
wildernesswanderer
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby walkinTas » Thu 13 Sep, 2012 12:31 pm

You didn't think they were going to change the rounded corners bit did you, after all the trouble they went to just to own rounded corners?

Technology wise there are some nice things under the skin. Apparently it will work with Telstra and Vodaphone. In fact some nice improvements in networking and interfacing. And it's faster and smarter, but still probably evolutionary rather than revolutionary. I think it is the minimum necessary to stay competitive. With all the hype there was always room for lots of disappointment.
walkinTas
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby stepbystep » Thu 13 Sep, 2012 12:50 pm

I'm more excited about what's for dinner tonight.
The idea of wilderness needs no defense, it only needs defenders ~ Edward Abbey
stepbystep
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Strider » Thu 13 Sep, 2012 1:59 pm

Another iPhone short of the playing field. The Galaxy S3 looks like it will retain the top spot for a while yet.
Strider
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby walkinTas » Thu 13 Sep, 2012 2:51 pm

For those with a slightly more open minded approach to technology - a side by side comparison (well sort of!).
walkinTas
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby doogs » Thu 13 Sep, 2012 3:26 pm

This about sums it up (apart from iphone users get way way way too excited when a new product comes out)
csectioncomicsiphonevsa.jpg
Do you want to build a snowman?
doogs
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby ULWalkingPhil » Thu 13 Sep, 2012 3:44 pm

Overpriced in my opinion. Not worth the money and nothing there to really say Wow!
Normally Apple come out with technology that's out of this world, since the passing of Steve Jobs this has not been the case, I can see early signs of the company going backwards and not forwards.

A lot of the so called new technology in the new iPhone has been out on Android phones for a long time, this is what media are saying.
ULWalkingPhil
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Queensland

Postby phan_TOM » Thu 13 Sep, 2012 3:56 pm

stepbystep wrote:I'm more excited about what's for dinner tonight.

Chicken? Hey look, some belly button lint.
ALWAYS be yourself.
Unless you can be outside, then ALWAYS be outside.
phan_TOM
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Region: New South Wales

Next

Return to Techno-Babble