inReach SE as a general locater and a PLB

For all high tech electronic equipment including GPS, PLB, chargers, phones, computers, software. Discussion of simple electrical devices such as torches, belongs in the main 'Equipment' forum.

inReach SE as a general locater and a PLB

Postby bumpingbill » Fri 23 Jan, 2015 4:27 pm

Hey,

Has anyone recently got and used an inReach device (ideally the SE)?

I've seen a few threads on here about it, but I'm wondering if anyone has been using them regularly/lately?

And does anyone know how the PLB feature works? It seems to imply that SOS messages go via the GEOS facility in the US. How does that work in with Australian search and rescue?

Thinking about buying one (I like the two-way message feature - even though it's somewhat limited as the inReach device Iridium number can change randomly), so would love to hear some accounts by Aussie bushwalkers.
bumpingbill
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Tasmania

Re: inReach SE as a general locater and a PLB

Postby bumpingbill » Fri 23 Jan, 2015 4:38 pm

This is the thread I was talking about: viewtopic.php?f=21&t=14180

On second thoughts, maybe I should have replied at the bottom of that one. I wasn't sure if it was hijacking the thread
bumpingbill
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby photohiker » Fri 23 Jan, 2015 6:49 pm

bumpingbill wrote:Thinking about buying one (I like the two-way message feature - even though it's somewhat limited as the inReach device Iridium number can change randomly), so would love to hear some accounts by Aussie bushwalkers.

I have the original InReach. I think it and the SE are the best of the best in terms of remote two way variable message devices with SOS option.

The SOS does go through the GEOS facility, from what I have read it is a pretty good facility, underground with failsafe power and communications. When an SOS arrives from Australia it is relayed back through to Australia. There is little doubt that the SOS initial response time will be longer and less direct than using a beacon attached directly to AMSA. That is a trade-off you have to consider for yourself.

I have had mine since August 2012 and have used it in Australia including Tasmania as well as the UK, France, Spain, Norway and Sweden. I've never had to use the SOS, but in all other respects there has not been a problem. Not sure what you mean about the changing iridium number, that makes no sense to me, I have never had any problems with incoming or outgoing messages.
Michael
photohiker
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby bumpingbill » Sat 24 Jan, 2015 8:51 am

Does the original inReach has replaceable batteries?

One of the design decisions I'm not so keep on is the rechargeable (non-AA/AAA) battery. Seems to me that for an emergency device that also acts as something you can tweet from, there's the possibility you could use up the power only for it to run out when you need it most. I suppose you could take a back-up? Are there after-market batteries you can also buy? I suppose you could take an adapter to recharge from normal batteries on the go. Complicates it though.

The lady at pivotel told me that the numbers change at random intervals. It means that you don't have a single number that is yours and yours alone. Ie, in most cases you have to instigate the chat via SMS, and then you can get replies. But the number might change a few days down the track, meaning you have to instigate a fresh chat. At least that's for the SMS option.

What's the Delorme explore portal like? It seems like people can send messages to the device via the website pretty easily?

Thanks for your help.
bumpingbill
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby photohiker » Sat 24 Jan, 2015 1:36 pm

bumpingbill wrote:Does the original inReach has replaceable batteries?

Yes, it takes AA's

One of the design decisions I'm not so keep on is the rechargeable (non-AA/AAA) battery. Seems to me that for an emergency device that also acts as something you can tweet from, there's the possibility you could use up the power only for it to run out when you need it most. I suppose you could take a back-up? Are there after-market batteries you can also buy? I suppose you could take an adapter to recharge from normal batteries on the go. Complicates it though.

Agree. I think the SE runs 100 hours with 10 minute tracking. It has a micro-USB port for charging, you could carry a separate USB power source to recharge or enable use in an emergency....

The lady at pivotel told me that the numbers change at random intervals. It means that you don't have a single number that is yours and yours alone. Ie, in most cases you have to instigate the chat via SMS, and then you can get replies. But the number might change a few days down the track, meaning you have to instigate a fresh chat. At least that's for the SMS option.

Never heard of this before. I send messages to mobile phone numbers and email, never heard of a message sent to me that hasn't arrived. I guess it's possible, but hasn't been an issue for me to date.

What's the Delorme explore portal like? It seems like people can send messages to the device via the website pretty easily?

Thanks for your help.

It's a web service, it works. Programming and speed could be better. When I swapped from Spot, I found the InReach portal to be a bit better but not amazing. Yes, you can allow people to send messages from the portal.
Michael
photohiker
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby cjhfield » Sun 25 Jan, 2015 7:05 am

I just came back from 2 weeks kayaking Port Davey and the InReach SE performed better than expected. I used it to keep in contact with my kids who were overseas and to receive weather forecasts. A family member could compress a 3 day forecast into a single message. I used hourly tracking for maybe 6 hours per day then mostly had it switched off and just did a manual check for messages a few times through the evening. Used like that I guess it would last something like 10 days. I had a rechargeable battery brick and a small solar panel and had no trouble keeping it fully charged.

Given a good view of the sky it would send and receive in 1-2 minutes. With a poorer view it could still send and receive but might take 20 minutes. It was able to send and receive from inside a tent in trees which surprised me . Rather than move to a better spot just waiting for the satellites to move closer seemed to work fine.

I carried a PLB as well. It has a stronger transmitter and uses different satellites and would have the edge on reliability but the SE is pretty good. With the SE you can describe your problem. It is probably considered heresy but my impression was that it would be a reasonable PLB. Of course you have to pay Pivotel charges.

HTH

Chris
cjhfield
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby cjhfield » Sun 25 Jan, 2015 7:08 am

PS I only sent email messages. There is a guy in Canada who will set you up a fixed email address for free:

http://inreach.l5.ca

I have not used his service but it sounds a useful add on.

Chris
cjhfield
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby bumpingbill » Sun 25 Jan, 2015 7:56 am

cjhfield wrote:I just came back from 2 weeks kayaking Port Davey and the InReach SE performed better than expected. I used it to keep in contact with my kids who were overseas and to receive weather forecasts.

Oh good to hear it worked well. Thanks for your review.

I think the battery recharge option is a good idea - but I'd have to do a few tests to see how much charge you can get from a few spare batteries.

Delorme says their the inReach SE batter has 2,450 mAh (at 3.7v). Two alkaline AA batteries have around 2,500 mAh. So that'd be likely to give you close to a full recharge. AA is good as that is what runs my navigational GPS too.

What do you make of the costs from Delorme/Pivotel? Any gotchas you discovered?

Also, from a quick Google - it seems like the Delorme portal has changed, meaning the Canadian guys web-service isn't working at the moment. He says he'll fix in coming weeks. But I guess it shows a potential issue with relying on a third-party service. Pity, because it looks like a *&%$#! good idea!
bumpingbill
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby icefest » Sun 25 Jan, 2015 8:11 am

bumpingbill wrote:Delorme says their the inReach SE batter has 2,450 mAh (at 3.7v). Two alkaline AA batteries have around 2,500 mAh. So that'd be likely to give you close to a full recharge. AA is good as that is what runs my navigational GPS too.

Not quite, AA are 1.5v and two would be enough to get about 1/2 a charge.
Men wanted for hazardous journey. Low wages, bitter cold, long hours of complete darkness. Safe return doubtful.
icefest
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Victoria

Postby bumpingbill » Sun 25 Jan, 2015 9:39 am

Ah. This is why I'd have to run tests. 1/2 a charge would be acceptable for giving it a boost before hitting the SOS button, but it's not ideal.

Thanks for clarifying.
bumpingbill
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby bumpingbill » Sun 25 Jan, 2015 9:47 am

Can the battery on the inReach SE be removed?

I reckon I'll get one at this point, but it's somewhat annoying that the power system has been so badly designed.

For those that have used it, if I didn't have auto-tracking on and just turned it on once every 5 hours for a quick manual check-in/message check, how long would the device theoretically last?
bumpingbill
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby photohiker » Sun 25 Jan, 2015 9:56 am

If you want to use AA's, Lithiums would be the best and lightest off the shelf option:

Be aware that if you want to charge a 3.7v battery, you wont get far with 3v, I think you would need at least 3 batteries in series, and possibly 4 due to the voltage fall off under load.
Michael
photohiker
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby neilmny » Sun 25 Jan, 2015 10:39 am

photohiker wrote:I................Be aware that if you want to charge a 3.7v battery, you wont get far with 3v, I think you would need at least 3 batteries in series, and possibly 4 due to the voltage fall off under load.

The lower limit voltage for a 3.7 volt lithium cell is around 3.0V so a 3V charger will do not anything to charge it.
When a lithium cell is fully charged it will be approx. 4.2V. The 3.7V is nominal.
neilmny
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Victoria

Postby cjhfield » Sun 25 Jan, 2015 10:51 am

If you only switch it on 4 times per day for 5 mins it would last weeks. The battery life is good. I can't imagine why someone would want 10 minute tracking. 3 track points per day is probably enough for most. I had a 13000mAH rechargeable brick and my guess is it would recharge the device 3 times. So that gives you well over a month with moderate usage.

Pivotel plans are better than they used to be but have their annoyances. To switch plans there is a charge of $25. If you unsubscribe there is a $30 reconnection fee. In the US there is a plan where you pay a yearly sub and then just pay for any months you use it. There is talk of Pivotel releasing such a plan. Your subscription runs for the calendar month. If you sign up half way through a month you get a pro rata allowance and not a full months messages. This is a bit of a trap. If you want a full batch of messages for the last week of a month you have to sign up at the start of the month. But for many people who need it regularly the $17 per month plan would be fine. Just pay for 1 or 2 tracking points per day and send a minimum of messages and you might have a $5 extra bill for a week long trip and less on a weekend. Great for telling your mate when to pick you up or reassure family you are a day late but OK.

Chris
cjhfield
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby photohiker » Sun 25 Jan, 2015 11:05 am

cjhfield wrote:I can't imagine why someone would want 10 minute tracking. 3 track points per day is probably enough for most.

This has been discussed before, and it is certainly a choice we can make.

One of the points made about regular tracking apart from friends and family being able to track progress (which mine enjoy btw), is that if you are involved in an incident your location within 10 minutes and possibly the direction of travel is known. There are possibilities that involve separation from your gear or injury resulting in inability to activate the SOS or PLB to call in rescue. You might be dead when they get there but they will know where to look. :) Your watchers might notify authorities if they see no movement for some time and no response to messages. It's always a good idea to have a protocol with F&F for this eventuality.
Michael
photohiker
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby cjhfield » Sun 25 Jan, 2015 12:53 pm

I told my support person that no messages and no movement didn't mean anything, just that I had dropped it over the side or broken it somehow. If it can send a position it could send a message that includes position info. I used hourly tracking for fun and for my supports interest.

Chris
cjhfield
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Eljimberino » Mon 16 Feb, 2015 10:38 am

Im interested in one of these. There's a second hand one on gumtree in Perth. A bit worried about Pivotel charges for setting up a used device. Anyone had any experience?

Ride On
Eljimberino
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Western Australia

Postby cjhfield » Mon 16 Feb, 2015 6:56 pm

I think you should contact Pivotel to be sure. They have a monopoly so can charge what they like. The charge to register an overseas bought one looks anticompetitive to me. I think they are subject to the TIO ombudsman. I have never read anything about a charge to change ownership and maybe there isn't one. Pivotel are reasonably responsive to questions.

Chris
cjhfield
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Return to Techno-Babble