Emergency Help Devices - EPIRB/PLB, Sat Phone, SPOT, etc [sp

For all high tech electronic equipment including GPS, PLB, chargers, phones, computers, software. Discussion of simple electrical devices such as torches, belongs in the main 'Equipment' forum.

Re: Emergency Help Devices - EPIRB/PLB, Sat Phone, SPOT, etc

Postby Rob A » Tue 09 Oct, 2012 11:03 am

Hi. What I meant was I dont believe there is any way a defective unit can come out of McMurdo.
If a defective unit has come out of McMurdo then, yes it is a huge deal.
If you think it is defective, then the first people you should be contacting is McMurdo.
And I dont mean you should keep quiet about it. McMurdo distribute more than just 211s.
An awful lot of people would be interested if you were right and it was shot.
Every four seconds, somewhere in the world, an Harlequin Mills and Boon is sold ... Wot ...
Rob A
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Region: New South Wales

Postby Grabeach » Tue 09 Oct, 2012 8:37 pm

Fair enough; my faith is restored!
Will let you know what happens.
Grabeach
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Grabeach » Sat 20 Oct, 2012 8:26 pm

Report back. The shop phoned up yesterday and said the PLB had come back. They said the manufacturer had tested it a number of times and it was okay. After I arrived this morning, a guy at the shop (not the one I had seen before) unboxed it and pushed the 'Test' button. Nothing! Reading the warranty response notes indicated that the button had to be pushed till it 'clicked'. He then bit the bullet and pushed it really hard till it clicked. It then flashed as it was supposed to.

So what have I learnt?
1. It is serviceable.
2. Those who said it would be amazing if it didn't work were correct.
3. All three of us (two shop guys and myself) didn't push the button hard enough.
4. The instructions with the unit as bought do not mention anything about pushing the button till it clicks. This is only mentioned in the warranty response notes.
5. Personally, I think the force required to reach the 'click' point was excessive. In my automotive and aircraft experience such a force requirement would often indicate a failing switch.
6. I don't see a need for the button to be like this. After all it is only for testing.

3 and 4 indicate a need to modify the instructions. 5 and 6 are obviously my opinions; make of them what you will.
Grabeach
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Lazy » Wed 14 Nov, 2012 10:27 pm

Thanks to everyone who posted in this thread, I'm planning some solo walks so I decided to get a PLB (ACR ResQLink) for emergencies and a SPOT Messenger 2 so my friends/relatives can see where I am using the tracking.

I got the PLB from a local shop for $399 with a Firefly3, first aid kit, whistle and mirror. I got the SPOT from ebay for $124 delivered and used a pro code I found online to get the tracking for free.

If I end up using them I'll be sure to post back.
Lazy
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby Gusto » Thu 15 Nov, 2012 8:59 am

It would seem that Delorme In Reach is finally being sold locally. I've been waiting for this. Great timing for me as my honey moon next March will be walking NZ

http://www.alwaysinreach.com.au/

The rates are a bit different now http://www.alwaysinreach.com.au/index.php/product-info/11-service/15-rates

The device is about $360, so I guess that about $100 more than SPOT
Gusto
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Victoria

Postby weeman » Thu 15 Nov, 2012 9:16 am

Those Australian inreach plans are rubbish compared with the US plans.

Our recreation plan is more expensive, has half the message allowance and limited tracking. These features would use exactly the same infrastructure as the US plans.

I wonder if they will still allow us to use the US plans, probably not now.
weeman
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Region: Australian Capital Territory

Postby photohiker » Thu 15 Nov, 2012 9:30 am

Gusto wrote:It would seem that Delorme In Reach is finally being sold locally. I've been waiting for this. Great timing for me as my honey moon next March will be walking NZ

http://www.alwaysinreach.com.au/

The rates are a bit different now http://www.alwaysinreach.com.au/index.php/product-info/11-service/15-rates

By Comparison, mine is on the US Recreation plan $24.95 unlimited tracking. The Aussie Recreation plan is $32.95 with 300 tracking points included. 300 should be enough for most walks of a week or two, but extended walks of say 8 hours per day for 2 weeks will land up with an extra bill of about $55. It's still better than plans I saw earlier in Aus that had no included tracking, looks like common sense has prevailed. Price of the unit from a US retailer was $313 including freight.

I have used it a few times, most recently for a week in Tasmania. Works really well and the 2-way comms are very good and have been useful. Knowing that a message got out is great.
Michael
photohiker
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Nuts » Thu 15 Nov, 2012 9:20 pm

Lazy wrote: I got the SPOT from ebay for $124 delivered and used a pro code I found online to get the tracking for free

That's interesting Lazy, do you have a link for that?
Nuts
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Tasmania

Postby Lazy » Sat 17 Nov, 2012 11:33 pm

Nuts wrote:
Lazy wrote: I got the SPOT from ebay for $124 delivered and used a pro code I found online to get the tracking for free

That's interesting Lazy, do you have a link for that?

SPOT - US $84.95 and US $32.95 for delivery
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll ... 0587680398

Code
For SPOT Connect use code: ARTRACKCON
For SPOT Messenger use code: ARTRACKSPOT

http://www.arpathfinder.com/showthread. ... (-50-Value)
Lazy
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby Mountain Rocket » Thu 06 Dec, 2012 9:27 am

So if I were to buy an 'Australian' ACR ResQLink, would it still work in NZ?
From what I can gather it just might take a tiny bit longer as they have to relay from Aus to NZ but I just want to confirm.
Mountain Rocket

Postby Onestepmore » Fri 07 Dec, 2012 7:39 pm

Wow - this is complicated. I just sped read the last 8 pages or so. Now I am sure I have completely the wrong things.

Hubby wants to do more solo walking - I am a worry wart. I'd really like to have a little 'I'm OK' message from him so I know he's not down the bottom of a ravine with a broken leg
I just purchased a SPOT device (for $189, now I see I could have obtained one much cheaper, but I have also seen them for 300+ and something from hiking.com, so I could have done worse). NB wild earth have 10% discount atm. Mine arrived the day after I ordered it.
I have also bought hubby (well, 'us' I guess) a Magellan eXplorist 710 for Xmas (so not used yet either) Will need to test drive on our Tassie trip over Xmas
My iphone 4S GPS apps as backup. Hubby wouldn't be caught dead with i-anything, dunno what he has on his Samsung Galaxy - probabaly nothing, as he has me to do his worrying for him?

I have a solar powermonkey adventure charger, an isound 1600w battery, and a small USB battery charger, so I have plenty of backup power options from which to choose. The USB chargers can also power our Steripen Freedom UV filter when it needs recharging. I don't have the additional dedicated solar charger as I have these other options already
(Sawyersystem bag as a backup or mechanical pre-filter).
I did find a small light clip on solar battery charger, but it takes approx 24 hours to charge 2 AA or AAA batteries, so not very practical

I guess just hire a PBL when the need comes? We did this when we went walking around Arthur's Pass in South Is NZ last year.
We can learn a lot from crayons. They come in different shapes and colours, but they all have to live in the same box
Onestepmore
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby kyle » Wed 26 Dec, 2012 2:46 pm

Scored myself a Spot Connect off Ebay for $80 shipped from the US. Sweet little piece of kit, takes a bit to set up but has some nice features. I used the code posted above to receive the free tracking which worked perfect. Feels nice to have it in the top of my pack, just incase. Thanks for the code whoever posted that.
kyle
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: Queensland

Postby wayno » Wed 26 Dec, 2012 3:10 pm

Robert H wrote:So if I were to buy an 'Australian' ACR ResQLink, would it still work in NZ?
From what I can gather it just might take a tiny bit longer as they have to relay from Aus to NZ but I just want to confirm.

yes it will work anywhere in the world, just a delay as the authorities in aus contact the authorities in nz to get them onto any search and rescue... i recall someone on here saying they had that scenario and there wasnt a great delay getting rescued in nz... basically its best to buy a PLB in the country you do the most of your outdoor activities in. but they will work all over the world, the delay will vary according to where you are, nz being a lot smaller than aus you're not up for massive wait times for search and rescue to get to you. heaven knows there is a big delay for people who don't take locator beacons and they are hidden in the bush....
from the land of the long white clouds...
wayno
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: New Zealand

Postby roysta » Sun 30 Dec, 2012 9:54 am

Is there anyone in here with specific knowledge of both Spot and the Delorme In Reach to tell me which would be better?
I know every person has different dimensions to their activities, but, in an overall sense, features-wise, I get the feeling that In Reach might be a little more up the scale.
Happy to hear views, because I have a good deal of activity coming up in the next 12-24 months.
roysta

Postby roysta » Sun 30 Dec, 2012 10:10 am

Actually, further to these devices, are there any ïssues" if you buy them from the USA ?
roysta

Postby Ent » Sun 30 Dec, 2012 10:59 am

Re the Spot you could pm sthughes as he has one. From memory as the Spot is USA subscription based it does not matter where you buy them from. As often mentioned with PLB best brought from the country where it is likely to be used as you can only register Australian keyed ones in Australia.

The Spot needs a Bluetooth device to compose and send the non emergency messages so you need to carry say a phone.

Cheers
"lt only took six years. From now on, l´ll write two letters a week instead of one."
(Shawshank Redemption)
Ent
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby roysta » Sun 30 Dec, 2012 11:44 am

Actually a bit more research got me hitting the purchase button on the DeLorme® inReach Two-Way Satellite Communicator for Smartphones.
It's somewhat heavier than the Spot 2, but I think outdoes it in all departments.
roysta

Postby mrpotter » Mon 29 Jul, 2013 2:53 pm

Its a real shame VHF radio isn't open to anyone but VK license holders
mrpotter
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby wayno » Mon 29 Jul, 2013 5:16 pm

is there no open radio service like the mountain radio service in NZ?
wayno
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Strider » Mon 29 Jul, 2013 6:53 pm

mrpotter wrote:Its a real shame VHF radio isn't open to anyone but VK license holders

Do you mean HF?
Strider
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby andrewbish » Mon 29 Jul, 2013 7:32 pm

roysta wrote:Actually a bit more research got me hitting the purchase button on the DeLorme® inReach Two-Way Satellite Communicator for Smartphones.
It's somewhat heavier than the Spot 2, but I think outdoes it in all departments.

The DeLorme prob wins the feature war with SPOT2. However, my understanding is that it is dependent on the iPhone being operational. iPhones need extra special care in the wild, to keep therm charged, dry and safe from knocks. That seems a big ask to me, particularly with longer trips.

A
Twitter: @andrewbishxplor Blog: Trails & tracks
andrewbish

Postby photohiker » Mon 29 Jul, 2013 7:40 pm

andrewbish wrote:However, my understanding is that it is dependent on the iPhone being operational.

The InReach works in standard message mode without an iPhone.
Michael
photohiker
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby mrpotter » Tue 30 Jul, 2013 12:25 pm

Strider wrote:
mrpotter wrote:Its a real shame VHF radio isn't open to anyone but VK license holders

Do you mean HF?

Depends on the location. NT, SA - HF would be ideal. NSW - VHF is ideal.

HF isn't a great option though due to the size and weight of the radios. VHF handhelds are cheap, small and light.

Given the price of SPOT or Iridium handsets - getting an amateur radio license almost seems to be a competitor.
mrpotter
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby Gusto » Tue 30 Jul, 2013 2:00 pm

A Delorme Inreach works like a traditional Spot when it isn't pared with a smart phone. Same as a spot, before your trip you need to log in online and set a message and a contact number for the message to be sent to.

It only requires the smartphone if you wish to send a custom message and/or you wish to receive a reply to the message.
Gusto
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

new texting device

Postby wayno » Wed 31 Jul, 2013 4:44 am

wayno
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby GPSGuided » Wed 31 Jul, 2013 8:26 am

With the rubbish/offensive chatters that go on on CB repeaters, it's no surprise that licensing is needed for the other bands.
Just move it!
GPSGuided
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Re: new texting device

Postby GPSGuided » Wed 31 Jul, 2013 8:30 am

$30/mth for 100 messages and $5/mth when not used. Pretty serious running cost. Spot Connect and others seemed cheaper.
Just move it!
GPSGuided
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby mrpotter » Sun 27 Apr, 2014 4:27 pm

tasadam wrote:Secondly, I too was curious about what type of batteries were used in the SPOT.

Energizer brand Lithium AA batteries.

SPOT Connect also has a standard USB mini port which can power the unit - http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=746117
mrpotter
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby icefest » Sun 27 Apr, 2014 4:33 pm

Theoretically, they can be reactivated after being turned off. That being said, it's recommended you replace a PLBs batteries after use as they might not last for the 24h that they will when new.
Men wanted for hazardous journey. Low wages, bitter cold, long hours of complete darkness. Safe return doubtful.
icefest
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Strider » Sun 27 Apr, 2014 6:20 pm

icefest wrote:Theoretically, they can be reactivated after being turned off. That being said, it's recommended you replace a PLBs batteries after use as they might not last for the 24h that they will when new.
And a PLB should never be switched off following an activation - I.e. if you change your mind or if the situation improves.
Strider
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

PreviousNext

Return to Techno-Babble