Emergency Help Devices - EPIRB/PLB, Sat Phone, SPOT, etc [sp

For all high tech electronic equipment including GPS, PLB, chargers, phones, computers, software. Discussion of simple electrical devices such as torches, belongs in the main 'Equipment' forum.

Re: Emergency Help Devices - EPIRB/PLB, Sat Phone, SPOT, etc

Postby walkinTas » Thu 30 Apr, 2009 11:18 pm

Paul wrote:Within 12 minutes the registered contact person in Tasmania was alerted, from America, about the activation of the unit ( & giving long/lat references )

Can you give us a little more information please Paul. Who was contacted? How were they contacted? Were emergency services notified? By whom and how? How long did it take for help to arrive?
walkinTas
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Tasmania

Postby Paul » Fri 01 May, 2009 1:14 am

[quote][/quote] Can you give us a little more information please Paul. Who was contacted? How were they contacted? Were emergency services notified? By whom and how? How long did it take for help to arrive?

Without giving personal details, I can advise that the person to whom the SPOT was registered to, was contacted by the processes/procedures/channels of the SPOT company in America.

I will digress before answering your next question.

Upon being notified of the activation of his SPOT, his first reaction was " [url]the silly buggers have accidentally hit the 911 button "[/url] He then chose to view his SPOT web page ( google map ) and that indicated that the party had stopped travelling and had been stationery for a while. Because he was aware of thier intentions and expected destination on day 1, he became concerned after monitoring the webpage ( them being stationery) that they either did have an emergency in thier party, or, that they had come across another party with an emergency situation.

Yes, he notified emergency services ( Police ) of the situation by telephone and help ( helicopter) duly arrived and winched the injured person. He was conveyed to the Royal Hobart Hospital where he spent the night and left the next day with his leg in plaster.

The time for help to arrive was delayed somewhat ( but not excessively) due to the registered persons initial thoughts and then his actions of viewing the SPOT webpage before acting.

Hope this gives you a better picture of the incident.

Paul.
Paul
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby prickle » Fri 01 May, 2009 7:07 am

Thanks for that post Paul .. I have a SPOT and more than happy with it's performance. I was a little skeptical initially given it's less than favourable ratings on various sites. It's battery life is very good ..I only send an OK message once we have set up camp for the night or if we move significantly during the day (flyfishing) .. we use it to reassure family that we are OK

12mins response isn't too shabby :D ... although it would have been a tricky situation for the registered owner having to make the call that all was not well.

Stuart
prickle
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby walkinTas » Sat 02 May, 2009 2:01 pm

Paul wrote:Hope this gives you a better picture of the incident.

Thanks Paul. I like the Spot concept. I particularly like the dial-home-anytime nature of the Spot. It allows a walker to change their route as circumstances in the bush change. But, I am concerned that in and emergency there is no direct contact to Tasmanian Emergency Services. This has the potential to add a long delay to the time it takes for help to arrive.

Thanks for the info. Gives me more to ponder.
walkinTas
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby MJD » Thu 07 May, 2009 7:22 pm

Thanks Paul for telling us about SPOT being used in (1) the rescue on the track to Federation Peak and (2) the Cannibal Run.

I have been interested in getting one of these for a while but was dissuaded by some negative reviews and questions over the satelite system used. SPOT certainly seems to be a great idea with the ability to send an "OK" message or have one's position tracked on a web page being a huge advance over other options - unless of course you can afford a satelite phone.

Must admit that I'm back to thinking that I should get one of these :) .
Carpe diem
MJD
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby wanderer » Sat 09 May, 2009 1:24 pm

Hi there,
thought I'd add a bit about SPOT. As I am led to believe if
the American phone call cannot contact the owner/contact number
it is then passed on to AUSSAR who will then alert the police of that state.
I would imagine this would delay the response time by about 10 minutes tops.
Having had first hand use of the 911 button at Farmhouse Ck. and seeing how accurate
the chopper was in its approach to us in bad weather I'm certainly a fan of SPOT.
Cheers Jason... :D
wanderer
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby MJD » Tue 01 Sep, 2009 12:16 pm

There seems to be a new version of the SPOT TRACKER:

http://www.navigadget.com/index.php/200 ... rmessenger

Might be time to get one once it's available out here.
Carpe diem
MJD
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Ent » Tue 01 Sep, 2009 3:12 pm

Content removed by poster
Last edited by Ent on Sat 13 Nov, 2010 3:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"lt only took six years. From now on, l´ll write two letters a week instead of one."
(Shawshank Redemption)
Ent
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Ent » Fri 04 Sep, 2009 7:38 pm

Last edited by Ent on Sat 13 Nov, 2010 3:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"lt only took six years. From now on, l´ll write two letters a week instead of one."
(Shawshank Redemption)
Ent
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby walkinTas » Fri 04 Sep, 2009 11:18 pm

Brett wrote:Here is the latest on the KTI PLB that appears to be the leader of the pack once it moves into production some year behind the planned release date.
Leader of what pack? This is just a PLB. It is not equivalent to the spot and doesn't provide home based internet tracking of the remote walker. The limit of the PLB is that it is a single use device.

The promise of home based internet tracking is "freedom". Currently a solo walker leaves a plan and walks to a predesignated route in a predetermined time frame. Home based internet tracking allows the possibility of being able to change your walk while in the field, and thus react to the circumstances you meet along the way, without alarming others by missing a predetermine checkpoint. And the device still allows emergence signaling. The concept (not a comment about the equipment) is vastly superior to the emergence signal only approach. However PLBs currently have the superior emergency signal capability.
Last edited by walkinTas on Sat 05 Sep, 2009 8:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
walkinTas
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Ent » Sat 05 Sep, 2009 2:09 pm

Last edited by Ent on Fri 12 Nov, 2010 4:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
(Shawshank Redemption)
Ent
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby walkinTas » Sat 05 Sep, 2009 6:23 pm

Brett wrote:Wow, feel the love.
Orrr does someone need a hug! :twisted:

Brett wrote:As I have said the ultimate is a phone(sat 3G)/mapping GPS combination with great battery life and waterproof casing
Agree, but have been thinking about that and I think probably text messaging would be fine if it would save on the cost of the device and the ongoing communication cost. One just needs to be able to let those at home know one's plans have/haven't changed and all is well.

Brett wrote:Hence this [PLB] is the cheapest option that can bring help when the wheels fall off assuming you are around to trigger it and can survive until help arrives.
And there's the rub. If you have your PLB on you and are conscious, and can activate it - and the emergency service pick up the signal inside the 24 hr window. With "internet tracking" the person monitoring the system would be able to see the lack of progress and could try to contact you. Don't get me wrong, PLBs definitely work, but there are Pros and Cons for both approaches.

Brett wrote:When reading up on the SPOT about 18 months ago it was considered not good in getting a signal out. Sure as a tracker you can chose places with a good view of the sky but something tells me when you need help you might not be so fortunate to find such a spot.
You seem to be laboring under some misconceptions about satellites. As far as I know all GPS devices in Australia take their GPS reading from the US global positioning system which is a network of 24 to 30 orbiting satellites in six different orbital paths. Better GPS performance comes from the onboard chip not from a better satellite. PLBs all use the COSPAS-SARSAT system which uses 4 geosync satellites and 5 LEO satellites. GPS enabled PLBs get their position from the GPS network. One PLB does not have a satellite advantage over another. SPOT uses the GPS network too (for positioning), and the Globalstar LEO mobile satellite system which is comprised of 44 LEO satellites compared to the Iridium network which uses 66 LEO satellites.

I'd be very happy to be corrected if I am the one laboring under misconception. :wink: I'd love to read some details about why you believe one system is superior to another. :)

Brett wrote:KTI PLB that appears to be the leader of the pack once it moves into production
We'll have to wait and see how many of their claims make it to market, but any advantage is marginal.
Device Comparisons
_PLBs.png
Last edited by walkinTas on Sun 06 Sep, 2009 3:44 am, edited 2 times in total.
walkinTas
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby photohiker » Sat 05 Sep, 2009 8:03 pm

WalkInTas,

How are you getting '2 way comms' for the Spot? AFAIK it only sends, does not report success or display GPS fix?

A Spot with 2 way text message facility would be a pretty good option...
Michael
photohiker
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby walkinTas » Sat 05 Sep, 2009 8:10 pm

You are right photohiker. I got a little enthusiastic there. Yeah, would be nice wouldn't it.
walkinTas
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Ent » Sat 05 Sep, 2009 8:46 pm

Last edited by Ent on Fri 12 Nov, 2010 4:02 pm, edited 2 times in total.
(Shawshank Redemption)
Ent
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby BarryJ » Sat 05 Sep, 2009 8:56 pm

Brett wrote:.....................................
Basically ten years minimum battery life and better than 24 hours (suggested 48 hours at least on one GPS site) for one of the cheaper prices gives it the edge. Just thing three more years compared to a GME and extra hours of transmission. Not so important if fixed in a spot but drifting with the current the extra time could save your life. ...........................
Cheers Brett

The biggest advantage of the GME unit over the KTI unit is the fact that the GME unit is available NOW. I have had one for over two years; in another 5-6 years or so, I will replace it with whatever seems to me to be the best unit available at that time.

I feel it is more important to have something "in hand" rather than procrastinate over whether something better might be available in a few months.

Edit: If something SIGNIFICANTLY better becomes available at some future time (inside the 5-6 year time frame mentioned above), I would give serious consideration to upgrading.
BarryJ
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Ent » Sat 05 Sep, 2009 9:08 pm

Last edited by Ent on Fri 12 Nov, 2010 4:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
(Shawshank Redemption)
Ent
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby walkinTas » Sat 05 Sep, 2009 10:16 pm

Brett wrote:Basically satellite number and position is one of the key aspect of communication reliability and coverage. Tassie being low on the horizon means communication shadows happen with geostationary satellites which means north/south valleys not so bad as east/west valleys. The further south the longer the communication shadow caste by mountains and valleys. Also north/south shadows depend on where the satellite is (extreme east or west) so Tassie could be at the extreme edge thus getting dramatically reduce coverage compared to someone park immediately under the satellite.
OK! Now I know you're confused. Very quickly, there are three main types of satellites. Low Earth Orbit (LEO), Medium Earth Orbit (MEO) and Geosynchronous Earth Orbit (GEO). GEO sats must be equatorial and hence the problems you've mentioned. {There is also and elliptical (high) orbit called HEO that some tv sats use but that's another story.}

Of the three technologies (SPOT, GPS & PLB) only the PLB network (COSPAS-SARSAT) uses GEO satellites (4 GEOSARs & 5 LEOSARs). GPS are in MEO, with a mesh network that allows multiple satellites to be visible at most times from any spot on earth. See here - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:ConstellationGPS.gif. SPOT uses Globalstar in LEO - meaning the satellites pass close by Tasmania. Because of the way that LEO orbits work, sometimes a satellite will pass directly over Tasmania, and sometimes they will be varying degrees to the east or west with only partial footprint coverage. Travelling at 26,858 km/h with a footprint of 4500 km they don't take long to pass. As one goes the next one comes.

Brett wrote:Ok the best is the network with more satellites overhead for communications thus we have to surrender the geostationary positioning ones and that is where number of satellites and how they orbit becomes critical. ...However, the signal going up works better the more satellites...
Just because a network has more satellites does not mean they are all above Tasmania or all visible to Tasmania, and they are not all used simultaneously in one conversation. And more satellites in a constellation does not equate to a better cover over Tasmania. LEO satellites are spread all over the earth surface, and only one or two are visible at any given point in time - there needs to be some overlap. (e.g Globalstar and Iridium). You can see live tracking of the Iridium birds. Open all the links in separate tabs and you will see how many are close to Tasmania right now.

LEO sats are best for voice communication because they are closer to the earth and the communication is quicker. GEO sats introduce a minimum of 1/2 second latency into two-way communications (which is undesirable). If I extend the conversation to Sat phones, then the Thuraya constellaton is three GEO sats (only one visible to Tasmania) and as mentioned earlier the Iridium constellation is 66 sats in LEO.

Things get better in the future. Both Globalstar and Iridium have announced constellation upgrades. Globalstar recently secured $738 million to complete its upgrade by 2010 and SPOT is a big part of their future plans. Iridium plans to upgrade between 2014 and 2020 and this upgrade is said to include the worlds first ubiquitous 1 Mbps wireless network. A project called Distress Alerting Satellite System (DASS) by NASA aims to put search and rescue (SAR) processors aboard the GPS satellite constellation and the Galileo positioning system (GNSS) constellation used in Europe, so 406 MHz PLBs will eventually be in MEO too.
walkinTas
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Ent » Sun 06 Sep, 2009 1:50 pm

Last edited by Ent on Fri 12 Nov, 2010 4:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
(Shawshank Redemption)
Ent
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

MEOSAR

Postby walkinTas » Sun 06 Sep, 2009 9:36 pm

As mentioned in the above response to Brett, there is a project running to places SAR (search & rescue) on the GPS MEO satellites. So called MEOSAR offer a couple of nice advances. The reception of a PLB signal will be almost instantaneous from anywhere in the world, and there is the promise of a return signal to the beacon so that the user will get an acknowledgment that the emergence signal has been received by the network. You can read skim-thought the implementation plan (pdf) for more details. There is also talk of other improvements that might lead to cheaper beacons in the future.
walkinTas
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Re: MEOSAR

Postby Ent » Mon 07 Sep, 2009 9:41 am

Last edited by Ent on Fri 12 Nov, 2010 4:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
(Shawshank Redemption)
Ent
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby ILUVSWTAS » Tue 22 Sep, 2009 1:05 pm

After a recent period when I was 12 hrs overdue from a day walk I have been looking into a few things.
This is just my personal opinion but I contacted Telstra and was told Sat phones start at around $2000, on top of that you need to go on a plan starting around $30 per month. all that for something I'd hope to never have to use...
Didnt research the SPOT much but decided anything that I have to pay an ongoing cost for isnt for me.
Looked into PLB'S and found the GPS integrated model MT410G was probably the best option.
Anaconda sold them for $750, Peter Johnston Sells for $549.
So I now own one. Would definately only use it dire need, but it gives not only me a bit more of a sense of safety but my family will know if I am overdue and no alert has gone off that hopefully i am not too far away..... I guess if i had still not made contact then it may be a different story but at least it would give the rescuers a bit more of an idea and hopefully a bit more faith in me and my prepairdness...
Last edited by ILUVSWTAS on Fri 25 Sep, 2009 2:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nothing to see here.
ILUVSWTAS
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby photohiker » Fri 25 Sep, 2009 10:49 am

ILUVSWTAS, good on you. The main thing with emergency gear is to make a decision and not put yourself in a situation where you don't have a solution because you are still trying to decide which way to go.

ILUVSWTAS wrote: This is just my personal opinion but I contacted Telstra and was told Sat phones start at around $2000, on top of that you need to go on a plan starting around $30 per month. all that for something I'd hope to never have to use...

FWIW, The answer for economical Sat Phone hardware is to forget Telstra. There is a world market for used phones and the prices are nothing like the extortion we get here. A search on ebay reveals several motorola 9500 series phones sold in Sept for between US $150 and $735. Same goes for parts - batteries etc are reasonably priced outside of Aus. Sad but true.

As far as a satphone phone plan is concerned, your Telstra contacts may have misled you. Once you have a phone, all you need is a casual NextG sim from Telstra. 'Casual' means that you can stop the charges and restart them when required. Minimum Casual plan is $10 per month. So it is feasible to have a working Sat Phone without breaking the bank.
Michael
photohiker
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Ent » Fri 25 Sep, 2009 11:08 am

(Shawshank Redemption)
Ent
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby photohiker » Fri 25 Sep, 2009 11:45 am

Brett wrote:
photohiker wrote:
As far as a satphone phone plan is concerned, your Telstra contacts may have misled you. Once you have a phone, all you need is a casual NextG sim from Telstra. 'Casual' means that you can stop the charges and restart them when required. Minimum Casual plan is $10 per month. So it is feasible to have a working Sat Phone without breaking the bank.

Can a "normal" Telstra Next G card work, ie the one in my phone?

Cheers Brett

I haven't tried many, but every NextG sim has worked so far, so I'm guessing that it would work.
Michael
photohiker
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby ILUVSWTAS » Fri 25 Sep, 2009 2:42 pm

Cheers mate! I know my family feel the better for it!

WOW HOW UNLIKE TELSTRA TO BE MISLEADING..................... :evil:

Anyway given the option again i'd probably still go with the PLB
Last edited by ILUVSWTAS on Thu 01 Oct, 2009 8:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
Nothing to see here.
ILUVSWTAS
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby walkinTas » Wed 30 Sep, 2009 7:52 am

Devices that combine a 3G phone, Sat phone, PDA and GPS are coming, though getting all four in one device is still hard to find. If there is sufficient demand then I imagine this technology will be readily available in next couple of years.

For example, there is the Elektrobit hybrid cellular-satellite phone, but not a PDA, and perhaps not rugged enough for bushwalking, and the rugged Nautiz X7 PDA with 3G phone and GPS, but without the sat phone.
walkinTas
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Ent » Wed 30 Sep, 2009 12:23 pm

(Shawshank Redemption)
Ent
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Nuts » Wed 30 Sep, 2009 12:45 pm

photohiker wrote:
Brett wrote:
photohiker wrote:

Can a "normal" Telstra Next G card work, ie the one in my phone?

Cheers Brett

I haven't tried many, but every NextG sim has worked so far, so I'm guessing that it would work.

How does the phone number link? Is it set for the phone or linked to the sim. Im guessing the number is phone linked?
I have been paying $30pm for years, have known about this for a while, though have been hesitating as we sometimes do use the phone for long conversations (15-20mins sometimes). I suppose that the 000 would still connect without sim credit? or is it a $10 credit +debit style plan?
Nuts
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Jellybean » Mon 19 Oct, 2009 4:37 pm

Brett wrote:KTI Mini-Sat / KTI Mini-Sat-G Personal Locator Beacon.
These products are currently in the COSPAS-SARSAT approval process which must be completed before they can be sold. Our current outlook is for stock release November 2009.

And the delays on the release of the new KTI Mini-Sat / KTI Mini-Sat-G PLB continue ...... I sent an enquiry to KTI over the weekend to get an update on their release date. This was the General Manager's response:

"Prototypes presently remain in the later stages of type approval testing at a COSPAS-SARSAT approved laboratory. Once this testing has been completed there remains a process of scrutiny by the COSPAS-SARSAT secretariat which is expected to take at least 30 days. After that we can finalise our tooling and commence manufacture. On the weight of these factors we are aiming to release product late January 2010".

It is certainly a very slow process!
Jellybean
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

PreviousNext

Return to Techno-Babble