GPS hire

For all high tech electronic equipment including GPS, PLB, chargers, phones, computers, software. Discussion of simple electrical devices such as torches, belongs in the main 'Equipment' forum.

GPS hire

Postby halls » Wed 17 Dec, 2008 8:43 pm

Hi guys,

I'm located in Devonport and am walking with a group in the South-West for a couple of weeks in early January.

Does anyone know anywhere where I would be able to hire a GPS for this period? We are going to require one for safety reasons as we are walking off-track for a few days.

Thanks in advance,

Dave
halls
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Region: Tasmania

Re: GPS hire

Postby walkinTas » Thu 18 Dec, 2008 12:04 am

If you want a really cheap option, you can still buy the older 121.5 MHz MT310 on ebay for around $35.00. These will be fine in January. The satellite won't be turned off until February. But maybe someone has one of these they will give you. :) Have you asked at Snowgum, I think they used to hire?

Edit: Oops! :oops:, I started that. At least Frank is awake.
Last edited by walkinTas on Thu 18 Dec, 2008 9:36 am, edited 2 times in total.
walkinTas
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby BarryJ » Thu 18 Dec, 2008 6:11 am

According to the Parks & Wildlife site, Service Tas have them for hire:

http://www.parks.tas.gov.au/index.aspx?base=6107

Oops, I was thinking EPIRB, not GPS. My apologies............................. :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:
Last edited by BarryJ on Thu 18 Dec, 2008 7:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
BarryJ
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby frank_in_oz » Thu 18 Dec, 2008 7:11 am

Hi Dave,
Happy to lend you my GPS (Garmin eTrex Legend Cx ) It is loaded with Shonky Maps and has the South Coast Track loaded (not sure if you are doing this)
Just have to mail it down from Geelong and get it back to me by early Feb as we are heading down to Tassie again for another walk.

PM me if you are interested.
Frank
- we blogged about it here a while ago- especially to demonstrate Shonky maps over Garmin base maps- http://frankinoz.blogspot.com/2007/10/g ... iking.html
Frank
Check out "Our Hiking Blog" Overland Track guide, Food to Go-recipe ideas and Trekking to Everest Base Camp.
frank_in_oz
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby halls » Thu 18 Dec, 2008 5:25 pm

Thanks for the advice.

I've already hired an EPIRB from Service Tas, they are pretty resonable value at $40/week, but I suppose it will be better value to buy one myself sometime!
halls
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby frank_in_oz » Wed 24 Dec, 2008 6:45 am

My GPS is now in the hands of these young blokes. Their trip sounds awesome. Maybe Halls will have a chance to post about it here (if they ever get out of the bush!)

Thanks to Henry (and Halls etc) for the kind donations of a slab of Crownies to the frank_in_oz Christmas beer stash. :D :D Much appreciated (and definitely unnecessary)

As my wife says, if they lose it we can always buy a new one with a bigger screen and a better antenna........ Gotta love that girl, a GPS convert since an "unfortunate" incident on the South Coast Track 4 years ago.
Frank
Check out "Our Hiking Blog" Overland Track guide, Food to Go-recipe ideas and Trekking to Everest Base Camp.
frank_in_oz
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby halls » Wed 24 Dec, 2008 9:35 am

Haha cheers Frank.

I think it's in all our best interests to avoid any 'unfortunate incidents' and get it back to your in one piece!

Will post and let you know how the trip goes :D

Thanks
halls
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby frank_in_oz » Wed 21 Jan, 2009 8:25 pm

GPS is back in my hot little hands. Unfortunately I missed catching up with the young bloke who dropped it off.

Following a quick phone conversation I understand the GPS was quite handy a couple of times.

Hey Halls, how about a bit of a trip report or are you still recovering???
Frank
frank_in_oz
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Return to Techno-Babble