Confused about GPS? Not any more...well, sort of

For all high tech electronic equipment including GPS, PLB, chargers, phones, computers, software. Discussion of simple electrical devices such as torches, belongs in the main 'Equipment' forum.

Confused about GPS? Not any more...well, sort of

Postby Onestepmore » Tue 08 Jan, 2013 7:40 am

Having recently bought ourselves a Magellan Explorist 710, we now need to learn how to drive the little beastie

I was embarassed late one Saturday afternoon (we had both worked that morning) to find ourselves 'lost' in the well travelled Blue Mountains, when we somehow missed a turn off (there was a lot of track reconstruction at the time) to Rodriguez path, on the way to Acacia Flat and the Blue Gum Forest for an overnight walk. We found ourselves instead heading up the Grand Canyon. It would have been nice to have known exactly where were were sooner, and we could have backtracked while we still had time and light. All was good, we camped under a great rock overhang near the creek and did another walk the next morning out of the valley. As we plan on doing more longer walks I thought it was time to bite the bullet and buy 'something'

What I have bought is probably overkill, but this model comes with all the Aust States and NZ maps preloaded, and we can also use it as a car navigation guide in our second car (it doesn't talk to you though like my Navman though and the screen is a lot smaller). If we go overseas additional maps can be purchased. It's got a pretty low res camera, I guess just for pics of waypoints etc, and a mic so you can make track notes. Not sure if we'll actually use these functions. It's waterproof up to 1 m depth for 30 mins. I know the Garmin ones have the ability to make your own maps, but this isn't something I forsee myself doing. (Is this what the Maps and Trax advertisement up the top of the forum page is referring to??) Reading these forums seemed to give the impression that the Garmins were less user friendly. I need something easy :wink:

I bought my model from Johhny Appleseed, from the North Sydney store over the phone. The staff member with whom I dealt was extremely helpful. All they do is sell GPS and PLB's etc. They will price match, and it arrived the next day by mail. Magellan also have a deal at the moment where, after you register your purchase on their website, they'll send you some freebies such as a case and a car mount bracket etc, depending on the model you buy. This arrived about a week later.

The Johhny Applseed website has some good information, which, as a technonoob, I am slowly working my way through. I thought some others here might find it interesting and helpful
http://www.ja-gps.com.au/links.aspx
And now I also know the difference between a PLB and an EPIRB! (http://www.ja-gps.com.au/GME/mt410g-plb/ - down the bottom)

This site is also helpful
http://gpstracklog.com/2011/01/magellan ... eview.html

I'm looking forwards to going out for a quickie on the weekend, with my L plates on
We can learn a lot from crayons. They come in different shapes and colours, but they all have to live in the same box
Onestepmore
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: New South Wales

Re: Confused about GPS? Not any more...well, sort of

Postby Ent » Tue 08 Jan, 2013 8:55 am

Welcome to the electronic world of navigation. Brilliant devices if used correctly. But can have a steep learning curve at times.

Cheers
"lt only took six years. From now on, l´ll write two letters a week instead of one."
(Shawshank Redemption)
Ent
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Tasmania

Postby Onestepmore » Tue 08 Jan, 2013 9:10 am

I was just reading your reports on the Garmin Fenix with a cup of coffee. A friend I play a computer game each night with has a jetski, and he was asking me about the Magellan GPS system I bought, as he wants to get a unit for his longer ski trips. Some of his friends use Garmin 62s. So last night on Skype we were going through some of the models etc, and I decided I needed to know a lot more, and then stumbled across the above 'beginner' sites.
I have a long way to go....
Your reviews are very good :)

Edit
PS I bought my unit through Johhny Appleseed in North Sydney, online after a phone call. They will price match, next day delivery, and give after sales support, tuition.
When I buy (my husband) a PLB it'll be through them
Last edited by Onestepmore on Mon 14 Jan, 2013 9:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
We can learn a lot from crayons. They come in different shapes and colours, but they all have to live in the same box
Onestepmore
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby cookie-monster » Mon 14 Jan, 2013 2:03 pm

im looking at getting a hand held gps soon for the first time
the ease of use of the Magellan seems to be winning for me
was thinking the 610 or the 710 cause of the built in state by state topo maps

would you recommend it? is it as easy to use as its reputation?
have you tried adding a gps track you downloaded and did it accurately guide you?

( is it even possible to add a gpx file to a Magellan? hope so)
cookie-monster
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: Queensland

Postby ULWalkingPhil » Mon 14 Jan, 2013 2:14 pm

Consider the Twonav Sportiva GPS, its a great GPS, much better than any Garmin. You can use digital maps and create your own digital maps from your own paper maps, its lighter.

For a great price, purchase from www.compegps.com, take off %20 of the price you see as we dont pay VAT, got one ordered for a mate, $350.00 delivered. Here in Australia they want $500.00 + delivery. The new updated Sportiva 2 has just been released and is available now from the website listed.
ULWalkingPhil
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Queensland

Postby colinm » Tue 15 Jan, 2013 2:22 pm

I've got and carry a garmin eTrex30. My primary considerations were battery life (20h+) lightness and robustness. Nice-to-haves were mapping and altimeter. I previously had an eTrex Vista Cx. I've never had any problems with them, and would recommend them. It is possible (though not easy) to generate custom maps using only open source software, which was also important to me.
sig pending approval
colinm
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Return to Techno-Babble