Allpowers 10w Folding Solar Panels?

For all high tech electronic equipment including GPS, PLB, chargers, phones, computers, software. Discussion of simple electrical devices such as torches, belongs in the main 'Equipment' forum.

Allpowers 10w Folding Solar Panels?

Postby domonic » Sat 20 May, 2017 11:32 am

Recently I bought a folding solar panel made by Allpowers.. They're a chinese brand (sold worldwide) and claim to be using the newest hi-tech Sunpower Solar panels made in the U.S. This one was distributed from Allpowers in Australia.

This is the 10Watt version I bought. Whilst the price is allot less than other type of solar panels like this I suspected that it may just be a mediocre solar panel which would do a minimum job. But looking at the panels now that it has arrived it looks completely fake. Really annoying. It does generate a current but as you draw more amperage the voltage drops.

The most I could get out of it was 1.6 Amps but the voltage would not go above 3.06 volts. Very strange.
What I wanted to do was draw on the communities knowledge of fake solar panels. The ones I have look like strips of plastic stuck to a backboard. Obviously rubbish.

This was bought through AliExpress which came from Allpowers themselves. Could they be running an international racket of fake solar panels? It seems likely from what I've seen from these. What is more confusing is all the great reviews of these panels.

Take a look at these images and tell me what you think. Especially see around the edge of the panels themselves. They look like bits of plastic stuck to a backboard ;) See attached.
IMG_20170520_111614.jpg

IMG_20170520_111627.jpg

IMG_20170520_111633.jpg
domonic
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: Victoria

Re: Allpowers 10w Folding Solar Panels?

Postby Mark F » Sat 20 May, 2017 12:41 pm

The fact that you are getting 1.6A out of the panel suggests it is not a fake. A 10 watt panel in theory delivers 2A @ 5V. Panels basically never deliver nameplate output because of the solar intensity used in the testing protocol is almost never reached in the real world. Given it is winter the 1.6 amp output seems reasonable. If you look at output graphs for solar panels you will see that voltage drops as the power being drawn from the panel increases. This shows as a slow decline to near the rated power output and then a very steep decline from there. What is problematic is that you are measuring 3.06 volts which would stop almost any USB charging device from actually charging. So some diagnostic questions.

What are you trying to charge? A phone with 20-60% charge is a good choice.
Does the device show that it is charging? Is the charge light on on the device, not the solar panel.
Does it report an increase in charge over time? Leave it an hour and check the battery level.
If the answers to the second and third question are yes, then does the increase seem reasonable in light of the battery capacity allowing for charging inefficiencies?
"Perfection is attained not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing more to remove".
Mark F
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Australian Capital Territory

Postby domonic » Sat 20 May, 2017 2:45 pm

Thanks for your detailed reply.

I'm not trying to charge anything. I'm using a device which imposes a load and a small USB tester which measures the output of the item. I can increase the amps drawn but in bright sunlight (on a hot day), the voltage drops when under load.

Yes I've tried to charge a phone and it goes backwards despite the fact that the phone shows that it's charging. The phone was on 48% to begin with.. 60 minutes later it was on 44%.

It's easy enough to get a refund for this but I'm just seeing whether I'm being too pedantic. The small powerbank solar panels do a better job than this. That has me concerned.

I think my concern is that these panels (whilst not really working very well), also look incredibly fake. Can you comment on the pictures I have posted?

Also.. Here are some pictures of the tester I've used. I can vary the load by turning the small brass knob on the part with the small cooling fan.
IMG_20170520_150409.jpg

IMG_20170520_150424.jpg
domonic
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby Mark F » Sat 20 May, 2017 3:55 pm

The cells don't look right. The two panels I have with Sunpower cells both have six bars across the each cell - 12 in total. These are an Anker panel [url]/www.anker.com/products/A2422011[/url] and a new smaller panel I have written about in the post http://bushwalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=24317 Yours only have 10 bars. This may indicate that they are putting out around 4.8 - 5v which will lose about 1v after the diode etc. would explain the 3 volts you are seeing and the inability to charge a phone even though the phone is seeing power (just not enough volts). On my panels each cell is 130mm x 125mm with two cells 260mm x 125mm.

I have wasted my money on a cheap cell that claimed USB output but was only a 5v cell and of course didn't work. To get a USB charge voltage (5 - 5.5v) you need to start with 6v or higher cells or put a voltage booster (reduces amps) into the circuit.

I suggest get a refund and try the Anker panel.
"Perfection is attained not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing more to remove".
Mark F
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Australian Capital Territory

Postby domonic » Sat 20 May, 2017 4:02 pm

Mark F wrote:The cells don't look right. The two panels I have with Sunpower cells both have six bars across the each cell - 12 in total. These are an Anker panel [url]/www.anker.com/products/A2422011[/url] and a new smaller panel I have written about in the post http://bushwalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=24317 Yours only have 10 bars. This may indicate that they are putting out around 4.8 - 5v which will lose about 1v after the diode etc. would explain the 3 volts you are seeing and the inability to charge a phone even though the phone is seeing power (just not enough volts). On my panels each cell is 130mm x 125mm with two cells 260mm x 125mm.

I have wasted my money on a cheap cell that claimed USB output but was only a 5v cell and of course didn't work. To get a USB charge voltage (5 - 5.5v) you need to start with 6v or higher cells or put a voltage booster (reduces amps) into the circuit.

I suggest get a refund and try the Anker panel.

I think you are right and I agree that the cells don't look right.. The customer service rep says that they put two designs of sunpower panels out and both are legit.. I'm not sure either is legit.

Excellent tip about the voltage. I'll look for something with those specs. The Ankar panal does look better so I'll probably go with that.
domonic
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Return to Techno-Babble