Emergency Help Devices - EPIRB/PLB, Sat Phone, SPOT, etc [sp

For all high tech electronic equipment including GPS, PLB, chargers, phones, computers, software. Discussion of simple electrical devices such as torches, belongs in the main 'Equipment' forum.

Re: Emergency Help Devices - EPIRB/PLB, Sat Phone, SPOT, etc

Postby flatfoot » Tue 10 Jul, 2012 8:23 pm

LandSailor wrote:Flatfoot...dont forget to consider something like the Delorme Inreach.
It needs a bluetooth smartphone for messaging but for basic remote communication (including emergency beacon) its pretty cost-effective.
It uses the Iridium sat network so has good coverage.

Thanks. I was aware of that unit but thought it was using the GlobalStar network. Does anyone know how well the two networks and the devices perform / compare?
Flat-footed Mainlander
flatfoot
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Region: New South Wales

Postby flatfoot » Sun 15 Jul, 2012 6:06 pm

There a couple of good videos comparing the different types of devices. Note that these are marketing videos so they are not exactly an independent review. Nevertheless informative!

(the videos are 3 years old so not a completely up to date overview of the available technology)

Why a PLB?

Part 1:

Part 2:
Flat-footed Mainlander
flatfoot

Postby flatfoot » Wed 18 Jul, 2012 8:12 pm

I received the ACR ResQLink PLB. It's a compact package that boasts a 66 channel GPS and a strobe light. For the model I selected, floatation is achieved via the attached pouch, which I also figured would protect the device in my pack. An alternate version can be ordered that has built-in floatation, however this is not supplied with a pouch.

plb.JPG
ACR ResQLink PLB

Full specification - ACR ResQLink PLB-375.

Model Number PLB-375
Size 1.3 x 1.9 x 3.9” (3.3 x 4.8 x 9.9 cm)
Weight 4.6 oz (130 g)
Battery, Class Class 2 (non-hazmat) lithium batteries
Battery, Replacement Interval Replacement due six (6) years from date of manufacture or five (5) years after beacon is placed into service, whichever is first, or after emergency use
Battery, Operational Life Exceeds required 24 Hours @ -4°F (-20°C)
Battery, Storage -40°F to + 158°F (-40°C to +70°C)
Material Engineered polycarbonate blend
Color ACR-treuse™ (high visibility yellow)
Activation Manual
Operation 2 steps: deploy antenna, press ON button, giving clear view of sky
Waterproof 16.40 ft (5 m) @ 1 hr., 33 ft (10 m) @ 10 min. Factory tested @ 70°F, exceeds RTCM waterproof requirements
Accessories Optional Flotation Pouch P/N 9521
Approvals Cospas-Sarsat, FCC, Canada, R&TTE, Australia, New Zealand.
Limited Warranty 5 years
Lead Free Yes
406Link.com 60 self tests/12 GPS tests
Battery, Typical Performance 30 Hours @-4°F (-20°C)
Radiated Power 5W (406 MHz), 50 mW +/-3dB (121.5 MHz)

The unfurled antenna measures approximately 25cm. In the stowed position it guards the activation and test buttons.

plb-unfurled.JPG
ACR ResQLink PLB with antenna unfurled

The ResQLink is comparable in size to my Spot 2. The ResQLink in pouch weighs 166grams. The Spot 2 in pouch weighs 138grams. I will carry both devices.

The ResQLink was bundled with the FireFly 3 strobe light. It runs off two AA lithium batteries. It weighs 77 grams (minus batteries). It is recommended that dated lithium batteries are used.

sizematters.JPG
ACR ResQLink size compared with an iPhone 4, Spot 2 Messenger and the Firefly 3 strobe
sizematters.JPG (83.92 KiB) Viewed 26806 times
Flat-footed Mainlander
flatfoot

Postby Greenie » Wed 18 Jul, 2012 8:22 pm

You wouldn't happen to pick that up from the Adventure Safety Store?.. They provided good service when I got mine recently, a great price too.

I hope it is the biggest waste of money I ever spend
Greenie
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby flatfoot » Wed 18 Jul, 2012 8:45 pm

Greenie wrote:You wouldn't happen to pick that up from the Adventure Safety Store?.. They provided good service when I got mine recently, a great price too.

I hope it is the biggest waste of money I ever spend

I used samthesafetyman (no affiliation) on eBay. For anyone reading make sure it is coded for Australia.

I had to set off my Spot recently for an injured person I encountered whilst on a walk. It took 19 minutes for the spot to acquire the GPS and get its signal out. Since I was at the bottom of high cliffs it wasn't an ideal location for getting a good signal from the GPS and then getting the SOS out. It was this experience and further research that led to my decision to also purchase a PLB.

I like the ResQLink given it's got a respectable antenna and a 66 channel GPS receiver.
Flat-footed Mainlander
flatfoot

Postby ninjapuppet » Sun 22 Jul, 2012 8:42 pm

Yeh i would believe these ACR resqlinks are the smallest on the market at present. can you tell us abit more about the activation of your SPOT?

- did they call your emergency contacts to notify them?
- how long did it take for a chopper to come?
- do you know how long the spot2 can stay activated for
ninjapuppet
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: New Zealand

Postby flatfoot » Mon 23 Jul, 2012 7:26 pm

ninjapuppet wrote:Yeh i would believe these ACR resqlinks are the smallest on the market at present. can you tell us abit more about the activation of your SPOT?

- did they call your emergency contacts to notify them?
- how long did it take for a chopper to come?
- do you know how long the spot2 can stay activated for

From my earlier post (as background to the information that follows):

flatfoot wrote:The spot messager logs show that initial 'SOS' message took about 20 minutes. Admittedly, it wasn't in an ideal location (small forest clearing at the base of a 100-200m cliff face). Reasoning for this is my failed call to 000 (poor phone coverage) was at 10:51am. I activated the Spot immediately afterwards. First 'SOS' record in the spot website shows as 11:12am (say 20 minutes allowing for time to switch devices).

The US-based emergency organisation left me a voicemail at 11:17am. My first emergency contact was not home and had a voice message at 11:22am. Second emergency contact was contacted at 11:21am. So that is 9 minutes after the first SOS was received.

It was actually the 000 call of another bushwalker soon after my 000 attempt that led to the rescue operation commencing (due to the Spot taking 20 minutes to get it's SOS out). I activated the beacon just before this second walker attempted his call. It was this delay in the SOS registering that led me to get myself a PLB. I think the delay was caused by signal reflections and the tree canopy at the bottom of a 100-200m cliff.

Police Rescue arrived on foot about 60 - 80 minutes after the rescue was initiated, noting that it would have taken them about 20-25 minutes to walk down from the top of the cliffs. The chopper arrived soon after.

The Spot 2 would probably be able to stay activated for in excess of 36-48 hrs I believe. This is based on my experience with using 'track progress' on the Overland Track. This attempts to send at 10 minute intervals whilst the unit is running. The SOS mode may try to send messages more frequently. On the AAA energizer lithium batteries I use, I typically get in excess of 7 days usage - with an average of 6-8 hours usage per day. I always carry a fresh set of spare batteries. You can get them for a reasonable price on eBay.
Flat-footed Mainlander
flatfoot

Postby Gusto » Thu 26 Jul, 2012 10:30 am

With all Sat devices the device will lock onto Satellites faster if the device has been used recently in a similar location. If you were really wanting to speed the process up then you would send an "OK" type message at the beginning of your trip. In the example mentioned above it sounds as though the physical surrounds is more likely to have been the cause.
Gusto
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Victoria

Postby photohiker » Thu 26 Jul, 2012 11:19 am

Yes, it does help to use any GPS device before it's an urgent requirement. When you first turn them on, the GPS downoads the latest ephemeris data consisting of health and exact satellite location data - it cannot give a location without this information.

I think this is possibly one of the reasons behind some of the slow response and failure complaints for the spot. I rarely have these issues and the spot is turned on and tracking every walk day. As you say, geographical location can still impact the performance though.
Michael
photohiker
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby flatfoot » Thu 26 Jul, 2012 1:20 pm

photohiker wrote:Yes, it does help to use any GPS device before it's an urgent requirement. When you first turn them on, the GPS downoads the latest ephemeris data consisting of health and exact satellite location data - it cannot give a location without this information.

I think this is possibly one of the reasons behind some of the slow response and failure complaints for the spot. I rarely have these issues and the spot is turned on and tracking every walk day. As you say, geographical location can still impact the performance though.

This was the case in my situation. I had been running "track progress" all day. For the first part of the walk I was under varying levels of tree canopy and the track messages were getting through. After a break I had been walking through dense rainforest for about 90 minutes. I had just stepped out from under the canopy into a small clearing and that is where I needed to activate the SOS (to assist an injured person I encountered near the track). The high cliffs didn't help.
Flat-footed Mainlander
flatfoot

Postby adzza » Sat 28 Jul, 2012 9:59 pm

Been thinking about buying a plb for ages. Thanks to this thread and review i just bought the same unit. Cheers

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2
adzza
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby Gusto » Mon 30 Jul, 2012 9:18 am

A technique rarely spoken of is to use a space blanket to improve reception. Place the blanket on the ground, shiny side up and put the device in the middle of a space/emergency blanket.

Page 1 of this document http://www.bushwalking.org.au/dbc/DBC_EPIRB_HANDOUT.pdf

Also mentioned here: http://bushwalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=3911

I've never ever tried doing this, If anyone knows more about this technique then share your knowledge.
Gusto
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby photohiker » Wed 08 Aug, 2012 11:32 am

I think it's looking like a good time to upgrade from Spot2 to Delorme InReach. The device has been out for a while and these are many good reports, and it is now compatible with both Android and iPhone smartphones.

Review from a solo photographer perspective:
http://scolephoto.blogspot.com.au/2012/ ... eview.html

Updated review detailing improvements made since release, including battery life increase from 60 to 120 hours!:
http://www.wildsnow.com/7796/inreach-de ... iew-reach/

Good discussion here from a sailing perspective:
http://www.panbo.com/archives/2012/05/d ... _ipad.html

Price of plans is the only sticking point, but at $25 per month, it has everything I need - unlimited tracking and 40 messages per month. That's about double Spot Connect subscription costs. The seasonal activation is not good value unless your use is limited to 4 months, beyond that it gets too close to the price of a yearly subscription to make it worthwhile.

An Australian distributor has been announced (Pivotel) but they don't expect stock until the end of the year. Hopefully, they will control the urge to double the price for Australian purchasers. In the meantime, I'm looking for somewhere reliable to ship one from the US (Amazon is cheap $219, but won't ship to Australia) Has anyone here bought one, and from where?
Michael
photohiker
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby weeman » Wed 08 Aug, 2012 12:56 pm

Pretty sure you can buy directly from Delorme.

Last time I checked with Delorme, tracking features were not available outside of the USA. Does anyone know if this has changed?
weeman
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Region: Australian Capital Territory

Postby photohiker » Wed 08 Aug, 2012 4:49 pm

weeman wrote:Pretty sure you can buy directly from Delorme.

Last time I checked with Delorme, tracking features were not available outside of the USA. Does anyone know if this has changed?

Yes, you can buy directly from Delorme. They ship UPS and don't quote freight cost before you have to give them your credit card details. I'm waiting for a response regarding freight before I do that. I've also contacted other retailers to see if they ship to Australia.

I think tracking features are actually available outside of USA. There are plenty of Americans who would want to take their device overseas. For instance: http://blog.delorme.com/2012/05/07/inre ... base-camp/

Michael
photohiker
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby flatfoot » Wed 08 Aug, 2012 8:08 pm

photohiker wrote:I think it's looking like a good time to upgrade from Spot2 to Delorme InReach. The device has been out for a while and these are many good reports, and it is now compatible with both Android and iPhone smartphones.

(snip)

Price of plans is the only sticking point, but at $25 per month, it has everything I need - unlimited tracking and 40 messages per month. That's about double Spot Connect subscription costs. The seasonal activation is not good value unless your use is limited to 4 months, beyond that it gets too close to the price of a yearly subscription to make it worthwhile.

An Australian distributor has been announced (Pivotel) but they don't expect stock until the end of the year. Hopefully, they will control the urge to double the price for Australian purchasers. In the meantime, I'm looking for somewhere reliable to ship one from the US (Amazon is cheap $219, but won't ship to Australia) Has anyone here bought one, and from where?

Looks interesting. Now that I've got a PLB, I've been thinking of replacing my Spot 2 with something that has a bit more flexibility for non-emergency communication. I'm a gadget-freak anyway :mrgreen:

The expedition plan @ $49.95 USD / month looks good for longer trips. I think I would use the recreation plan mostly, although it is a bit pricey compared to the Spot 2.

I'll be interested to see how you go with purchasing and activating. I'm glad there are early-adopters I can learn from :wink:
Flat-footed Mainlander
flatfoot

Postby ninjapuppet » Sat 18 Aug, 2012 8:39 pm

There is a new satellite phone out now with SOS function.

..... if you have a spare $1595 lying around:
http://www.satellitephonesales.com.au/products/Satellite-Phone/Iridium-9575-Extreme-Satellite-Phone

ninjapuppet
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: New Zealand

Postby Gusto » Sun 19 Aug, 2012 8:11 am

I've used some of those new Sat Phones. There is a recall out for any that were purchased earlier this year. They'll be swapped over for new ones.

I'm wanting a Delorne In Reach, but I am waiting for Pivotel to sell them.
Gusto
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby photohiker » Mon 27 Aug, 2012 2:06 am

photohiker wrote:Yes, you can buy directly from Delorme. They ship UPS and don't quote freight cost before you have to give them your credit card details. I'm waiting for a response regarding freight before I do that.

Yea, well...

They never answered. Not a good look, is it? :evil:

So, anyway, I tracked down a retailer who answers emails and ships overseas. Freight not cheap, but at least they tell you by email when you ask them... The whole kit came to about $310 with Fedex delivery, should be here later this week. Untraceable US Post was only a $10 saving. Seller is West Marine
Michael
photohiker
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby weeman » Mon 27 Aug, 2012 7:56 am

Very keen to hear your impressions once you receive the unit, especially how the tracking function works compared with SPOT.

My SPOT service is due for renewal in Dec & am seriously looking to replace it with the InReach.
weeman
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Region: Australian Capital Territory

Postby photohiker » Wed 29 Aug, 2012 3:12 pm

Arrived, a day before promised delivery date.

Weight runs 233g with a pair of lithium AA's. Spot2 is 140g with batteries.

It's chunkier than the Spot - mostly it's thicker. If you have used a Spot, you know the buttons are rubbery, bit hard to tell if you pressed them as there is no touch click feedback. The Inreach has that click feedback and the buttons are soft touch but not rubbery.

Lets see if we can get it registered...
Michael
photohiker
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby LandSailor » Wed 29 Aug, 2012 7:23 pm

I think a significant difference between the Delorme Inreach and the Spot Connect is the pricing structure. For the minimum monthly service cost you either get tracking on the Spot or 2-way messaging on the Delorme.
The minimum plan for Delorme Inreach doesnt include tracking and you have to pay extra for that. Any individual msg you send on your Delorme will always contain your lat/long though.
Also Delorme seems to charge on a monthly billing cycle whereas Spot allows you to pay for a years service upfront.
I got my Delorme at REI.com. They deliver to Australia. So far no complaints and works as expected I havent really used it much.

Here's a comparison chart of the various satellite messengers on the market.

http://hikingtech.com/satellite-messenger-comparison/

The most interesting device is the Pieps Global Finder. This is basically the future of this kind of tech.
Its an all-in-one handheld device that has full GPS functionality (map display plus waypoints, routes etc) and also includes 2-way Iridium satellite messaging in the one unit.

http://www.pieps.com/en/pieps-globalfinder

LandSailor
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby photohiker » Wed 29 Aug, 2012 10:53 pm

LandSailor, yes the pricing structure is significantly different. The InReach subscription is effectively double the cost of Spot with Tracking.

I don't know what will happen when the InReach becomes locally available and locally supported, but I suspect the pricing will shoot up. For instance, the US 'Recreation' plan for $24.95/month included unlimited tracking and 40 text messages a month. In Canada, you're up for $29.95 and the unlimited tracking has gone, you can choose between (25 tracks and 100 texts) or (250 tracks and 10 texts) per month. Have to wonder what will happen when the Aussies get hold of the pricing structure.

The Pieps is certainly an interesting gadget, but not sure about it - is the battery replaceable? It's also $25/mo with 100 tracking points. At least an extra points are just 5c each... The Briartek Cerebus looks more useful but may also be battery limited.

Oh, and in case anyone is interested, activation/registration of the InReach was straightforward and easy, as was pairing with the iPhone. There is an activation fee of $19.95 that you don't see until you are committed ($30 in Canada)

I've ordered a RAM mount for it so it can also be mounted in the Outback Rock Muncher.
Michael
photohiker
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby ggorgeman » Thu 30 Aug, 2012 9:33 am

Hi All.......I'll admit that I haven't read through the entire 7 pages of posts :oops: but if there's someone out there who's been following this thread closely or generally in the know, could you tell me if there's a unit that combines PLB (for emergency) and GPS (for general mapping and navigation) in one reasonably compact unit??

Cheers :P
ggorgeman
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby photohiker » Thu 30 Aug, 2012 11:50 am

Tested the Inreach tracking this morning. Works a treat.

ggorgeman wrote:tell me if there's a unit that combines PLB (for emergency) and GPS (for general mapping and navigation) in one reasonably compact unit??

Not that I know of. The Pieps suggested by LandSailor is the closest I have seen, gives GPS location, baro and compass readout but it doesn't do mapping. The Inreach + smartphone does both, but the mapping is pretty basic, unusable for serious navigation and you are then stuck with smartphone battery life and fragility.

Might be better to have two devices. No good running down your PLB batteries messing with navigation.
Michael
photohiker
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Dale » Thu 06 Sep, 2012 1:45 pm

Looks like a SPOT rescue on the Bibbulmun Track:

Yahoo article
Dale
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Grabeach » Fri 28 Sep, 2012 9:09 pm

Recently bought a Fast Find 211 PLB. Taking it bush tomorrow, so I thought I'd better 'Test' it tonight. It doesn't work. A few observations / questions:
1. I should have tested it before I left the shop.
2. Anyone know how common it is for these things:-
a. To fail 'Test' when new?
b. To pass when new, but fail 'Test' some time later?
c. To pass 'Test', then fail to work when needed?
d. To work when needed, but then nothing happens? (c and d assume you've lived to tell the tale!)
3. Hopefully these things are not just another $$$ gadget that sounds great in theory but ends up being left in the cupboard because it doesn't work in practice.
Grabeach
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby adventures » Mon 08 Oct, 2012 8:48 am

These items are treated as safety equipment and undergo serious in factory testing before release. It is very unlikely that they will fail when you need it ... assuming that it is within the battery use by date.

I always carry one, have used it when I needed it, and it was a key reason for me still being here to write this reply :)

We ship out PLBs from our store - straight from the manufacturer - we recommend testing as a method of ensuring you know how to use the device in an emergency ... not really to check that it works.
adventures
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Adventure Safety

Postby Rob A » Mon 08 Oct, 2012 1:05 pm

Grabeach wrote:Recently bought a Fast Find 211 PLB. Taking it bush tomorrow, so I thought I'd better 'Test' it tonight. It doesn't work.

I would be very surprised, and straight up I dont believe you. Having an epirb fail out of the box is something that would bring the house down. What did McMurdo say? I think an awful lot of people would be interested if you were right and it was shot.

I refuse to take Epirbs out of the shop if the packaging seal is broken, and I also do not test them or mess with them in any way.
Every four seconds, somewhere in the world, an Harlequin Mills and Boon is sold ... Wot ...
Rob A

Postby Grabeach » Tue 09 Oct, 2012 8:29 am

adventures
Thanks for your reply. Yes, one would hope so. Mind you I worked in the aircraft industry and things were not always what the flying public believed. You would be surprised how many planes do crash land!
Testing is simply pushing the 'Test' button to check serviceability, I don’t think it would help you learning to use it in an emergency situation. The instructions tell you not to do a ‘trial run’.

Rob A
Quote: “ and straight up I don’t believe you. “
Hopefully you did not mean for this to come out the way it did. I believe that almost everyone here treats all posts in good faith. Fortunately there are probably enough very, very experienced bushwalkers around who know I don’t need to exaggerate, let alone tell porkies. Equally fortunate, the outlet I bought it from believe me, having pushed the ‘Test’ button themselves!
I will hear the outlet’s response first, before I decide whether to approach McMurdo.
As the instruction do tell you to push the ‘Test’ button, I feel you are taking a risk in choosing not to do so. Hopefully this will never come back to bite you.
Grabeach
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

PreviousNext

Return to Techno-Babble