iphone 6 plus functionality in the wild

For all high tech electronic equipment including GPS, PLB, chargers, phones, computers, software. Discussion of simple electrical devices such as torches, belongs in the main 'Equipment' forum.

Re: iphone 6 plus functionality in the wild

Postby DanShell » Sat 23 May, 2015 12:41 pm

Suz wrote:Yeah I was logging a track but just in the office at work - so it probably wasn't making many way points. I'll try again today.

Changing batteries on the gps every 2 days doesn't sound like it'd save me that much weight. If Keithy is right and its 60gm for 2 AAs. And then the xiaomi 16000 - which weighs 350gm should charge my iPhone 5 times (assuming the 6 and 6 plus suck up the same amount of energy which perhaps they don't), then the weight per charge is 70gms. When you say your AAs last 2 days...how many hours of operation are we talking?

As a rough guide I turn it on at around 7:30am and turn it off at around 5pm. It will actually last 3 days if I am only logging my walk, but if I am constantly looking at contours and flicking around different screens then 2 solid days is a better estimate but I guess I don't change them until well into the third day as rule.

The best way to find out is to actually do it. You will need a power bank regardless and those xiaomi 1600's at $30-40 are incredible value given their quality and storage, so use your iPhone for a few days as a gps and camera etc and use the power bank to charge it and you will soon see if its able to do what you want.
Personally I think it will. As I have shown in my testing the power bank charges my iPhone, 6 times from fully flat. So as an example if I was using only my iPhone on the OLT and I ran it totally flat every day, which I would have if I was using it for a gps, then I would have been able to do the full 6 days no problems.
The only question mark would be if I needed to charge it during the day because my gps app used the battery up faster than a day.

I chose not to risk it and I took my garmin to log my walk. Not that there was any risk involved but I had no other camera besides my phone so I didn't want to 'risk' not being able to take photos :)
DanShell
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Tasmania

Postby madmacca » Sat 23 May, 2015 2:03 pm

GPSGuided wrote:Track log recording is the battery killer and I suspect it'll remain to be the issue.

If you can adjust the log interval, then this can substantially increase battery life.

As an example, my Suunto Ambit3 watch gives about 10h @ 1s intervals, 15h @ 5s intervals, and 100h @ 60s intervals.
madmacca
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Region: Victoria

iphone 6 plus functionality in the wild

Postby RonK » Sat 23 May, 2015 2:30 pm

Suz wrote:(assuming the 6 and 6 plus suck up the same amount of energy which perhaps they don't)

They don't - the 6 Plus has a much bigger battery. Apart from a better camera with image stabilisation, this is to me the prime reason for choosing the 6 Plus.
Last edited by RonK on Sat 23 May, 2015 4:58 pm, edited 2 times in total.
RonK

Region: Queensland

Postby GPSGuided » Sat 23 May, 2015 3:52 pm

madmacca wrote:f you can adjust the log interval, then this can substantially increase battery life.

True. Similarly can be adjusted on the Garmin to optimise its power consumption. The other big consumer I understand relates to the particular map used. Some highly detailed mapsets are power sapping for constant redraws. At the end of the day, one really needs to test it on one's particular setup.
Just move it!
GPSGuided
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: New South Wales

Postby Suz » Sun 24 May, 2015 8:25 am

Okay. Yes I will give it some trial runs out on trail and see how the battery does. MotionX does let you adjust long interval, so I can save battery that way, and also have the screen less 'bright' too. GPSG I guess you're right about just trying and testing various set ups until Im satisfied and then I guess I'll that proper test.
Suz
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Western Australia

Postby DanShell » Sun 24 May, 2015 10:42 am

Suz wrote:Okay. Yes I will give it some trial runs out on trail and see how the battery does. MotionX does let you adjust long interval, so I can save battery that way, and also have the screen less 'bright' too. GPSG I guess you're right about just trying and testing various set ups until Im satisfied and then I guess I'll that proper test.

Theres quite a lot of areas that you can save battery power on the iPhones. I won't list them but a quick google with have you sorted. My main one I do is to turn the brightness down but I also do about 10 other things, they all add up.
DanShell
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Tasmania

Postby Suz » Sun 24 May, 2015 10:44 am

Yep yep ill do this googlin'
Suz
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby madmacca » Sun 24 May, 2015 1:58 pm

Suz wrote:Yep yep ill do this googlin'

On an extended walk, it is worthwhile uninstalling any apps you are unlikely to use while bushwalking. Many of them run in the background, turn themselves on to update, etc which chews extra power. You can always reinstall them afterwards.

It's not worth the hassle on a weekend walk, but on a longer walk it can make a difference to power consumption.
madmacca

Postby GPSGuided » Sun 24 May, 2015 3:33 pm

madmacca wrote:On an extended walk, it is worthwhile uninstalling any apps you are unlikely to use while bushwalking. Many of them run in the background....

Might be the case on Android devices, no need under iOS. Just go into system settings and turn off notifications at most. I don't bother especially when there is no signals.
Just move it!
GPSGuided
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby icefest » Sun 24 May, 2015 5:59 pm

An AA lithium batter weighs between 12 and 14g I find that I get about 28hrs out of a set which works out to 2$/day.
Men wanted for hazardous journey. Low wages, bitter cold, long hours of complete darkness. Safe return doubtful.
icefest
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Suz » Sun 24 May, 2015 10:12 pm

oh that is pretty good icefest.
Suz
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby GPSGuided » Sun 24 May, 2015 10:46 pm

icefest wrote:An AA lithium batter weighs between 12 and 14g I find that I get about 28hrs out of a set which works out to 2$/day.

Do you log your daily track?
Just move it!
GPSGuided
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby icefest » Mon 25 May, 2015 9:41 am

Yes and temperature (I switch the screen to one that requires few redraws)
Men wanted for hazardous journey. Low wages, bitter cold, long hours of complete darkness. Safe return doubtful.
icefest
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby GPSGuided » Mon 25 May, 2015 9:54 am

That's pretty impressive.
Just move it!
GPSGuided
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby sweetade » Wed 11 Jan, 2017 7:35 am

(except for Kindleness and PLBness)[/quote]
Don't discount using the Kindle app on your iphone6. It's surprisingly easy to read. In fact easier than a kindle, at night, because of the backlit screen.My Kindle is quite hard to read with a head torch. I am about to test using my phone primarily as a kindle on a multi-day trip. I'm going to turn it off when not using, put in low power and airport mode and reduce screen brightness. I won't be making calls, GPS or using the internet. The Apple people think I might be able to get up to 15 hours reading time. I'm also planning to load a pdf with trip notes and maps (not interactive maps/GPS),
sweetade
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby sweetade » Wed 11 Jan, 2017 7:36 am

(except for Kindleness and PLBness)[/quote]
Don't discount using the Kindle app on your iphone6. It's surprisingly easy to read. In fact easier than a kindle, at night, because of the backlit screen.My Kindle is quite hard to read with a head torch. I am about to test using my phone primarily as a kindle on a multi-day trip. I'm going to turn it off when not using, put in low power and airport mode and reduce screen brightness. I won't be making calls, GPS or using the internet. The Apple people think I might be able to get up to 15 hours reading time. I'm also planning to load a pdf with trip notes and maps (not interactive maps/GPS),
sweetade
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby sweetade » Wed 11 Jan, 2017 7:41 am

madmacca wrote:
Suz wrote:Yep yep ill do this googlin'

On an extended walk, it is worthwhile uninstalling any apps you are unlikely to use while bushwalking. Many of them run in the background, turn themselves on to update, etc which chews extra power. You can always reinstall them afterwards.

It's not worth the hassle on a weekend walk, but on a longer walk it can make a difference to power consumption.

Just turn onto low power mode - then it only uses power for the app you have open. No need to uninstall apps as I understand it.
sweetade
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby photohiker » Wed 11 Jan, 2017 10:01 am

Correct.

Also, having apps on the phone doesn't mean they are running. If they are running in the background you can quit them by double pressing the home button. It will show all the running apps, just swipe those you don't need up and they are off.
Michael
photohiker
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby RonK » Wed 11 Jan, 2017 12:22 pm

sweetade wrote:Don't discount using the Kindle app on your iphone6.

You would be better off if you did discount it. Forget Kindle. Get audiobooks - the Audible website (and app) is good - it has a massive catalogue of books. Since it doensn't need to light the screen, the app uses very little battery power. I like to set a sleep timer at night so it shuts down after 30 minutes. And it's much easier on tired eyes.

Take out a monthly subscription - the book prices are much cheaper that way.

I have the entire sets of Lord of the Rings (for NZ trips), Asimov's Foundation series, Harry Potter, Game of Thrones all on my phone amongst many other titles including the original dramatization of The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy and lots of travel books.

I'm currently listening to the first book in Game of Thrones.
RonK

Region: Queensland

Postby photohiker » Wed 11 Jan, 2017 1:32 pm

I'd discount using the kindle or Audible apps on the iphone. Just use a Kindle Paperwhite. It has more than enough battery time for a week or more including excellent backlight.

I can understand why Ron falls to sleep hearing a book read to him, that's what we did to our kids and it put them to sleep too :D
Michael
photohiker
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Suz » Sat 14 Jan, 2017 2:28 pm

Hey guys,

I have a kindle paper white these days but yes also use Audible often now too. I'd agree the readings pretty good on the iPhone screen. Also quite like listening to books on audible - although they are as expensive as a paper back and sometimes the narrator's voices are off putting.

If I was advising myself now I'd say, yes get the iPhone 6 Plus - it's been great, ditto for my waterproof hardcase the catalyst, also MapOut has been a great app. The xiaomi batteries have been good but they are heavy. Still haven't bought a solar panel battery but I do still mean to.
Suz
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Previous

Return to Techno-Babble