Google maps now also works offline

For all high tech electronic equipment including GPS, PLB, chargers, phones, computers, software. Discussion of simple electrical devices such as torches, belongs in the main 'Equipment' forum.

Google maps now also works offline

Postby LandSailor » Wed 11 Nov, 2015 7:39 pm

LandSailor
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: New South Wales

Re: Google maps now also works offline

Postby -dz- » Wed 11 Nov, 2015 8:07 pm

How is this different from before?

Like you've always been able to download map sections offline (even on the ios version with an OK maps command or something.) So what has changed? Is there more features than before? Or are they just republishing a relatively unknown feature?
-dz-
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby LandSailor » Wed 11 Nov, 2015 8:27 pm

-dz- wrote:How is this different from before?

Like you've always been able to download map sections offline (even on the ios version with an OK maps command or something.) So what has changed? Is there more features than before? Or are they just republishing a relatively unknown feature?

Not sure dz. Haven't used this function myself. I'm hoping it works with the satellite maps.
LandSailor
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby icefest » Thu 12 Nov, 2015 7:22 am

the link provided by the OP wrote:Whereas before you could simply view an area of the map offline, now you can get turn-by-turn driving directions, search for specific destinations, and find useful information about places, like hours of operation, contact information or ratings.

I use another map anyway as I find I really like having my current GPS based speed visible on my phone (and it beeps at me when I go over the speed limit).
Men wanted for hazardous journey. Low wages, bitter cold, long hours of complete darkness. Safe return doubtful.
icefest
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Victoria

Postby keithy » Thu 12 Nov, 2015 3:39 pm

With the new offline mode, you are able to download maps and info so when you are offline, you can still search for places in the saved area, and use the navigation function.

With the old offline mode, you were restricted to a 50kmx50km area and while you could download that map to use offline, you could just pan and zoom across the map, but could not search addresses or places, and could not use google navigation in offline mode. With the old offline mode, your maps were limited to 30 days, so if you remained offline for the duration, you wouldn't be able to open the offline maps again after the 30 days expired.

I was hoping that they would include some offline satellite maps like Garmin's BirdsEye, but it doesn't seem that they will.
keithy
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Region: Other Country

Return to Techno-Babble