etrex 20 newbie help

For all high tech electronic equipment including GPS, PLB, chargers, phones, computers, software. Discussion of simple electrical devices such as torches, belongs in the main 'Equipment' forum.

etrex 20 newbie help

Postby ScorpioBoyRising » Sat 17 Dec, 2016 12:01 pm

So I have a etrex 20 that has been sitting in my cupboard and rarely taken on hikes. I actually want to learn how to use this thing and keep it for emergencies or off track hikes. I have been searching the google and can't quite find the answer to my question. I purchase and download Vic Topo Maps that come in PDF format only (if there are other paid or free alternatives good for Australia with similar detail let me know). How do I put these PDF maps onto the etrex 20?

On another note I also upload these PDF topo maps to my iPhone but have since discovered the what used to be free app called Avenza Maps is now trying to charge USD$43 per year for this functionality...any other options to look at here? Got no problems paying but subscription costs like this is crazy. Once off yeah I get it but every year, no thanks.
ScorpioBoyRising
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Region: Victoria

Re: etrex 20 newbie help

Postby Mark F » Sat 17 Dec, 2016 12:26 pm

Garmin devices do not support Topopdfs.
"Perfection is attained not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing more to remove".
Mark F
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Australian Capital Territory

Postby bumpingbill » Sat 17 Dec, 2016 3:01 pm

If you're interested in topo maps for the eTrex20, check out "Shonky Maps" http://shonkylogic.net/

I've got them and they're great! And completely free. There are guides out there to show you how to download them and install them.

However, I've found after a lot of use with my GPS that the maps on the device aren't worth much. It's *far* better to take a paper map, and use the GPS for finding your location via the grid references.
bumpingbill
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Tasmania

Postby peregrinator » Sat 17 Dec, 2016 9:07 pm

There may be a better option. As andrewp noted here on 3 November 2016, he has uploaded new versions of his OSM maps (all Australian states plus NT). The link is

https://my.pcloud.com/publink/show?code=kZEsQTZig48YCOLBNkiufwY06B6dSEegVby

A number of people who are far more knowledgeable than me on these matters have commented favourably in this forum on these maps. I’ve installed a few of them on my Etrex 20 and they’ve been very useful, but I emphasise that I have only put them to limited use so far as I’m still inexperienced in GPS operations.

There is probably some info you can use in the link below but as I’ve found, one question has many answers, some of which lead off to tangents and frustration. So just keep asking more questions until you find the right answer for your needs!

http://bushwalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=20233&p=272814&hilit=upload+maps+etrex#p272814
peregrinator
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Victoria

Return to Techno-Babble