Windows 10

For all high tech electronic equipment including GPS, PLB, chargers, phones, computers, software. Discussion of simple electrical devices such as torches, belongs in the main 'Equipment' forum.

Re: Windows 10

Postby photohiker » Fri 14 Aug, 2015 8:14 am

Johnnie Walker wrote:
Johnnie Walker wrote:
photohiker wrote:Software will check for the Windows version. If the Operating System is "Windows 9x" it can be Windows 95, Windows 98 or Windows 9. Hence they couldn't use Windows 9. A new 2015 Operating System is not compatible with Windows 95 or 98. Nothing to do with Apple 10, other competitors are Ubuntu Linux 14 and OpenSuse 13.
Lols.
So the supposedly greatest software company on earth writes software that cannot tell the difference between Windows 95, 98, or 9.

It's third-party software that checks for "Windows 9x". I know internal Win-95 is version 4.0 and Win-98 is 4.10. There are a lot of websites that speculate why it's 10 and not 9. This is one of the many reasons.

So people running software from way back are holding Microsoft to ransom :D

I think this is just internet speculation. Microsoft has not directly given a reason other than "Windows 7 8 9" (lol, Windows seven ate nine).

The only reasonable excuse for jumping 9 is marketing.
Michael
photohiker
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby GPSGuided » Fri 14 Aug, 2015 8:53 am

photohiker wrote:The only reasonable excuse for jumping 9 is marketing.

Or at least a significant part of their reason. A bit of a joke to say that the system can't differentiate Windows 95 and Windows 9 internally. If I can't, then it'd be a real reason to question the coding ability at MSFT. Anyway, just a small and curious marketing issue. Still, the overriding decision matter for me is security and overall ease of use.
Just move it!
GPSGuided
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: New South Wales

Postby Gadgetgeek » Fri 14 Aug, 2015 11:33 am

Its a big ecosystem, and its not just micro's decisions. I'm sure there were a lot of reasons, since this is supposed to be the last major update, and everything is going to be incremental, I can see why they didn't want to be stuck at windows 9 for a long time. There are a lot of really obscure legacy systems that a large part of the world rely on, and so the win9x thing would have played a part to a degree. Maybe its like y2k, was it not a problem on its own, or was it not a problem because we fixed it? who would ever know.
Photohiker, you do know that most ATMs run on WinNT and there are industrial control systems (even things like building HVAC) or inventory systems that run on the old OSes, 95 and onward. There are a lot of "embedded" systems that are on ME which is a bit of a nightmare. I used to have to use a lighting control desk that was one such device. Why they didn't develop a kernel level system I don't know.
By fall we will have a good idea of how its held up.
Gadgetgeek
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Queensland

Postby photohiker » Fri 14 Aug, 2015 12:38 pm

Thanks Gadgetgeek, I've worked in IT for a long time and pretty aware of old legacy systems still in use. Not really relevant to the discussion of a new version of any OS though.

I'm hopeful that 10 will mature and be a stable system. Like any of my Windows systems, it's unlikely to be my primary system, I prefer Unix or Unix-like systems.
Michael
photohiker
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Gadgetgeek » Fri 14 Aug, 2015 2:32 pm

I figured, sometimes tone is hard, and I'm socially inept at the best of times. Your comment that people running old software were to blame was more truthful than sarcastic, which was my misunderstanding, so I explained a joke I didn't need to. All on the same page now.
Gadgetgeek
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby north-north-west » Fri 14 Aug, 2015 2:37 pm

photohiker wrote:
north-north-west wrote:
DanShell wrote:Someone has to say it, once you go Mac you never go back! Coming on 4 years now, multiple users, not one issue. No anti virus, no slow downs, no worms bugs Trojans or otherwise, no anything. Certainly no reinstalls or restores :)
Sorry, I'm not contributing corvus, I'm just a very happy Mac owner after years wasting too much time on windows products ;)

EDIT: And just to risk really getting in trouble for being a trouble maker in Corvus' windows post, Ill just mention that with Mac every new operating system is FREE and BETTER :mrgreen:

But just check first whether all your other programs will run with it. When i moved up to Mavericks I had to get a newer version of PSE. Still not happy about that. :x

What version of PSE were you running? It's up to v13 now but I'm having no real problems with v9 on Yosemite (10.10.4)

Not sure, but it was fairly old - ancient by IT standards. May even have been the version I started with, shortly after getting my first DSLR, which was something like 2004.
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Social Misfits Anonymous
Region: Tasmania

Postby GPSGuided » Fri 14 Aug, 2015 2:50 pm

north-north-west wrote:Not sure, but it was fairly old - ancient by IT standards. May even have been the version I started with, shortly after getting my first DSLR, which was something like 2004.

11 years old software and you didn't expect it to run bug free did you? That's more than ancient and 3-5 generations of computers down.
Just move it!
GPSGuided
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby north-north-west » Fri 14 Aug, 2015 3:02 pm

*shrug* It may have been newer, I really just don't recall. I may have updated it when I got the Mac. I may not.
All I'm sure of was I went to Mavericks so I could run the Lightroom test version for a month to decide if I wanted it, and then PSE wouldn't run.
[whinge] I'm not a fan of a great deal of modern technology because it is designed to work like this - you get used to having something and then the software gets updated and you have to keep updating everything else (including sometimes the hardware) just to stay level. And that's hard to do on a limited budget. It's not like these things can't be designed to work consistently with older programs - it may be hard to do so, but not impossible. But that means less profit.
It's the same with cloud storage. I refuse to use it because it's just another way of sucking people in to the endless reliance and upgrade cycle.[/whinge]
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Social Misfits Anonymous

Postby GPSGuided » Fri 14 Aug, 2015 3:09 pm

I agree with your take on the cost of keeping up with modern technologies. On this, I like the Apple model of packaging quality apps and free updates from OS to apps. So for a good number of users, the cost is largely limited to HW updates, whatever that frequency one decides on.
Just move it!
GPSGuided
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Zone-5 » Sat 15 Aug, 2015 8:48 pm

GPSGuided wrote:I agree with your take on the cost of keeping up with modern technologies.

I'm still happy with Vista sp1 and MAC OSX 10.5.8!

Does my opinion on this still count? :oops:

:shock:
... moved to another forum @ 10/10/2015
Zone-5
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Region: Australia

Postby corvus » Sat 15 Aug, 2015 9:44 pm

Zone-5 wrote:
GPSGuided wrote:I agree with your take on the cost of keeping up with modern technologies.

:shock:

Yes if I knew what you were waffling about?? :lol:
collige virgo rosas
corvus
Vercundus gearus-freakius
Vercundus gearus-freakius

Postby RonK » Sat 15 Aug, 2015 10:17 pm

photohiker wrote:I think Microsoft jumped over Windows 9 so they could catch up with Apple. Apple runs OSX 10.x and now windows is also 10 !!

I think they missed the point that OSX first commercial release as 'Cheetah' 10.0 was released on March 24, 2001

To believe this, you would also have to miss the point that OS X is indeed OS Ten.
Last edited by RonK on Sat 15 Aug, 2015 10:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RonK

Postby RonK » Sat 15 Aug, 2015 10:22 pm

north-north-west wrote:*shrug* It may have been newer, I really just don't recall. I may have updated it when I got the Mac. I may not.
All I'm sure of was I went to Mavericks so I could run the Lightroom test version for a month to decide if I wanted it, and then PSE wouldn't run.

Only PSE12 runs on Mavericks.
RonK

Postby photohiker » Sat 15 Aug, 2015 11:19 pm

RonK wrote:
photohiker wrote:I think Microsoft jumped over Windows 9 so they could catch up with Apple. Apple runs OSX 10.x and now windows is also 10 !!

I think they missed the point that OSX first commercial release as 'Cheetah' 10.0 was released on March 24, 2001

To believe this, you would also have to miss the point that OS X is indeed OS Ten.

Not missed, and the previous Apple OS was OS Nine. That's the number Windows dropped. Whilst OSX was a major change, it fitted the prior naming convention.
Michael
photohiker
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Zone-5 » Mon 17 Aug, 2015 12:36 am

corvus wrote:
Zone-5 wrote:

Yes if I knew what you were waffling about?? :lol:

DanShell wrote:Someone has to say it, once you go Mac you never go back! Coming on 4 years now, multiple users, not one issue. No anti virus, no slow downs, no worms bugs Trojans or otherwise, no anything. Certainly no reinstalls or restores :)

You GOT IT! :mrgreen:
Zone-5

Postby GPSGuided » Mon 17 Aug, 2015 8:07 am

RonK wrote:To believe this, you would also have to miss the point that OS X is indeed OS Ten.

It's also of note that the annual releases of Mac OS X versions have been in point increments since ie. 10.0, 10.1 to the present 10.10.5. In another 2-3 years, Windows will get ahead with Windows 11 or 12 is they do the jump again.
Just move it!
GPSGuided
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Hiking Noob » Mon 17 Aug, 2015 8:13 am

Slightly different question but has anyone done it as a clean install or does it have to be done as an update?

I have been waiting for it as I messed up my current 8.1 install a bit when I was trying to allow dual booting, it often wants to roll back to 8 at start up hahaha!

EDIT- I like the little car pic above, I don't really care about computers but I would rather have an older car that is user serviceable over a new one, same with trucks.
Hiking Noob
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby GPSGuided » Mon 17 Aug, 2015 8:47 am

This is more a case of a new car that requires minimal servicing vs an old bomb that constantly needs attention. For people who need to get from A to B regularly and reliably, the choice is obvious for most. Hopefully Win 10 is a step up in this respect.
Just move it!
GPSGuided
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby MikeB62 » Mon 17 Aug, 2015 9:07 am

Hiking Noob wrote:Slightly different question but has anyone done it as a clean install or does it have to be done as an update?

I have been waiting for it as I messed up my current 8.1 install a bit when I was trying to allow dual booting, it often wants to roll back to 8 at start up hahaha!

EDIT- I like the little car pic above, I don't really care about computers but I would rather have an older car that is user serviceable over a new one, same with trucks.

You need to do an update first and then once it has activated you can (if you want) do a clean install.
If you try a clean install first up it will want a Windows 10 key, which you don't have, you only have a windows 8 key. After you upgrade and activate it will generate a new windows 10 key. You are then ok to do a clean install.
MikeB62
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby Hiking Noob » Mon 17 Aug, 2015 9:22 am

EDIT, in regards to an earlier post-

Ha, rubbish, I have owned minis and I have also owned a modern Volvo, the Minis were much less troublesome and when something went wrong it could be fixed without going to a dealer. Modern stuff is so frustrating, I was a truck mech and I can't even fix or even accurately diagnose a fault in my own car and half the time it's just something silly like corrosion in a plug and not your engine is missing like the dash display will no doubt tell you. On my Vovo if you removed the air con controls without disconnecting the battery you'd get an airbag fault code. I tried to convince my sister not to buy a VW but she bought one and now keeps a spare car as it is cheaper to have a spare than do a couple of emergency visits to the VW dealer. Modern isn't always better.

Back to computers, sorry, I carry on a bit :)
Hiking Noob
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Zone-5 » Mon 17 Aug, 2015 3:40 pm

GPSGuided wrote:This is more a case of a new car that requires minimal servicing vs an old bomb that constantly needs attention. For people who need to get from A to B regularly and reliably, the choice is obvious for most. Hopefully Win 10 is a step up in this respect.

iMac 2006 OSX 10.5.8

That's true if you have the time and the money to sort out the Beta bugs that always hobble new OS's. But "For people who need to get from A to B regularly and reliably" its best to stick with what works for you. If you are prepared to look after your purchases and maintain them properly then you should get many years of productive use. Yes it would be nice to buy a new Rangie every year but unless you really use all the new features and need them then you are just wasting your money in the false hope that 'new always means better'.

- My 04 Forester XT does everything I need in a camping RV.
- My '85 HP-41CX serves me numerically without issue.
- My MAC OS X.5.8 does the web and email's without issue.
- M$ Vista runs the house and HVAC systems without issue.

Unless there can be shown critical benefits in upgrading then what is the point beyond the marketing hype!

:)
Zone-5

Postby GPSGuided » Mon 17 Aug, 2015 4:59 pm

No question on the HP-41 and similar. They are just fantastic calculators. Unfortunately mine died a few years ago. Now I primarily use a HP-12C and a HP-15C emulator app on my iPhone. Just can't get away with the logic and convenience of RPN. As for computers, compatibility and security are my reasons for keeping them up to date.
Just move it!
GPSGuided
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Zone-5 » Mon 17 Aug, 2015 5:26 pm

GPSGuided wrote:No question on the HP-41 and similar. They are just fantastic calculators. Unfortunately mine died a few years ago.

My inner Geekness revealed... :lol:

I got my 41C (Coconut) in '85 and then got it refirb'ed to a CX in '89 when HP PPC Calc division was based in Melbourne. The HP wand has disappeared and the card readers drive wheel has since perished, yet you can still get replacements! :roll:

I use this 41 pc app on the lappy all the time, as the real 41 lives mainly in it's piggy skin case...

Windows HP-41CX emulator by 'Warren Furlow' works on all PC platforms as a portable:
https://www.educalc.net/326089.page

Image Image

HP_41cx_EMU_2002.zip download link:
https://doc-00-cc-docs.googleuserconten ... e=download

check it out... :mrgreen:

PS: I have 2x as new 48GX's in a drawer ready to be sold off if you ever need one... ;)
Zone-5

Postby GPSGuided » Mon 17 Aug, 2015 5:48 pm

Used 'calculators' on the computer/laptop, it's just not the same. Really need to input with one's finger. And did I say how I love HP's button clicks! On iOS, HP has official emulator apps on sale along with a whole bunch of third party emulators. Keeping the spirit alive.
Just move it!
GPSGuided
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby tasadam » Thu 20 Aug, 2015 6:58 pm

[tongue in cheek]
And Windows10 is not Apple, nor is it a calculator. And rule 21 does not exist.
[/tongue in cheek]

Well, that's my subtle way of dropping a hint at keeping replies relevant, as has been requested by communication from a forum member.
tasadam
Magnus administratio
Magnus administratio

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: TasmaniART, Smitten Merino, Macpac

Postby Zone-5 » Fri 21 Aug, 2015 5:00 am

Sorry, you know when we get tech chatty we loose all sense of reality, we'll move off to another happy thread (below) :P and leave those poor sods to their Windows 10 nightmares... :twisted:

viewtopic.php?f=21&t=21046

...so for those who can't get the foggiest going what ever with W10 update lockups then look at this...

:cry:
Last edited by Zone-5 on Wed 26 Aug, 2015 3:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
Zone-5

Postby Hiking Noob » Fri 21 Aug, 2015 8:12 am

I stopped watching at three minutes, he uses Linux, Windows is noob friendly and updates automatically, how can you take more than three minutes to get that point across?

I was a bit worried about the auto updates but you just set your computer to metered connection and you should be fine, I have over 1GB of DLs to do for 8 hahaha, I only do it if my cap doesn't run out.

People said not to move 8 at the release but it was fine for me except for Fujitsu being a bit slow to release drivers, this time the drivers were out before Windows 10 which was nice.
Hiking Noob
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Happy Pirate » Wed 18 Nov, 2015 5:30 pm

With a Glass Eye & 3 Wooden Legs:
http://www.glasseyephoto.com.au
Happy Pirate
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Hiking Noob » Wed 18 Nov, 2015 6:31 pm

From memory all you do is do is hit some custom install icon when upgrading and I'm pretty sure you can take care of all this stuff in one go.

I am annoyed you can't remove Skype from Windows Phone 10, if you stay signed in(had no idea I was as I don't use it) you get spammers requesting you add them.

Windows 10 for the PC is good, no complaints from me.
Hiking Noob
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Previous

Return to Techno-Babble