Buying a new Portable folding solar Panel?

For all high tech electronic equipment including GPS, PLB, chargers, phones, computers, software. Discussion of simple electrical devices such as torches, belongs in the main 'Equipment' forum.

Buying a new Portable folding solar Panel?

Postby domonic » Wed 24 May, 2017 6:24 am

I just send back a dud folding solar panel made by Allpowers. I'm wondering if anybody can recommend a folding solar panel for trecking and camping which will do a decent job of charging phones and tablets, and powerbanks.

I would like to use only two panels but three if necessary. From the reviews, I believe Anker is pretty good and I have also read that RavPower makes a good folding solar panel.

They will need to be flexible enough to carry in a backpack.

Any other recommendations?
domonic
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: Victoria

Re: Buying a new Portable folding solar Panel?

Postby crollsurf » Wed 24 May, 2017 8:27 am

Have you read this thread. Sounds like you can charge a phone in 2-3 for just over 100g
http://bushwalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=24317&p=325288&hilit=solar#p325288
crollsurf
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: New South Wales

Postby domonic » Wed 24 May, 2017 4:30 pm

Good link.. I realize Monocrystalline cells are supposedly popular for their efficiency but I really want to go with Thin Film.
There's some pretty good reviews on these. It's just hard to find in Australia. Damn Amazon won't post to Australia in allot of cases.. Pretty annoying.
domonic
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: Victoria

Postby dnaylor » Sat 09 Sep, 2017 12:21 am

Hi... :)
I've had some nice results with this sort of panel http://www.ebay.com/itm/302073461971?ss ... 1436.l2649 and also the three section ones made up of the same style panels off ebay.. generally i have a small one like this sitting on top of my pack while i walk and its plugged into a powerbank.. might as well charge something as i'm walking during the day... also i have a small battery clip that lets me charge my spare samsung batteries off a powerbank ( i have one in the mobile and 2 spares that i swap around as needed) the 3 batteries is because i use my samsung xcover3 as my navigation tool (it receives GPS & GLONASS and i use "maverick" as my nav app) also my steripen and torch are USB rechargeable.. so on multi day walks i sometimes use the larger 3 fold panel on my pack... if you get a couple of units i suggest you buy one of these also.. its a "Y" connector...
http://www.ebay.com/itm/2-Pcs-USB-2-0-F ... 2749.l2649
dnaylor
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Region: New South Wales

Return to Techno-Babble