findfast locator beacon issues?

For all high tech electronic equipment including GPS, PLB, chargers, phones, computers, software. Discussion of simple electrical devices such as torches, belongs in the main 'Equipment' forum.

findfast locator beacon issues?

Postby wayno » Thu 01 Nov, 2012 5:02 am

anyone had to use one of these?
had a battery replaced?
any issues?

i was reading about GME locator beacons, they have sealed beacons and won't replace the batteries or service them. they dont like the thought of a beacon thats been opened in case they cant guarantee the waterproofness of it.

i was looking at findfast ones which can have the battery replaced and was wondering how reliable they will be after the battery is replaced
i read about a guy who's locator beacon became wet and he had to take it apart to get it going, don't know what brand it was though it didnt mention it...
can you do a test on the find fasts to make sure its working?
from the land of the long white clouds...
wayno
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: New Zealand

Re: findfast locator beacon issues?

Postby Rob A » Thu 01 Nov, 2012 8:26 am

My GME comes with a 6+6 battery replacement.
For bushwalking I have a Mac Fastfind which has an encased aerial which I thought was the sensible solution for something kept in a pack.
Absolutely I do not play with the things, nor prod and poke and test it. I dont have to touch wet paint either, but some people do.
Your mate with the wet one, was it current, ever been tampered with or abused, you dont know what it was. Hearsay?
Every four seconds, somewhere in the world, an Harlequin Mills and Boon is sold ... Wot ...
Rob A
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Region: New South Wales

Postby wayno » Thu 01 Nov, 2012 8:32 am

i read about the wet one in a news article , there was no more information on what model it was
wayno
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Rob A » Thu 01 Nov, 2012 9:01 am

I dont believe you can test them either, without teeing it up with your regulatory body, and they would probably only shedule it in for stuff like inspections for round the worlders or major events. Units themselves all have a battery life test which is what all the idiots press, much to the chagrin of the beacon hire people. Everything you need to know is on the manufacturers sites and AMSA or RCCNZ for you guys.
Every four seconds, somewhere in the world, an Harlequin Mills and Boon is sold ... Wot ...
Rob A

Region: New South Wales

Postby wayno » Thu 01 Nov, 2012 9:30 am

i've been told by the distirubtor you an test them it may have changed with the new 220 model
wayno
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Return to Techno-Babble