best bushwalking GPS?

For all high tech electronic equipment including GPS, PLB, chargers, phones, computers, software. Discussion of simple electrical devices such as torches, belongs in the main 'Equipment' forum.

Re: best bushwalking GPS?

Postby Zone-5 » Tue 17 Feb, 2015 3:36 am

Ok, time for an aviation experience here...

I used my eTrex 20 on a flight to Townsville to see whether the street navigation would work at 900 KPH! Yes, cruel I know, but me has got's ta know this! :twisted:

On the trip back the pilot announced that we were going to be late and that there was turbulence ahead. The eTrex 20 showed that we were well below max altitude and 200 kph off the top speed from the trip up and so I called the stewardess and asked:

"why are we going so slow?"

Dumbfounded she said "are you a pilot"?

I said "no but my GPS says that we are going much slower and lower than usual"

She said she'd check with the pilot and I asked "would the pilot consider going to max altitude to miss the turbulence, get up to the 900kph normal speed and get us home on time."

Ok, here am I expecting to get hot coffee into my lap with my outrageous request but she went and had a chat with the pilot!

Meanwhile the passenger next to me was thinking "yeah right!"

As I got off the plane and passed the stewardess to say goodbye, she grinned and said "did you notice the increase in speed and altitude!"

I said "yes I did" grinning back at her.

:P

:lol: :oops:
... moved to another forum @ 10/10/2015
Zone-5
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Region: Australia

Postby skog » Wed 18 Feb, 2015 4:51 pm

You must be one of those passengers :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
When I think of something good to put here, I will................
skog
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Region: Tasmania

Postby Zone-5 » Wed 18 Feb, 2015 11:23 pm

skog wrote:You must be one of those passengers...

...that met up with the stewardess after the flight for a drink and :wink:

correct. :mrgreen:
... moved to another forum @ 10/10/2015
Zone-5

Region: Australia

Postby dnaylor » Sat 14 Mar, 2015 8:56 pm

In regards to battery life on mobiles being too short.. yes that's true compared to using AA's in a purpose built GPS unit but in my case i can live with that as i use my Samsung in flight mode (often your out of mobile coverage anyway) and i carry a couple of spare hi capacity batteries for it, on overnight walks i have a mini universal charger plus a solar power bank (or use a Solio2) for longer walks i also have a 20watt panel (650g) that has 2 USB ports for charging direct or to the power banks...
I tend to have the solar power bank pictured attached to any pack i carry and found that i can recharge a battery on the fly during a walk by the time i have used up the one it replaced... with a full charge the power bank does 2-3 recharges so on day walks i have it pre charged as a back up.. the solio does better as it has 2 extra panels but weights twice as much (295g)...

on a side note... if you are using Lithium batteries and find the cost two high have a look at the "Energizer Advanced" alkaline.. i'm trying these out in a "steripen emergency" and find them just as good if not better...
Attachments
Ashampoo_Snap_2015.03.14_21h51m30s_001_.jpg
small solar powered power bank plus mini universal USB charger
Ashampoo_Snap_2015.03.14_21h51m30s_001_.jpg (108 KiB) Viewed 4687 times
dnaylor
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Region: New South Wales

Previous

Return to Techno-Babble