Advice sought which GPS to buy

For all high tech electronic equipment including GPS, PLB, chargers, phones, computers, software. Discussion of simple electrical devices such as torches, belongs in the main 'Equipment' forum.

Re: Advice sought which GPS to buy

Postby keithy » Thu 18 Aug, 2016 12:32 am

Lophophaps wrote:In any case, would not the 20X have a map with contours?
Unfortunately not. The 20X out of the box only comes with a very basic base map (no contours/no details).

I don't believe the eTrex series ever came prebundled with topo versions that included topo maps. In any case the ones you linked above do not include maps.

As farefam posted, there are simple ways to get OSM maps on the device, or you can buy the Garmin topo maps separately.

farefam wrote:I also downloaded EasyGPS on my laptop so

farefam - you can also use the free Garmin basecamp software http://www.garmin.com/en-AU/shop/downloads/basecamp It definitely makes it easier to import waypoints/tracks/routes. You can search if someone has the routes or tracks that you intend to walk and preview their gpx files on basecamp first, then import it to your eTrex.

farefam wrote:I've seen someone else use TASMAPs on their smartphone GPS

There are a few tools out there that can convert Geotiffs to a Garmin raster format. The eTrex 20 can view raster (scanned) maps and I have created some of my own scanned maps to use on my eTrex 30 and Oregon 600.
keithy
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Region: Other Country

Postby farefam » Thu 18 Aug, 2016 12:40 am

Keithy,

Are you suggesting that I could scan my 1:25000's on my home scanner as a TIFF file then georeference the TIFF it so that it can be copied onto my GPS? In my former life as a geologist I used to be able to do that using mining software, but could you point me the right way to those tools out there, as in some circumstances being able to make my own maps would be quite useful for that vegetation issue I mentioned.
farefam
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby keithy » Thu 18 Aug, 2016 12:55 am

farefam wrote:Keithy,

Are you suggesting that I could scan my 1:25000's on my home scanner as a TIFF file then georeference the TIFF it so that it can be copied onto my GPS?

Yes - the guys that make EasyGPS have one called ExpertGPS that can do it, but it is a bit expensive IMHO.

I have another called g-raster, and it's sister program - http://moagu.com/?page_id=155 You can download a tile limited demo version.

It is a bit complex to use, but here are some sites to get you started:
  • Here's a thread from a while back viewtopic.php?f=21&t=7703&p=103803
  • https://www.gpsfiledepot.com/tutorials/creating-raster-noaa-charts-for-garmin-gps-units-with-moagu/
  • http://freegeographytools.com/2009/create-garmin-compatible-raster-kmz-files-from-georeferenced-imagery-with-g-raster

The things to note are Garmin's limitations on "tile" sizes (1024x1024 pixels). But the moagu/G-raster program can break up larger images into smaller tiles so you don't have lose resolution.
keithy

Postby Lophophaps » Thu 18 Aug, 2016 7:44 am

Keithy, wow, no maps. Whilst I have not used a GPS I've seen enough, and all had excellent maps, with contours. The next question follows from this - what is the best way to get maps of apline Victoria and NSW?
Lophophaps
Auctorita modica
Auctorita modica

Region: Victoria

Postby farefam » Thu 18 Aug, 2016 4:57 pm

Thanks for that extra info Keithy. As usual it is remarkable how much useful stuff you can get from the internet these days. Now if I could just get off the better half's leash and get out bush again......!
farefam
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby north-north-west » Thu 18 Aug, 2016 6:41 pm

Lophophaps wrote:Keithy, wow, no maps. Whilst I have not used a GPS I've seen enough, and all had excellent maps, with contours. The next question follows from this - what is the best way to get maps of alpine Victoria and NSW?

OSM & Contours.
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Social Misfits Anonymous
Region: Tasmania

Postby peregrinator » Thu 18 Aug, 2016 7:13 pm

north-north-west wrote:
Lophophaps wrote:Keithy, wow, no maps. Whilst I have not used a GPS I've seen enough, and all had excellent maps, with contours. The next question follows from this - what is the best way to get maps of alpine Victoria and NSW?

OSM & Contours.

NNW, I gather you possibly mean the maps by andrewp that have been mentioned on several occasions here. As I wrote earlier, I downloaded some of these from Dropbox: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/zzekid1f5g7mud5/AADL_LqQIyQ9RIScgVhw5k53a?dl=0

And as I was trying to suggest to Lophophaps, this is easy to do and ought to provide exactly what he needs. Though the absence of watercourses might be a nuisance. But if you mean something else, I and presumably Lophophaps wouldn't mind a link if you have one.
peregrinator
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby north-north-west » Thu 18 Aug, 2016 7:24 pm

Yeah that thing. Watercourses don't matter if you're only using the GPS as a back-up.
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Social Misfits Anonymous
Region: Tasmania

Postby peregrinator » Thu 18 Aug, 2016 7:41 pm

north-north-west wrote:Yeah that thing. Watercourses don't matter if you're only using the GPS as a back-up.

Thanks for that. Yeah, when using paper maps in conjunction with a GPS device then while it seems a bit odd that squiggly blue lines are missing on the screen, it sure don't matter.
peregrinator
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby keithy » Thu 18 Aug, 2016 9:33 pm

Lophophaps wrote:Keithy, wow, no maps. Whilst I have not used a GPS I've seen enough, and all had excellent maps, with contours. The next question follows from this - what is the best way to get maps of apline Victoria and NSW?

Definitely no maps included. I checked the eTrex 20x being sold now and they are not bundled with maps and there are currently no promos for free topo maps. Handheld GPS devices are one of those things that still don't get bundled with "free" topo maps unless they are part of a promotion. Garmin and Magellan have previously done promotions where they have either bundled topo maps with purchase of specific units, or had free maps available by redemption with your device receipt.

There are a number of options for topo maps in Aust:
  • Garmin topo: currently at Version 5/5 light. These will cost around $100 for the lite version and $180 for the full version https://www.ja-gps.com.au/Garmin/garmin ... lia-nz-sd/
  • Oztopo: http://www.oztopo.com.au Costs around $250 - I have not used Oztopo for ages. I think the last time was on a borrowed unit some 5-6 years ago. But it is meant to be quite good albeit more expensive option. There has been some previous discussion here, and some members have the later Oztopo versions like in this thread viewtopic.php?f=21&t=20688
  • OSM & contours - like that compiled by andrewp here: viewtopic.php?f=21&t=14234&start=150#p268841 While I have found this to be a good "free" option, it is important to note that there are the omissions and some errors in there that you can see from my screenshot examples in this thread viewtopic.php?f=63&t=22557. From the "Wild Magazine" example at the Capertree river, you can see that the Garmin maps have contours that are different from the paper map contours, and the OSM map contours are more accurate (even though they omit a number of watercourses).
  • Shonkymaps - was a great free option back almost 10 years ago when there were few other free alternatives, but has not been updated for a long time (I think since 2007) http://shonkylogic.net/shonkymaps/

The more complicated method - is to get the georeferenced PDF files from the various land authorities, convert them into a Garmin raster format and load them manually to your device.
keithy

Advice sought which GPS to buy

Postby GPSGuided » Sat 20 Aug, 2016 6:23 am

I'd suggest the one shot solution is OzTopo, just a tad expensive. I still am too stingy for it. OSM+contour is free and up to date but needs to get a copy of the now non-public transparent Contour layer file from someone privately. Then there are privately generated of these which are excellent and convenient, just not updated regularly.
Just move it!
GPSGuided
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: New South Wales

Postby Lophophaps » Sat 01 Oct, 2016 4:29 pm

After a lot of deliberation I now have an eTrex 30X. Many screens, much power, and maps loaded. In time I'll work out most functions. One is critical and elusive. I wish to set the readings to a conventional GR, albeit with more digits. The present setup has lat and long, not that useful. This website
http://www.canberrabushwalkingclub.org/ ... GPS101.pdf
has information about the eTrex 30, which is similar to the 30X. My maps are GDA94, so
Position format - a screen with three areas:
Top ............. hddd
Middle ......... Map Datun WGS 84
Bottom ......... Map spheriod WGS 84
Scroll down to Map datum GS 84 and push the button. I still get lat and long.

The Garmin manual at
http://static.garmin.com/pumac/eTrex_10 ... _OM_EN.pdf
is not very clear at all, at least to me.

It seems that I'm close to selecting the GR option but I cannot do the last step. Advice about this would be valued. TIA.
Lophophaps
Auctorita modica
Auctorita modica

Postby Mark F » Sat 01 Oct, 2016 6:18 pm

The manual is not the best. I have the older Etrex 30 but they seem to share the same manual. To set the units to UTM you are on the correct page. In the top position mine has a label "Position Format". Click on the data field for that top position and scroll down the list to UTM UPS and select it. The middle and bottom positions are correct.

It is also useful to set up Profiles. I have one for use with maps, another for when I am not using a map and a third for in camp.

On the main data page in my maps profile I have my display set to show position at the top, Elevation and Accuracy in the upper middle, Dist to Destination and Bearing in the lower middle and Sunset and temperature in the bottom. It is often quite useful to know when sunset is and I have a little Tempe pod which gives me a temperature readout along with 24hr max and min.
"Perfection is attained not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing more to remove".
Mark F
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Australian Capital Territory

Postby Lophophaps » Sat 01 Oct, 2016 7:45 pm

Mark F wrote:IClick on the data field for that top position and scroll down the list to UTM UPS and select it. The middle and bottom positions are correct.

Thanks for that - I was close! The manuals do not assist, muddy language. I selected UTM UPS several times and it did not work, still have lat and long. The 30 and 30X are very similar, not quite the jump from Win 7 to Win 10.

Mark F wrote:It is also useful to set up Profiles. I have one for use with maps, another for when I am not using a map and a third for in camp.

On the main data page in my maps profile I have my display set to show position at the top, Elevation and Accuracy in the upper middle, Dist to Destination and Bearing in the lower middle and Sunset and temperature in the bottom. It is often quite useful to know when sunset is and I have a little Tempe pod which gives me a temperature readout along with 24hr max and min.

I'm exploring all the options, will have a look at this.
Lophophaps
Auctorita modica
Auctorita modica

Postby Mark F » Sat 01 Oct, 2016 8:41 pm

I don't know whether this is the case but sometimes you need to turn off the unit and restart it for changes to take effect. From memory this is true for profiles.
"Perfection is attained not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing more to remove".
Mark F
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Lophophaps » Sun 02 Oct, 2016 7:59 am

Mark F wrote:I don't know whether this is the case but sometimes you need to turn off the unit and restart it for changes to take effect. From memory this is true for profiles.

I've had the GPS on and off several times, no joy.
Lophophaps
Auctorita modica
Auctorita modica

Postby Strider » Sun 02 Oct, 2016 9:53 am

This is by far the most useful trick to setting up an Etrex 20/30. I have mine setup with a Dashboard on one page, and Map as the other. Main menu is easily accessed by tapping the Light key twice. Much more user friendly.

http://www.aukadia.net/gps/lw3_4.htm

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk
Strider
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby andrewp » Sun 02 Oct, 2016 1:39 pm

Lophophaps wrote:Position format - a screen with three areas:
Top ............. hddd
Middle ......... Map Datun WGS 84
Bottom ......... Map spheriod WGS 84

Position format should be UTM UPS. hddd... means degrees, hence you're seeing lat lon.
andrewp
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby keithy » Sun 02 Oct, 2016 3:34 pm

As Mark and Andrew mentioned you have to change the Position Format to UTM UPS.

So it will look like:
IMG_20161002_131849.jpg

Then when you open the Satellite page you will see the grid reference displayed
IMG_20161002_132413.jpg

Restarting etrex is not necessary for this action
keithy

Postby Lophophaps » Sun 02 Oct, 2016 5:42 pm

Thanks for that advice. This is what I am doing
Position format - a screen with three areas:
Top ............. hddd
Middle ......... Map Datum WGS 84
Bottom ........ Map spheriod WGS 84
Scroll down to Map datum WGS 84 and push the button. I still get lat and long. I've done this a dozen times, restarted, still not working.

I would like a map screen with a map and a GR. I've looked at three sets of instructions and the answer is elusive. Third, the waypoints are breeding faster than Tribbles. It seems that any time the button is pressed a waypoint is created. Is there any way that this can be turned off? Also, can waypoints be deleted?
Lophophaps
Auctorita modica
Auctorita modica

Postby Mark F » Sun 02 Oct, 2016 5:56 pm

You need to leave the datum and spheriod alone. They are correct.

Select the hddd - top item and scroll down to "UTM UPS" and select it. If it has been selected it will show UTM UPS in place of the hddd.

Personally I prefer the map screen to be all map as the screen is so small to start with.
Mark F
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby keithy » Sun 02 Oct, 2016 8:43 pm

Lophophaps wrote:Position format - a screen with three areas:
Top ............. hddd
Middle ......... Map Datum WGS 84
Bottom ........ Map spheriod WGS 84
Scroll down to Map datum WGS 84 and push the button. I still get lat and long. I've done this a dozen times, restarted, still not working.

I would like a map screen with a map and a GR. I've looked at three sets of instructions and the answer is elusive. Third, the waypoints are breeding faster than Tribbles.

OK I see the confusion. On the setting page shown in my screenshot above, the "Position Format" is not a heading for the whole page, it is the heading for the top section alone.
  • Highlight it (so yours should have the "hddd" highlighted) then depress the joystick.
  • this should now bring up a list of various position formats.
  • Scroll down using the joystick and locate UTM UPS.
  • When UTM UPS is selected depress the joystick to change to UTM UPS
If done correctly it should reflect the screenshot posted earlier. The top segment should now say Position Format UTM UPS.

You can customise the main map page to also display the grid reference. I just illustrated with the satellite page for ease of reference.

Waypoints can be created quickly by depressing the joystick and pressing down again to confirm (Done) in almost every screen. This can lead to unintended waypoints being added.

To delete / edit errant waypoints you enter the WAYPOINT MANAGER on the Main Menu. This is what it looks like:
IMG_20161002_183501-2.jpg
IMG_20161002_183501-2.jpg (57.24 KiB) Viewed 32394 times

Apologies for the super large images. I am currently on the way to Europe and replying on mobile is a bit challenging.
keithy

Postby keithy » Sun 02 Oct, 2016 8:50 pm

This is a video from the ever helpful Canadian store GPScity that will might be easier to understand how to change the position format change on your etrex.

keithy

Postby Lophophaps » Mon 03 Oct, 2016 9:44 am

Brian and Keithy, most helpful, many thanks. The area " Map Datum WGS 84" seemed to be for selecting that. Confusing. I now have the satellite screen with what appears to be a GR. I cannot say for sure as I do not have an OS map of Melbourne, but the form is correct. One minor variation. The top line starts 55 H and not 32 T as in the picture above.

The map screen has 28 mm of map by height and 18 mm of two lines, sunset and elevation-odometer. I'm interested in having the GR and the map only on this screen, but cannot see how it can be done.

The waypoints have been deleted. However, I'd like to stop them being recorded in the first place. It seems that any button click records a waypoint. Can this be disabled, and is it possible to selectively delete waypoints?

One interesting observation. Most of the waypoints were created at home, at my desk, with fair to good signal acquisition. The waypoints are up to about 150 metres from where I am, with a brownian motion track.
Lophophaps
Auctorita modica
Auctorita modica

Postby neilmny » Mon 03 Oct, 2016 11:42 am

55H is correct. If you were in western Victoria around Halls Gap it would be 54H.
THe most eastern part of Australia is 56H or 55J.
32T is somewhere near Northern Italy on the Mediteranian.
Have a look at this http://geokov.com/education/utm.aspx - scroll down to the projection map.
neilmny
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Strider » Mon 03 Oct, 2016 11:44 am

Lophophaps wrote:The map screen has 28 mm of map by height and 18 mm of two lines, sunset and elevation-odometer. I'm interested in having the GR and the map only on this screen, but cannot see how it can be done.

I don't have my unit in front of me but I'm pretty sure this is managed in the Map settings. You can choose between zero, 2 or 4 dashboard displays on the map screen. Personally I have all data readouts on the dashboard
"page" (see link in previous post) and the Map "page" clutter free. Will have a look tonight and try to give some further detail.
Strider
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby keithy » Mon 03 Oct, 2016 12:22 pm

I should have been clearer. The 32 T UTM reference from my example is in Southern Germany. In your location in Melbourne the UTM grid of 55 H is correct.

To change what is displayed on the map page. Press the physical Menu button on the side once. This will bring up a Dialog box. Select "Change Data fields". Scroll to see the options available.

For your waypoints query, I think you might be confusing the track log with waypoints. Remember a tracklog is a collection of waypoints. On the etrex 30 the default is to automatically start recording the tracklog when the GPS gets a signal. The reason it is showing erroneous tracklog when you are at home is because the GPS signal is poor. So the recorded tracklog will appear to be moving even though you are actually stationary at your desk.

You can turn off the automatic track log recording by going to Settings / Tracks.

Then the first box you have to change it to DO NOT RECORD

IMG_20161003_094603-1.jpg
IMG_20161003_094603-1.jpg (52.17 KiB) Viewed 32300 times

But remember that if you want it to start recording you will need to go back into this setting again and change it to Record again.
keithy

Postby Lophophaps » Wed 05 Oct, 2016 8:32 am

progress, is good. I've got the right map reference, and track log is off. This seems to be the blue flags and not the tracks, which I belive is the breadcrumbs. Is this correct?

I've elminatd the sunset part of the map screen, and now have the top showing speed and heading. Neither are much use, and what I'd like is a GR at the top. This will save backing out of the map to the GR screen. Is it possible to have a GR and nothing else at the top of the map screen, and if so, how is this done?
Lophophaps
Auctorita modica
Auctorita modica

Postby Strider » Wed 05 Oct, 2016 10:22 am

Lophophaps wrote:progress, is good. I've got the right map reference, and track log is off. This seems to be the blue flags and not the tracks, which I belive is the breadcrumbs. Is this correct?

I've elminatd the sunset part of the map screen, and now have the top showing speed and heading. Neither are much use, and what I'd like is a GR at the top. This will save backing out of the map to the GR screen. Is it possible to have a GR and nothing else at the top of the map screen, and if so, how is this done?

No offence, but have you read the user manual?

You can either have 4 fields, 2 fields, or no fields on the map screen. Yes it is possible to have your position displayed as one of these fields.
Strider
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Lophophaps » Wed 05 Oct, 2016 1:00 pm

I have read the manual and other sources of information. None are especially useful. Page 29 of the manual refer to the dashboard. It would have been useful if the manual defined specialist terms. Page 29 gives advice ending in "3 Select the dashboard". There is no advice that I can find about how to put a GR above the map. It seems to be possible but advice on how to set this up is proving hard to find.
Lophophaps
Auctorita modica
Auctorita modica

PreviousNext

Return to Techno-Babble