Help. I can't find my Garmin Etrex 20 topo maps

For all high tech electronic equipment including GPS, PLB, chargers, phones, computers, software. Discussion of simple electrical devices such as torches, belongs in the main 'Equipment' forum.

Help. I can't find my Garmin Etrex 20 topo maps

Postby andrewa » Sun 10 May, 2015 9:19 pm

Please note that I only bought my first GPS last year, and have not yet really got my head around using it..

I seem to have "lost" the topographic maps that came with etrex20. Everything appeared to be fine until January, with topo maps of Oz and NZ and then something "happened" when I was trying to mark a route in NZ, and I am concerned that I have somehow deleted them.

Opening Basecamp only brings up the Worldwide Autoroute DEM baseman or the Global Map, which appears almost identical, but there are no contours on either. Clicking on "devices", I get etrex 20/internal storage or etrex 20/Worldwide Autoroute DEM baseman,NR

Can someone help me?

Andrew A
Attachments
image.jpg
andrewa
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: None
Region: Victoria

Re: Help. I can't find my Garmin Etrex 20 topo maps

Postby highercountry » Sun 10 May, 2015 9:43 pm

Click on "Maps" on the top line of the toolbar.
There should be a list of options including your Topo maps.
highercountry
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby keithy » Mon 11 May, 2015 6:59 am

Andrew

Just to clarify, did you get the topo maps as a download or DVD install, or did you get it on a microSD card?

If it was installed to the eTrex 20 directly (not a Micro SD card), basecamp is showing that you might have deleted it from the device memory.

You can try using this software - JaVaWa Device Manager http://www.javawa.nl/jdm_en.html to see what is going on with the eTrex plugged in to the PC. It will show you what maps are on the device or microsd card. Close down basecamp when you use JaVaWa so there's no conflicts. Remember to close down JaVaWa before trying to open the map in Basecamp.

Alternatively, you can dig around the directory structures to see if the topo map img file is still there, or has been accidentally deleted. Depending on which version of the Garmin Topo you had, you can see if the img file is still there:

V3 - about 2.8Gb
V4 - about 3Gb
V5 lite - about 1.4Gb
V5 - about 3.5Gb
keithy
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Region: Other Country

Postby phan_TOM » Mon 11 May, 2015 7:17 am

Is it possible you did a full reset on your gps by accident?

I was at the start of a walk last year and with the combination of driving rain and being in a hurry I accidentally 'reset all settings to factory default' instead of just resetting the trip data which I had intended to do. Easy enough to do if you aren't paying close attention as the two options are on the same menu page. It was a total pain in the *&%$#!...
Last edited by phan_TOM on Mon 11 May, 2015 7:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
ALWAYS be yourself.
Unless you can be outside, then ALWAYS be outside.
phan_TOM

Region: New South Wales

Postby andrewa » Mon 11 May, 2015 7:42 am

PhanTom, yes, that's possible.

The maps came on a micro SD card. I'll plug it into the computer directly, and see what is on the SD card...

What is the maps folder called?

A
andrewa
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby keithy » Mon 11 May, 2015 7:54 am

Andrew, resetting all to factory on the device *shouldn't* delete maps on the microSD card.

Take the microsd card out and use it in a card reader on a PC. That way you can try to rule out the issue being the SD card. It could be that the card has become faulty, or that the slot in the device has become damaged.

The map file is in the \Garmin folder on the MicroSD card and has extension .img. I think preloaded ones are still called gmapprom.img or gmapsupp.img (unless you renamed it yourself).

If that fails, try using the JaVaWa app to see what's what, use can use JaVaWa with the GPS with MicroSD card inserted, or use an external card reader on the PC with the MicroSD card in the PC instead.
keithy

Postby phan_TOM » Mon 11 May, 2015 8:10 am

keithy wrote:Andrew, resetting all to factory on the device *shouldn't* delete maps on the microSD card

I think you're right keithy, I doubt the factory reset option would delete anything off the SD card.

I should have added that I don't have an SD card in my etrex, the maps I deleted were stored in the internal memory (shonky & contours Aust)
ALWAYS be yourself.
Unless you can be outside, then ALWAYS be outside.
phan_TOM

Postby keithy » Mon 11 May, 2015 8:18 am

phan_TOM wrote:I should have added that I don't have an SD card in my etrex, the maps I deleted were stored in the internal memory (shonky & contours Aust)

I have done that in the past with my etrex30, but I learnt my lesson when I accidentally deleted all my tracklogs AND routes from my device.

Another thing I found out is that routes don't work when they are on the SDcard - they need to be on the device. So this can get annoying on trail, if you accidentally delete files or have to reset to factory for whatever reason - even if you have a backup of the files to a spare sdcard like I do, I couldn't get the gpx routes to work being stored on the external card.

Andrew - I was assuming you are referring to Garmin's Au/NZ topo files. If that is the case, one of the issues with preinstalled maps on SD is that the licence is tied to the microSD card it came on. From recollection when I got my V3, it stated that if the SDcard was damaged, I couldn't get the files back. So you can't copy the map file and use it on another microSD card. You can make backup of the files - but they have to be restored to that original card.

For the DVD version the license is tied to the device, so you can install it to whatever card you have, and it will work in the device it is licensed to.
keithy

Postby GPSGuided » Mon 11 May, 2015 9:04 am

To me, the most likely scenario was that Andrewa deselected the topo map for display on the eTrex 20. Not sure exactly how current eTrex's interface is laid out but the maps can be specifically activated or switched off. On my O650, it's in the quick access menu in the map screen or through the settings. Accidentally deleting the original topo map img file would have been a major 'catastrophe' that the user should have noticed. Also, some topo or specific maps don't display until the magnification is up to a certain level.
Just move it!
GPSGuided
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Strider » Mon 11 May, 2015 9:14 am

You can access the Micro SD with the Etrex 20 plugged into your computer. You may have even just disabled a setting that allows the maps to be read from the Micro SD.
Strider
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby keithy » Mon 11 May, 2015 9:21 am

GPSGuided wrote:To me, the most likely scenario was that Andrewa deselected the topo map for display on the eTrex 20.

Enabling or disabling maps on the device should not impact the way it appears in Basecamp. From Andrew's screenshot above, Basecamp is not detecting the maps on SD.
keithy

Postby Strider » Mon 11 May, 2015 9:25 am

keithy wrote:
GPSGuided wrote:To me, the most likely scenario was that Andrewa deselected the topo map for display on the eTrex 20.

Enabling or disabling maps on the device should not impact the way it appears in Basecamp. From Andrew's screenshot above, Basecamp is not detecting the maps on SD.

It actually appears the entire SD is not being recognised, as it is not appearing in the Devices field on the left-of-screen.
Strider
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby keithy » Mon 11 May, 2015 9:30 am

Strider wrote:It actually appears the entire SD is not being recognised, as it is not appearing in the Devices field on the left-of-screen.

That's what I meant, hence the suggestion to take the SD card out of the GPS, and use it in a card reader. That way you can see if it was a device glitch, or the SDcard slot on the device might have become faulty, or the SD card itself has developed an error.
keithy

Postby andrewa » Mon 11 May, 2015 10:12 am

I'll have a quick play with it at lunchtime by putting the micro SD into my PC and see what happens. Hopefully something useful!

A
andrewa
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby GPSGuided » Mon 11 May, 2015 10:41 am

Strider wrote:
keithy wrote:Enabling or disabling maps on the device should not impact the way it appears in Basecamp. From Andrew's screenshot above, Basecamp is not detecting the maps on SD.

It actually appears the entire SD is not being recognised, as it is not appearing in the Devices field on the left-of-screen.

Good points! In that case may just be a contact issue. Those microSD cards are mighty tough though HW failure may happen (rarely). Hopefully it's just a connection contact issue.
Just move it!
GPSGuided
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Strider » Mon 11 May, 2015 11:01 am

It could even be as simple as the sliding gate that holds the card in becoming loose when changing the batteries.
Strider
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Travis22 » Mon 11 May, 2015 12:24 pm

Be careful when you plug the card & card reader i to your pc it will likely ask you to reformat the card, make sure you read the prompt properly and do not accidently reformat the card otherwise the maps will be deleted if they arent already.

Travis.
Travis22

Postby andrewa » Mon 11 May, 2015 12:58 pm

OK, micro SD card plugged into PC....

Is the gmapsupp file the topographic maps?

And, if so, why isn't it loading on my GPS...?

A
Attachments
image.jpg
andrewa
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby andrewa » Mon 11 May, 2015 1:01 pm

When I click on that file i get -
Attachments
image.jpg
andrewa
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby keithy » Mon 11 May, 2015 1:07 pm

Andrew

Ok. that is a good sign. Yes, the gmapsupp.img is the topo, and from the size of the file, it appears that you have the V4 on your SD card.

Now you have determined the SD card is not the issue, and the maps have not been deleted, check it again when you insert it back in the eTrex. Make sure the card is seated correctly, and the slide locks down.

Then check to see if it pops up as a drive when you plug the eTrex to the PC. This way we can see if there has been some damage to the card slot which is preventing the device from recognising the SD card.

Don't worry about the fact you get the disc image is corrupt message. That is because Windows thinks the img file is a Disc Image file, rather than a Garmin Map Image file. So not a concern as yet.

Also, to be safe - you can backup the entire Garmin directory to somewhere on your PC. Make sure you copy all the files, including hidden files (the unl file is important). But you can only restore these files to the original SD card, and not a new card in future.
keithy

Postby andrewa » Mon 11 May, 2015 1:18 pm

So, card now in GPS. Have opened Garmin folder, and get this
Attachments
image.jpg
andrewa
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby keithy » Mon 11 May, 2015 1:21 pm

Ok. That Garmin eTrex 20 directory is actually the internal memory of your Etrex 20 itself, not the microSD card. What is the other drive F:? Is that an external CD/DVDRom Drive? or is it your Micro SD slot?
keithy

Postby andrewa » Mon 11 May, 2015 1:24 pm

Drive F is...
Attachments
image.jpg
andrewa
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby keithy » Mon 11 May, 2015 1:27 pm

Check that again - did you upload the wrong screenshot? that still shows the D: Garmin eTrex 20\Garmin directory.

Comparing the Drive name of your previous screenshot where you plugged the SDcard directly into the PC and got it to the G: drive, and the new one where it is the F: drive, it looks like the PC is now recognising your SDcard.

It should work now on basecamp.
Last edited by keithy on Mon 11 May, 2015 1:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
keithy

Postby GPSGuided » Mon 11 May, 2015 1:31 pm

Restart BaseCamp and see if it recognises the microSD this time.
Just move it!
GPSGuided
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby andrewa » Mon 11 May, 2015 1:36 pm

Oops.
Attachments
image.jpg
andrewa
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby keithy » Mon 11 May, 2015 1:38 pm

Bingo. As I posted just above, it is now showing the SDCard correctly when it is in the eTrex. Try Basecamp now, and it will work.

Also, if you are going to NZ, check out http://www.topomap.co.nz/ NZ's LINZ department gives out free Garmin compatible KMZ map files using the NZTOPO50.
keithy

Postby andrewa » Mon 11 May, 2015 1:41 pm

OK. Restarted Basecamp, and now do have topographic maps. Yeah! Now, how do I install these maps onto Basecamp on my PC so that I don't have to plug in my GPS every time I want to look at the maps? Remember that you're communicating with a technological idiot!

A
Attachments
image.jpg
andrewa
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby keithy » Mon 11 May, 2015 1:50 pm

Good to hear it is sorted.

Unfortunately, for preprogrammed SD cards, you are unable to move the files to the PC directly - this is the restriction on the license. You can only view it in basecamp either with it installed in the eTrex, and then connected to your PC, or taking the SDcard and putting into a card reader and connecting to the PC. That way Basecamp can read it.

If it was another non-license restricted map, you could do a virtual drive, like I previously posted, viewtopic.php?f=21&t=14234&start=120#p265757 but it is more convenient to use an SDcard reader IMHO.
keithy

Postby andrewa » Mon 11 May, 2015 1:55 pm

Great. Thanks to all. I will have a play tonight, and see whether I can get myself orientated.

I got a "bit" disorientated on Bogong a few weekends ago ( only by a few 100m), but fortunately had my iPhone/GAIA GPS.

Next step is to work out how to install other maps on my GPS....which may be another thread if I cant!

A
andrewa
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Next

Return to Techno-Babble