GPS use

For all high tech electronic equipment including GPS, PLB, chargers, phones, computers, software. Discussion of simple electrical devices such as torches, belongs in the main 'Equipment' forum.

Re: GPS use

Postby MJD » Thu 29 May, 2008 7:13 am

Correction. OzTopo v1 did cost money. It consisted of two map sets: Tracks4Australia Pro and contours. There was a basic version of Tracks4Australia that was free but had no contours. Sorry about that.
Carpe diem
MJD
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Tasmania

Postby kanangra » Fri 01 Aug, 2008 12:53 pm

I'm looking at buying a new GPS and have narrowed my choice down to the Vista HCx and the Map 60CSx. Apart from size, weight and battery life I'm struggling to tell the difference between the two in terms of what they do? Anybody able to help me there?
kanangra
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Pompom » Fri 01 Aug, 2008 5:56 pm

I would suggest that you visit this site as the forum is very good and the moderator? also runs a GPS shop that apparently gives good deals.
http://www.gpsaustralia.net/forums/index.php?

Bob Cooper
Pompom

Postby Joe » Fri 01 Aug, 2008 6:16 pm

Pompom wrote:I would suggest that you visit this site as the forum is very good and the moderator? also runs a GPS shop that apparently gives good deals.
http://www.gpsaustralia.net/forums/index.php?

Bob Cooper

+1

I'm a member over here too....great forum.
Joe
in vino veritas
in vino veritas

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Stoney Creek Outdoor Equipment.

Postby Robbo » Wed 12 Nov, 2008 5:16 pm

I just read this item on the ABC website: http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2008 ... 417911.htm

"GPS saves man bitten by snake
The 27-year-old man was camping alone near Tharwa, some distance from the nearest road.
He was able to direct a helicopter and an ambulance to his campsite using his portable GPS."

Seems like it may have helped this guy get help... although the mobile phone may have been even more important :|

Tony Robinson
"The place between your comfort zone and your dream is where your life takes place." Nick Vujicic.
Robbo
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Gilson College
Region: Victoria

Postby tasadam » Wed 12 Nov, 2008 6:14 pm

and the snake came out, chomped him on the leg and slithered off

Bugger that! Brown snakes - keep em outa here more than foxes!
I recall reading a bit in the leeches topic including a freaky story by "the camera poser" about being chased round the house by one.
Aggressive *&%$#!.

Wonder what phone he had, that gave him an hour and a half talk time....

On a similar note - it seems with technology ever-improving, I wonder how long it will be before we (land based activity) will no longer need GPS due to the increased technology in the oh so popular user-pays service of mobile phones.
tasadam
Magnus administratio
Magnus administratio

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: TasmaniART, Smitten Merino, Macpac

Previous

Return to Techno-Babble